X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrickyMike
    Been Around Awhile
    • Mar 2011

Faux Carbon Fiber OS MTMs

First off, thanks to Paul. He really hit one out of the park here. These little guys are amazing! Low end you can feel in your chest from a really modest size. Rich, detailed, well balanced sound. If you're on the fence about building a set I highly recommend them.

Anyway...

Started off as usual on the milling machine and rotary table:

Cut all the driver holes for flush mount and added a little roundover to the back edge of the woofer cutouts so those little HiVis can breathe:

Hurricane Nuts with a little polyurethane glue to hold them in place:

For the ports, I cut the tubes .250" short and then cut some flat-bottomed holes into the rear panel, leaving .250 of MDF to get to the 6" required length:

Glued them in place with some polyurethane glue and then trimmed off the excess with a flush-trim bit on the router table. I owe someone here thanks for this idea... wish I could remember who, but this is a great way to do PVC ports. Super easy:

Added a couple dowels for bracing... Bit of a bird's nest of wires around the crossover at this particular moment...

I really didn't feel like painting this time around. I was going to wrap the boxes in Tolex (like a guitar amplifier,) but I remembered I had a bunch of this fake carbon fiber kicking around. Unlike actual carbon fiber, the stuff is really easy to work with and actually looks the business. Anyway, I had bought a bunch that I never ended up using and I wanted a dark color to make those woofers pop a little, so it seemed like a good opportunity to use it up. This was also infinitely less effort than painting. I just stuck it all down with 3M Super77 and then carefully trimmed the excess with a sharp razor:

The front, back and sides are all one piece with the inevitable seam on the back panel:

One last shot of the flush-mount and fake carbon weave:

There is one strange thing going on, though... I have a bit less high-end coming out of one of the speakers than the other. I double checked the crossovers and they're both correct. Not really sure what's going on. It's really slight, but I can definitely hear it if I A-B them with a balance knob. Maybe I have a bum tweeter?

Anyway, thanks for looking!
  • witchdr
    Been Around Awhile
    • Jan 2012

Re: Faux Carbon Fiber OS MTMs

Looks great!!!! Where did you order that faux carbon fiber from?

Comment

• TrickyMike
      Been Around Awhile
      • Mar 2011

Thanks. I picked it up on Ebay... I just tried digging through my history for the vendor link, but couldn't find it.

Comment

• djkest
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Oct 2011

Those look fantastic. Good job! I like your attention to detail. you will enjoy those speakers for years to come and I agree with what you said about them.
        -Dan
        Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

• witchdr
          Been Around Awhile
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by TrickyMike
          Thanks. I picked it up on Ebay... I just tried digging through my history for the vendor link, but couldn't find it.
          Thanks! I'm sure it's something I can search for.

Comment

• ReissM
            • Feb 2011

Nice work. They look great.

I agree... clever idea with the port.
            ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
            Sapphos
            Cables (Post #54)
            Other speakers (Post #21)
            Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
            Boundary Augmentation
            Dispersion/Interference

Comment

• devinkato
              Midrange Member
              • Mar 2011

Could you provide a tad more detail on how you get a perfect seam between the face, sides, and back against the top of the cabinet?

Do you do the top first, then the sides, or both at the same time and cut the excess?

Thanks!

Comment

• 6thplanet
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Jun 2009

X2 on the CF wrap, that's an exhalent look for those, BRAVO !!
                A mains
                The Ventures
                Open Invit8tions
                RSR
                Sound Troopers
                Acorns
                DGBG's
                The Monuments

Comment

• TrickyMike
                  Been Around Awhile
                  • Mar 2011

I did the front, back and sides first, all one piece.
                  The wrap is cut pretty generously so that there's enough overhanging all of the edges and enough for it to overlap on the back side. The only real trick to it is overlapping the two loose ends on the back and cutting through them both at once. Then you peel them back and remove the two scraps leaving a nice, even seam.

The tutorial here gives a much better explanation with pics:

LINK

I then trimmed the excess off the top and bottom. I just used a new, sharp razor to cut them flush using the box edges themselves as the guide. I added the vinyl to the top and bottom last and trimmed the excess in the same way.

Comment

• bungelow_ed
                    • Jan 2010

Congratulations on one of the cleanest looking OS MTM builds yet! That carbon fiber wrap is very svelte. Reminds me of a black panther w/ 2 copper eyes staring out at you.
                    If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
                    ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

• joeybutts
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Oct 2008

Was this Di-NOC or the 1080 series or something else? Di NOC is EXPENSIVE......for my 5.0 project Di NOC is gonna run me ~$570...1080 series about $320....
                      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

• TrickyMike
                        Been Around Awhile
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by joeybutts
                        Was this Di-NOC or the 1080 series or something else? Di NOC is EXPENSIVE......for my 5.0 project Di NOC is gonna run me ~$570...1080 series about $320....
                        Something else... Like I said I got it on eBay, but the transaction isn't in my purchase history and I can't recall the name of the vendor. However, i'm about 95% sure it was this stuff

LINK To auction

from this guy:

Link to vendor

I remember looking at the Di-NOC stuff. I ended up just buying real carbon fiber and resin... for about the same money.

Comment

• Mikers
                          Been Around Awhile
                          • Mar 2011

Nice build

Some day I'm going to get a milling machine, the possibilities!

Comment

• TrickyMike
                            Been Around Awhile
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Mikers
                            Nice build

Some day I'm going to get a milling machine, the possibilities!
                            If you have the space they're a lot less $$ than you'd expect if you're patient and wait for the right deal to come along. You don't need 3-phase service to run one either. I'm running mine (which has a 3-phase motor) on a variable frequency drive that gives me the ability to run it on single-phase power and gives me true push-button variable speed from a J-head, which is pretty cool.

single-phase in, 3-phase out:

Comment

• cwad8505
                              • Jan 2011

Very nice build, Mike. I appreciate the link for the CF. I picked some up last eve. $50 with free shipping for a 9' x 4.5' piece. Should look nice on my up-coming project. :D

Comment

Working...