$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default Used wrong type of primer, how now?

So... i bought the wrong type of primer (shouldn't have trusted the guys at the store) and primed the front baffle with it. Apparently it is anti-corrosion. I tried to sand it but it is such a pain. I'm pretty sure the primer is completely dry, yet the texture is quite gummy

I'm only spray painting the front baffles black. The original plan was to veneer the entire cab, but the local veneer suppliers only stock 2x8 veneers with nothing bigger so i won't be able to use one veneer piece to do the front + 2 sides, that's why i changed my mind on veneering the front.

Right now i'm wondering if i can go out there and get some proper sandable primer and coat it over the existing primer layer, stack a few more coats and sand it down. Would i be able to get the surface flat n smooth that way?

Default Re: Used wrong type of primer, how now?

yeah, i learned that the hard way too. how long did it set? if it only had a couple of days, give it a few more. you could opt for a coat of undercoating and paint. i have seen this done.
    " And it's not just the end result -- nice speakers or a cool amp -- but the creative process that adds richness to my life; and an artistic outlet. A cool looking speaker qualifies as art in my book."
    Tom Zarbo, January 2014

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Recently happened to me also. I properly primered my baffles with Krylon rattle-can, then tried to top coat them with a brush on latex. That didn't go on very smooth at all, so I needed to sand it all off. What a mess - very gummy!
    Unless you want a heavy texture on your baffles like truck bed liner, you will need to sand it all off. Use 80-120 grit, and be prepared to use up a few sheets as they gum up.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "We're down to our last 5 pairs of speakers!" Ms. Ken Lay
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

NS6-255/Vifa BC25SC06 TM design - AURBACS
    NS6-255/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM design - MAURBACS
    High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM

a random orbit sander is only $20 at harbor freight. i have two of them.
    " And it's not just the end result -- nice speakers or a cool amp -- but the creative process that adds richness to my life; and an artistic outlet. A cool looking speaker qualifies as art in my book."
    Tom Zarbo, January 2014

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

No idea what you used, but you say it is still gummy. Perhaps it can be softened with mineral spirits or whatever the packaging says to thin with, and scraped off.

Quote Originally Posted by sorue View Post
    So... i bought the wrong type of primer (shouldn't have trusted the guys at the store) and primed the front baffle with it. Apparently it is anti-corrosion. I tried to sand it but it is such a pain. I'm pretty sure the primer is completely dry, yet the texture is quite gummy

I'm only spray painting the front baffles black. The original plan was to veneer the entire cab, but the local veneer suppliers only stock 2x8 veneers with nothing bigger so i won't be able to use one veneer piece to do the front + 2 sides, that's why i changed my mind on veneering the front.

Right now i'm wondering if i can go out there and get some proper sandable primer and coat it over the existing primer layer, stack a few more coats and sand it down. Would i be able to get the surface flat n smooth that way?

Sorry for your troubles with the primer. No way you could have really known on that one.

I've used this on a few projects before and it's really nice looking stuff:

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=31

It looks like textured plastic when it's dry and you can add more texture by adding additional coats. It comes in colors, but you can paint with black spray paint after it dries for a totally black finish. As long as there are no holes or deep scratches in your baffle, it should look pretty decent. Just do a test to make sure it will not interact with the primer in a bad way.

Here's what it can look like: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...highlight=tomz

P.S. Leaving something like that in your car with the sun warming it up can help paint cure up pretty quickly I've found.

Best of luck

TomZ

+1 on Tom's suggestion for the Rustoleum Textured Mulicolored - that stuff rocks. Don't use it in very high humidity though

I once tried latex paints on a cabinet in an attempt for a faux finish, and it was ugly. By design, latex stays flexible and sands poorly.

I taped sheets of 60-grit sandpaper to a sheet of MDF with double-stick tape, and rubbed the cabinets back and forth across the surface. Coarse grits don't load as much as finer grits. Having the sandpaper taped to a flat surface maintained flatness of the cabinet sides.

While you'll get a little exercise doing it, it didn't take too long to get back down to MDF.
    Bill Schneider
    -+-+-+-+-
    One word = one milli-picture

Quote Originally Posted by tomzarbo View Post
    ....I've used this on a few projects before and it's really nice looking stuff:

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=31
    This looks like the same result i get from THIS:

I use it a lot on baffles and the prep is a lot less rigorous than a flat/semigloss finish.

Bob

Bill,

Out of curiousity, if you were going for a faux finish, why sand? I've done a couple of the "texturey" faux and they turned out pretty well. I also haven't found a need to sand a latex color coat if the surface prep has been adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by williamrschneider View Post
    I once tried latex paints on a cabinet in an attempt for a faux finish, and it was ugly. By design, latex stays flexible and sands poorly.

I taped sheets of 60-grit sandpaper to a sheet of MDF with double-stick tape, and rubbed the cabinets back and forth across the surface. Coarse grits don't load as much as finer grits. Having the sandpaper taped to a flat surface maintained flatness of the cabinet sides.

While you'll get a little exercise doing it, it didn't take too long to get back down to MDF.

I was trying to get rid of the faux finish

It was truly ugly, and I wanted to get back down to bare MDF for veneering instead.
    Bill Schneider
    -+-+-+-+-
    One word = one milli-picture

Blog Entries

If I were faced with this problem, I'd probably remove the paint. There are a couple of ways, and the first I'd try is using a heat gun. Quite often, the paint will soften and can then be scraped away. If that doesn't work, consider using a paint remover.

For the benefit of anyone else who might be reading this string, and thinking about their own project, I always test finishing materials on a scrap piece before applying whatever type of primer or paint I plan on using. Unless, of course, I've used the material before and know exactly what to expect.
    Last edited by Soundslike; 10-24-2011 at 10:03 PM.

That, I understand. Been there!

Quote Originally Posted by williamrschneider View Post
    I was trying to get rid of the faux finish

It was truly ugly, and I wanted to get back down to bare MDF for veneering instead.

You need whatever chemical can remove that garbage and a sharp scraper or similar. When you have 95% of it off, use a sander and some rough grit. When that's done, throw that product in the trash so you don't make the same mistake twice. Like me, and most here, you became a sucker to B.S. marketing from my guess. Nothing angers me more. Write that product down so you never use it again.

Thread Information