$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default FS: Five W3-1053SC 3" Full Range Drivers, 5.1 project set

Hey guys,

Over the past several months, I had a dream to build my own 5.1 sound system for my bedroom. I bought nearly all the parts, except for the cabinets, which I thought I could build myself. I did use 2 of the five drivers for testing to see how they sounded in prototype 4-layer-cardboard cabinets (ported). They sounded fantastic (I tried using them both bare and also with a cloth dome tweeter - great sound either way)! But alas, life has knocked, and I just do not have the time or the motivation to finish this project right now. I'm in the middle of de-cluttering our place, and instead of having this stuff hang around, I've decided to let it go.

A poster on TechTalk forums by the name of Brian Powers has two projects based on these drivers (He no longer posts here, but his projects can be found - search for them). One is a single driver speaker with notch filter and the other is a dual driver speaker with notch filter.

Below are all the pics - Remember there are 5 of everything, except for the tweeters and the caps/coils (those were just for experimenting with the sound). The two full ranges I did use were in use for about 4 or 5 months, so they have plenty of break-in. No damage on any drivers, and I did not solder anything. Included is an unused 3" hole cutter for your drill or drill press, and ~10 ft. Dayton 18 awg OFHC wiring, 5 terminals, 2 JAMO softdome tweets, 2 Jantzen coils, 2 Jantzen caps, and five 1" port tubes.

If you are interested, please PM me with an offer. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, but I will ship for FREE to anywhere in the lower 48 states, so please consider that in your offer. I don't mind giving someone a very good deal, but no low ball offers, please. These Tang Band drivers are currently going for about $15 a piece - definitely a good price for this sound. Paypal works for me.

Specs below...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-880
    Tang Band W3-1053SC 3" Full Range Driver
    Made by Tang Band but available exclusively from Parts Express! The W3-1053SC has an attractive pincushion style frame, edge-damped poly cone, flat spider, and rubber surround. Underhung 7/8" voice coil provides linear travel and wide range. Extremely smooth, extended frequency response. Neodymium magnet with black plastic heat sink fins.

Specifications: • Power handling: 15 watts RMS/30 watts max • VCdia: 7/8" • Le: 0.44 mH • Impedance: 8 ohms • Re: 5.98 ohms • Frequency range: 100-18,000 Hz • Fs: 100 Hz • SPL: 85 dB 1W/1m • Vas: 0.04 cu. ft. • Qms: 4.77 • Qes: 0.72 • Qts: 0.62 • Xmax: 1.5 mm • Dimensions: Overall diameter: 3-3/16"; 3-13/16" diagonally, Cutout diameter: 3", Depth: 2".

JAMO 20141 1" Shielded Soft Dome Tweeter
    Compact tweeter features a textile dome, plastic faceplate, and ferrofluid cooling. The hole-less faceplate design lends itself to press-fit, glued-in, or clamped installation. Offers interesting possibilities as a waveguide driver. The motor and diaphragm share the same snap-in mounting system as other Philips/Norelco dome tweeters. Magnetically shielded. Made by Philips for JAMO. Manufacturer buyout, limited quantities. Specifications: *Power handling: 40 watts RMS/80 watts max VCdia: 1" *Impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 5.0 ohms *Frequency response: 1,600-18,000 Hz *Fs: 1,670 Hz *SPL: 87 dB 1W/1m *Dimensions: A: 3-3/8", B: 2-7/8", C: 1-3/8".

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=299-944

Default Re: FS: Five W3-1053SC 3" Full Range Drivers, 5.1 project set

Quote Originally Posted by Ken B. View Post
    Hey guys,

Over the past several months, I had a dream to build my own 5.1 sound system for my bedroom. I bought nearly all the parts, except for the cabinets, which I thought I could build myself. I did use 2 of the five drivers for testing to see how they sounded in prototype 4-layer-cardboard cabinets (ported). They sounded fantastic (I tried using them both bare and also with a cloth dome tweeter - great sound either way)! But alas, life has knocked, and I just do not have the time or the motivation to finish this project right now. I'm in the middle of de-cluttering our place, and instead of having this stuff hang around, I've decided to let it go.

A poster on TechTalk forums by the name of Brian Powers has two projects based on these drivers (He no longer posts here, but his projects can be found - search for them). One is a single driver speaker with notch filter and the other is a dual driver speaker with notch filter.

Below are all the pics - Remember there are 5 of everything, except for the tweeters and the caps/coils (those were just for experimenting with the sound). The two full ranges I did use were in use for about 4 or 5 months, so they have plenty of break-in. No damage on any drivers, and I did not solder anything. Included is an unused 3" hole cutter for your drill or drill press, and ~10 ft. Dayton 18 awg OFHC wiring, 5 terminals, 2 JAMO softdome tweets, 2 Jantzen coils, 2 Jantzen caps, and five 1" port tubes.

If you are interested, please PM me with an offer. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, but I will ship for FREE to anywhere in the lower 48 states, so please consider that in your offer. I don't mind giving someone a very good deal, but no low ball offers, please. These Tang Band drivers are currently going for about $15 a piece - definitely a good price for this sound. Paypal works for me.
    PM sent.

When the only tool you have is a hammer, all problems start to look like nails.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.

You have another PM...
    Jason

"In my opinion, there are more tactful ways to state your opinion."

Hi Ken:

Sent you a PayPal payment and a PM.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

thekorvers,

Did you buy it all?
    Jason

"In my opinion, there are more tactful ways to state your opinion."

Quote Originally Posted by RINNAV View Post
    thekorvers,

Did you buy it all?
    Yes, he offered it as a 5.1 project set. I'll probably end up building a small 5.1 single driver Bose Beater set with a simple contouring filter and end up gifting it.

Received these a few days ago, well wrapped and in excellent condition.
    Thanks Ken. It was a pleasure doing business with you.

Thread Information