$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default Linaeum Tweeter Resurrection

First off I'll start by admitting I built a project without doing my homework and reading though all the great resources provided on this message board. I completed the build, listened to my speakers and was dissatisfied with my results. With that said I'll give you guys all the info on what I used in my build and see if you guys could offer up any advice on tweeking my design, its my first ever project for wood working and speaker building, so I guess part of it is the cost of learning.

I had a pair of Optimus LX5's and the woofer blew on one of them, I wanted to re-use this tweeter because the speakers always had crystal clear highs and sounded much better than anything else I've ever owned. I also like solid hardwood. My original idea was to build two solid hardwood replacement cabinets and find a woofer that was close to the original 5" spec and size wise and use the Linaeum tweeter and the optimus crossover. After disassembling the LX5's to extract the tweeter and XO I realized how dinky the supplied XO was and how nice and beefy the pre-assembled Dayton XO's were on PE (PE# XO2W-2.5K) . So I bought a dayton crossover, then while looking for a sutible woofer I came accross the Bravox 12Ohm 5.5"
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-062
    My thought was 12+12+12 in parrallel = 4Ohm which would work with the Dayton XO, so what turned into a small project ended up being a 50" floor standing speaker.

Now for my results, I calculated the internal volume to around .68 on my cabinet, slightly less than the recommended .78 and my enclosure is sealed, no port. My speakers sound crystal clear, impressive detail and imaging, I don't have any measuring tools but I would say I have nothing below 175hz, the woofers move, you just don't hear any boom what so ever. They are stuffed with .5 lb of acosta stuff in each cabinet, would adding a port to my build fix my problem? Take a look, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	246884_1929874500111_1639692970_1903659_7997039_n.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	17685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	283060_2069139901659_1639692970_2015248_4564549_n.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	17686  

Default Re: Linaeum Tweeter Resurrection

You have no baffle step compensation. That's why you're not getting any output.

perhaps the 175hz figure was a typo. supposed to be 75hz?

Quote Originally Posted by KeithE View Post
    The woofers move, you just don't hear any boom what so ever.
    Keith: Are you absolutely sure the woofers are wired correctly?
    Movement without output is often an indication of a polarity flip.

75hz may b a more acurate figure, I have no measuring device so that's purely my untrained ear talking. I am pretty sure they are wired correctly, I have three 14ga leads soldered off each post on the XO one pair going to each woofer, they are 12 ohm, so by my calculations 12 12 12 in parallel is 4 ohm, and I have the 4ohm jumper set on my dayton XO

How would I go about correcting the baffle step compensation? I did some reading on the internet and a site suggested an in line pair of components, is this what I need to look in to?

Like I mentioned above, they sound fantastic from the mid-mid's to the top, its just the lower mids to bottom i'm missing. The three woofers are all in a tightly sealed .68 compartment of the solid poplar cabinet, double thick top and bottom plate, 3/4" solid poplar every where else, mid brace in the cab seperates top woofer compartment from the rest.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately there's a catch 22 to a drivers ohms. They aren't constant throughout the frequency range. You might be in the ball park higher up but I found when I was trying to model 2 of the bravox woofers in parallel as the bottom end of a three way crossover instead of the expected 6 ohms PCD was actually predicting them to be under 4 ohms.

I'd also expect there some potential snags due to the CTC spacing between the woofers and the tweeters.

As for adding a port I'll try to see what happens in unibox

Take it easy
    Jay
    "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
    Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
    Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
    Levitation TM
    - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Blog Entries

From Unibox it looks like three of the drivers in parallel would want a 50L enclosure tuned to ~ 40 Hz. For 20 liters it doesn't look like you'll gain much since you're already getting an F3 of 75 Hz sealed. Tuning the 20L enclosure for the three drivers in parallel to 48 Hz will give you an F3 of 66 Hz. Either way you'd probably still want to run them with a sub.

Take it easy
    Jay
    "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
    Levitation TM

Great info Brewski, I appreciate you looking into all of that. I'm currently using them as the front chanel of my 7.1 which they are great for, still employing the Polk Monitor 70's for music. They sound great, just no extension, I guess overall I'm fortunate they came out as well as they did for me not doing any research or educating myself properly. I would love to do another project using the Linaeum tweeter, a strong extending three-way with the Di-Pole on top. There available on e-bay for around $50 / pair.

btw I really like your work Brewski, love the hardwood front baffle on the Levitation TM's

Blog Entries

Thanks for the compliment I was admiring the finish on your towers as well. I like the contrast between the red and the blue. Looking at the blue woofers on line the color turned me off somewhat since I wasn't sure appearance wise how it would turn out. I ended up buying a pair of the silver 12 Ohm 6.5" woofers that I need to build a speaker for at some point.

Take it easy
    Jay

Levitation TM

Thanks, I looked thought your builds and noticed there all adult beverage inspired, the color stain on my towers is actually "Cabernet" matches all my living room furniture, about 5 coat's of Varathane Cabernet, heavy sanding between the first two and last three, followed by about 3 coat's of satin poly, could have used a couple more but I got impatient. I found that sanding after the first couple coat's really exaggerates the grain pattern, the really thirsty parts keep some color and end up much darker, bringing out the cool colors and patterns out in the wood.

How do you plan on using your 12ohm Bravox speakers? Are you planning on a multi driver system like I did? Overall I think there pretty decent speakers for the price, and the odd ohm rating allows a lot of flexibility, its a good looking speaker, the blue and the silver cone versions. It's a plastic frame vs/ cast aluminum, but there a heck of a buy.

Thread Information