$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default Behringer DCX2496 Crossover Configuration Questions

I have a Behringer ULTRA-DRIVE PRO DCX2496 that I want to configure as follows.

Amp 1 - full range (not filtered at all - speakers have passive xovers in them)

Amp 2 - full range (not filtered at all - speakers have passive xovers in them)

Amp 3 - just allow low freq (I'll get the ranges) to a set of bass bins.

I have a usb to serial cable but haven't attempted to get it to work. I heard they can be touchy. Heard it's easier to configure using the software then using the control panel on the device. I'm game either way though.

I also need to pick up a pcmcia memory card to store my configurations. (they shouldn't be changing anytime soon) Any recommendations?

Anyone familiar with this crossover who can help save me a lot of trial and error? I downloaded all the software/updates from the support site.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DCX2496.aspx

Default Re: Behringer DCX2496 Crossover Configuration Questions

Set 1,4 and 2,6 to have infinite Freq. i.e. 20-20K

Set 3 & 6 for your low freq.

BTW, I'm not sure if you need that card to store your settings. I think it has a bit of RAM onboard. I store several at a time on mine.

I can walk you through the panel settings.

Blair

I'll bring the gear inside and will post when it's in front of me. The subs are a older set of EAW SB 150's that I got for free. I'd like to use them if possible for a halloween party I'm having.

Frequency Response (Hz)
    3 db 33 Hz to 300 Hz (43 Hz w/out CCEP)
    -10 dB 29 Hz (32 Hz w/out CCEP)

If thats accurate.

http://www.eaw.com/info/EAW/Loudspea..._datasheet.pdf

Use the serial cable! It makes the DCX a breeze to configure and you can store an infinite number of setups on your computer. You have to watch what com port your OS assigns to the serial/USB adapter. Mine will only connect with the DCX when assigned to certain ports. Port 3 has always worked for me on either of my 2 laptops.
    Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Like blair, I never needed a memory card to store settings. I never got my computer to hook up either.

Don't need a memory card. Plenty of space to store configs. I'm using a usb to serial adapter. With the Omni Mic on the laptop with the Beringer interface, setup is a breeze and it's fun to see the effects in real time.

Cheers
    Dennis

I'm running whatever firmware/software that came with this device. Any point in updating (if I'm not current)

I've been running one for... wow, 6 years? 7 years?

The internal memory is good for ~30? settings.

The best thing you can do is to page through all the parameters and play with them. Some of the dynamic eq and dynamic compression/limiter settings can get a little weird if you're not used to them, but for home audio use they are mostly not used. I used them when running an open baffle (well, it was weirder than that) sub, to protect the drivers and amp.

I found it was VERY instructive to change the crossover types, re-set the levels (3 ways, so the mid level changes depending on the filter type on the w/m and m/t) and polarity, and listen for the changes in perceived sound. To do it right you really need to adjust the crossover frequencies too, or you'll destroy drivers. So instead of re-soldering some components, or building multiple crossovers, all I have to do is press a couple of buttons to recall a different setup.

Best sounding but lowest power/spl capability setup is 6dB/octave. Best power/spl handling is 24dB/octave. Decent compromise has been 12dB/octave.

Ok, I got the thing working with the serial cable. Not easy to do since computers don't come with serial ports anymore.. but anyway..

I'm going to play with the settings some, but feel free to chime in anytime.

Configuration I need.

Source -> Mixer -> DCX2496

out 1 -> amp 1 -> completely unfiltered - full range
    out 2 -> amp 2 -> completely unfiltered - full range
    out 3 -> amp 3 -> EAW SB 150's

I'd like to set everything and save it. I'll be able to test it tomorrow during the day and make any changes I need then.

Amp 1 & 2 are running to speakers with built-in xovers. I don't want any filtering done at all. Amp 3 is driving a couple sub boxes.

Thanks for whatever help you can give!

Quote Originally Posted by joshag View Post
    Ok, I got the thing working with the serial cable. Not easy to do since computers don't come with serial ports anymore.. but anyway..

I'm going to play with the settings some, but feel free to chime in anytime.

Configuration I need.

Source -> Mixer -> DCX2496

out 1 -> amp 1 -> completely unfiltered - full range
    out 2 -> amp 2 -> completely unfiltered - full range
    out 3 -> amp 3 -> EAW SB 150's

I'd like to set everything and save it. I'll be able to test it tomorrow during the day and make any changes I need then.

Amp 1 & 2 are running to speakers with built-in xovers. I don't want any filtering done at all. Amp 3 is driving a couple sub boxes.

