$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default Speaker gaskets... best practices?

So, I'm sure that this will be a dumb question, but I'm curious what the general populace does...

When do you use speaker gasket tape - and when do you not?

I assume NOT use it when the driver has a rubber gasket (ala large woofers/subwoofer). I assume USE IT when the driver has no gasket whatsoever (just the frame).

But... What about with drivers that have an integrated gasket, albeit normally unimpressive? Do you add additional gasket tape? RS225 might be an example. I think that it has a farily thin gasket between the screws and the basket.

I've been leery of using gasket tape unnecessarily - since if it's not done properly, it's easy to make the seal worse.

Default Re: Speaker gaskets... best practices?

Quote Originally Posted by jtatz View Post
    So, I'm sure that this will be a dumb question, but I'm curious what the general populace does...

When do you use speaker gasket tape - and when do you not?

I assume NOT use it when the driver has a rubber gasket (ala large woofers/subwoofer). I assume USE IT when the driver has no gasket whatsoever (just the frame).

But... What about with drivers that have an integrated gasket, albeit normally unimpressive? Do you add additional gasket tape? RS225 might be an example. I think that it has a farily thin gasket between the screws and the basket.

I've been leery of using gasket tape unnecessarily - since if it's not done properly, it's easy to make the seal worse.
    This question really belongs in the tech Talk Forum.

When the only tool you have is a hammer, all problems start to look like nails.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.

Wow, I apparently wasn't paying any attention to the forum I posted in..... asleep at the keyboard apparently. Sorry!

Could a mod please move the thread?

Thanks in advance.

How smooth and consistent are your driver holes? Assuming they are smooth and even, the "factory" gaskets are usually just fine. For nekked drivers, I actually prefer the 1/8 X 1/4" closed cell weatherstripping. The PE gasket tape is great for massive cast woofers, uneven driver rabbets, or tweeters where the hole is too deep.
    Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
    "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
    Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Blog Entries

I don't bother with gaskets except when they are already included on the driver. I have yet to detect an air leak around a driver mounted sans gasket. Try it both ways and see if you notice a difference.

Dan

Thanks for the replies guys!

Normally the holes are pretty smooth. Always use a jasper jig - so get pretty consistent holes.

The thought just occurred to me when cutting a baffle for an octagonal B&C 8CXT which is loads of fun!

I kept thinking that the driver was getting snagged on the recessed cut in the baffle when in reality it was the through-hole that was really snug. Doh!

Good answers all around...

I've used several kinds, various weatherstripping foam from your _____ home improvement store, PE's rather nice (but kinda thick) and heavy duty speaker tapes, even the rubber/tar stuff they used to (still?) give away with the speaker install kits. Only the tar stuff I don't like, since it's kinda messy and somewhat unremovable.

If you need a thinner foam, say for tweeters, a good source is your local craft store. They usually have thin foam (1/16th, sometimes thinner) in 12" square sheets that I've used to cut gaskets from. And, uh, as spacer for those slightly too deep router moments...

I use the PE gasket tape all the time. Anything you can do to control as many of the variables as possible. Think silicone caulk for the enclosure joints, I've even heard of people using gasket tape on port tubes.

Lots of little things can make an overall big difference!

Quote Originally Posted by martyh View Post
    I use the PE gasket tape all the time. Anything you can do to control as many of the variables as possible. Think silicone caulk for the enclosure joints, I've even heard of people using gasket tape on port tubes.

Lots of little things can make an overall big difference!
    yes, I absolutely use the gasket tape on the precision port tubes. They only have 4 bolt/screw holes and for a large subwoofer, that just isnt enough. I use the PE stuff for everything, it has not let me down or left me looking for an alternative.

Thread Information