$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Extreme Cabinet Bracing! What Do You Think?

This is the trouble that Swiss manufacturer Goldmund goes through to brace their monitors and bass modules. All of their bass modules are of an isobaric design. All of the cabinets and bracing systems are made out of metal. What do you guys think? Are these the ultimate cabinets? Or a wasted effort?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goldmund Epilogue 8.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	20705   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goldmund Epilogue 9.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	20706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goldmund Epilogue 10.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	20707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goldmund Epilogue 12.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	20708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goldmund Epilogue 13.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	20709  

Default Re: Extreme Cabinet Bracing! What Do You Think?

And a few more pictures

Name:	Goldmund Epilogue 14.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	20710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goldmund Epilogue 16.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	20711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goldmund Epilogue Signature 1.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	20712   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goldmund Epilogue 3.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	20713   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goldmund Epilogue 6.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	20714  

Far from ultimate, IMO. Shelf/Rib braces >>>>> dowel-style braces

My next cabinet is going to consist of 1/2" BB or MDF, with 1/2 to 5/8" of poured microsil non-shrink grout, with 3/4" dowel braces spaced minimum 8" OC side to side, top to bottom, and front to back. The microsil grout is about 60 to 80 MPa strength. It's self leveling and easy to work with. Stronger than concrete, without the gravel

"All that trouble" and they still rate the FR of their Epilogue systems @ +/- 10db.

They can stick their $300k speakers (and metal braces) up their rear ends....Oooo...all metal construction ....that's gonna leave a mark.

Hmmmm... I'm not sure what you're reading, but they rate all of their speakers at -3dB except for the full system. Which is rated at -10dB to show that it has a 10Hz output. If you think 10Hz at -10dB is bad, you've lost your mind

Not that I care, but they actually spec phenomenal. This has nothing to do with a +/- dB rating.

http://goldmund.com/products/epilogue_full_system

Blog Entries

All that metal, expense, and FUGLY, to boot. Ultimate? Nah.

If you're going to the trouble to build a custom metal enclosure to make it well braced, and then completely ignore baffle diffraction, simply means they really don't know all there is to creating an "ultimate" enclosure.

Now THIS is much closer to "ultimate" and it's not even metal.

I can squeak out a -10db brown note after too much cheap Tex-Mex and that's with minimal bracing.

When I think of cabinet bracing and cabinet that is good I think of
    these:
    http://magico.net/Company/index.php
    and these:
    http://rockporttechnologies.com/
    and of course B&W matric bracing.

NOT the goldmunds.

Those Goldmunds look to me like they're made w/ 1/2" thick aluminum. Even w/ minimal bracing those would be sturdier than any amount of wood. I'm definitely far from any kind of professional in the speaker industry but I do know wood and I do know a bit about steel (or aluminum). They are fugly though and if I had $300k to light on fire, I don't think I'd buy those

Pete, I totally understand where you're coming from. I have also questioned Goldmund's decision not to round the baffle edges, or flush mount the drivers (for that price!). They don't even bother to flush mount the tweeter on their lower end (relatively speaking) speakers. Although to be fair, the drivers are definitely flush mounted on the Epilogue 1 speakers and in addition, the tweeter has a thick diffraction felt around it. In their Epilogue 1 Signature speakers, Goldmund also flush mounts both the tweeter and the woofer and in addition places a waveguide over the tweeter (ScanSpeak). So you really cannot fault them there.

Now, I personally own a pair of the Goldmund Logos1 monitors (Vifa DX25TG05-04 and Peerless 830875). And I have also made an exact replica of them, complete in metal, with the same dimensions, crossover, and parts. Ignore the date in front of the speaker/picture, I had to prove to someone on another forum that I actually owned the speakers.

As you can see, neither drivers are flush mounted, nor are the baffle edges rounded. Yet, they measure a flat +/-1.5dB (in my room, gated) and even better in the tweeter's region. It's strange, I know. But they really know what they're doing and back up their design choices with real life measurements and science.

P.S. The Goldmund speakers use a well braced enclosure made out of 1cm thick bar stock aluminum (for their budget line). And they increase the baffle's thickness to 2cm for the reference Epilogue system. No MDF, plywood, etc. enclosure, regardless on how well it's braced, will even come close to these cabinets.

Now Magico is a different story...

Name:	Logos1 Real.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	20715   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Logos1 Replica.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	20716   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speaker test 11.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	20717  

As much as I am going to regret throwing the troll some kibble - it is really, really, really easy to get flat on-axis measurements regardless of baffle geometry. It can be done with $5 woofers and tweeters. It can be done with any driver arrangement and crossover topology you desire.

Take some off-axis measurements, and then figure out why not paying attention to diffraction is, to use your choice of phrasing, an "epic fail".

The goldmund probably uses PCB's though.

Johnny, funny you should mention the PCBs. Goldmund actually uses a point to point wired/soldered crossover, all covered with a 3M 6" diameter heatshrink tube! The tweeter's and the woofer's crossovers are separated. This is certainly epic fail for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Schumacher « View Post

If you're going to the trouble to build a custom metal enclosure to make it well braced, and then completely ignore baffle diffraction, simply means they really don't know all there is to creating an "ultimate" enclosure.

Wait, did he replace the C-Quenze with an Illuminator? Or is that just a prototype?

+1 for the Illiuminators, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Schumacher « View Post

A bit off topic... but DoubleTap, did you cry when you had to slice through that beautiful enclosure for the cutaway pic?

Wellll, really, if you're talking about air movement, all the braces should be of a laminar flow shape to reduce internal turbulence and coated to prevent secondary reflections, but that stuff isn't seen and it's taken 500 years to convince musical instrument makers there's anything to the "science" of acoustics too. The Suzuka violins are proof of this. Carbon fiber bodies and metal fins sound as good as 16th Century Maple Stradivarii.
    How much difference would all the extra effort make? Not that much, possibly just measurable in some cases, not at all in others. We use "brute force" to strengthen our enclosures mostly, rather than modern structural engineering, because it's alot easier and our raw materials are "cheap" relatively.
    I know one of my train club guy's who's an aircraft structural engineer would grimace at our "designs". But our speakers don't have to fly, either. Q: How thick of a steel bar does it take to keep a man in a prison cell? A: Not very thick if it has 27,000 VAC @ 30 amps running thru it.... (Old Oklahoma electric chair joke. "Old Sparky" was the highest VA chair in the US, but messy.)

Good lord those Goldmund speakers are possibly the worst combination of aesthetic and performance design choices I have ever seen in any product ever.

I don't understand the concept of their "full system" shown in the second photo from the right in post #2 above. In concept isn't it a TMT mounted over a sub?

(I certainly wouldn't mind owning a pair of their amps, preamp, optical drive, and turntable though!)

The full system goes like this: Midrange, tweeter, woofer (isobaric), woofer (isobaric), tweeter, midrange, subwoofer (isobaric), subwoofer (isobaric), subwoofer (isobaric), subwoofer (isobaric). Whew!

Thread Information