Thanks for whatever help you can give!
    If I wasn't going to process my outs 1&2 with the Behringer why not just bypass them directly to their respective amps. Use the Behringer to process out 3 as needed.

Dennis

I'm coming off a 1 output mixer. Normally this works fine when just using a standard setup like source - mixer - amp - speaker (with built in xover). But since I'm bringing on 2 more amps and more speakers this seems to make sense (and that's what this crossover was made to do). Either that or I have to get a bunch of Y-adapters and split everything off the back of my mixer and then still use the crossover anyway for my extra subs.

Why wouldn't I just run everything through the crossover, push what I need through unfiltered, have better cable management and just filter the outputs that are going to my subs? Isn't that what this piece of hardware that I already own is made to do? (filter as needed/where needed)

Played with the software some, created some settings and was able to upload them to the crossover. Here's what I came up with, let me know if I'm on the right track.

Outputs 1,2,4,5 should be wide open? 3 and 6 are set to sub-woofer and I think I used the right ranges for the sub I'm using. Is that correct? Any recommended changes?

I'm not really sure if I have these set right. Should I set them at 33 Hz? 30? 29? Or should I be higher.. 43? Should I be playing with the dB setting on the bottom?

I'm guessing their CCEP has some EQing going on, but without knowing what the transfer function looks like, you are flying blind in the regard. They spec a HP of 25Hz at 24db/oct in the pdf. Your LP is really high for a pro sub box. Most people cross much lower - like 80 to 120 Hz. If things sound boomy, it's probably the subs trying to play too high. Use the output controls at your own discretion. I use them with our rig, boosting the level coming in. There has been some discussion about limiting the effective bit depth when attenuating the inputs & outputs. Not sure if anyone has done testing on that theory though.
    Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

I'm really just learning so forgive me for asking questions that may seem trivial.

So I have them reversed?

Start with these changes and see how it sounds?

LP Filter - 80-120 Hz (currently at 296?)
    HP Filter - 25 Hz (currently at 30?)

And just play with it from there and see how it sounds?

Thank you for the reply btw.

With that in mind.. do I have all my settings backwards for HP/LP on the outputs that I want wide open?

Quote Originally Posted by joshag View Post
    I'm really just learning so forgive me for asking questions that may seem trivial.

So I have them reversed?

Start with these changes and see how it sounds?

LP Filter - 80-120 Hz (currently at 296?)
    HP Filter - 25 Hz (currently at 30?)

And just play with it from there and see how it sounds?

Thank you for the reply btw.
    No problem - we all start somewhere and you have a great tool (the DCX) to use and learn.

It looks like your HP & LP are correctly configured. It doesn't matter on the full-range outputs, since you are bypassing them anyway. Unless you have the gear and the knowledge to take measurements, you'll have to rely on your ears to tell you when you are in the ballpark for your sub/full-range crossover points. I have not had great luck with ground-plane measurements in the venue.

With that said, you may want to forgo the HP filters in the amps powering your top cabinets. You'll have much more control on a single interface using the DCX and you can actually be out in front as you make adjustments instead of having to run back and forth from the amp rack.

BTW, you can still use the parametric EQ functions on those outputs if needed. It's a handy feature if you don't have a dedicated EQ. The one major downfall, especially if your using this in a live music setting, is that the audio will drop out with any major changes of most parameters. The delay features on the outputs can be quite powerful, but suffer from data dropouts with almost any changes.

So as long as the HP & LP are set to 'off' then the Hz settings doesn't matter? (makes sense)

The source is basically a DJ coming through a standard 'DJ' style mixer with XLR outputs into the DCX. He'll have some basic EQ control on the mixer itself, but will probably not mess with the settings much once it's set. The 2 amps and 2 sets of full range speakers are basically the same gear just running to 2 different areas. The subs will be in the larger room where people will probably be dancing. (it's a medium sized bar)

I have a whole day before the event to go in and play around so I may be begging for help before this thing is all said and done anyway.

The software definitely made things pretty simple. I've installed the software on a laptop that will be at the event which makes me feel a little more at ease.

Thanks again for the help.

Got everything working I think. The 2 EAW boxes sound like crap so I'm thinking perhaps the speakers may be blown. The party is Friday and with the gear that's there I'm ok with how things sound without the EAWs.

Thanks again for everyones help!

Good luck and watch those guest DJs...they sometimes have a tendancy to push a system as far as they can....or farther!

Oh yeah.. and with dubstep being popular it won't take much to test the limits of any systems bottom end. :|

Thread Information