$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Thread: Im Lost!!!

Question Im Lost!!!

So I purchased a pair of the floor standing speakers below but the woofer at the very bottom of each structure is not connected and there is no where to connect it to so its like a dud. The mid range and tweeters work as well as one of the woofers. But I was thinking of just buying four new woofers to put two in each structure, but I'm not really sure how to wire them or what woofers to buy. The size of the woofers that I need are 10 inches.

Why does the crossover look so much different than the new ones? Is it really old? Anyone know the specs on the crossover?

Any suggestions for some inexpensive 10 inch woofers?

On the structure it says that these are Sherwood S-2100
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eriks iphone 129.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	22254   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eriks iphone 127.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	22255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eriks iphone 128.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	22256  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Im Lost!!!

First of all:

Stop posting the same (or slightly different) questions in 5 different posts. We have no idea what you're trying to do because you have little ideas EVERYWHERE.

That said, the bottom woofers are not woofers at all, I suspect. If there's no wires running from them, they're most likely passive radiators. Do they seem to be missing magnets as well?
    nothing can stop me now

Well, the bottom woofer is probably meant to be passive so no worries there. The crossover is typical of very cheap speakers from twenty and up years ago, so that is also normal.

If everything works on these, no obvious scratching, pops, clicks or farts than I would leave them as is.

The light bulb is a tweeter protection device, incidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    First of all:

Stop posting the same (or slightly different) questions in 5 different posts. We have no idea what you're trying to do because you have little ideas EVERYWHERE.

That said, the bottom woofers are not woofers at all, I suspect. If there's no wires running from them, they're most likely passive radiators. Do they seem to be missing magnets as well?
    Yes there missing magnets and I'm so confused on why..

Blog Entries

Also, that's your average commercial crossover. Well, that one is actually somewhat peculiar in the use of a heated filament as a protection device. Really. It's got a light bulb in side of it!

Commercial speaker manufacturers will do EVERYTHING they can to use a cheap crossover. It's in their best interests from a manufacturing perspective. Hell, they'd use less than that if it didn't mean blown tweeters and midranges.

I'm betting that one cap & the resistor are for the tweeter, one for the mid and nothing on the woofers. The woofers are allowed to run full range. Their general design and paper cone will limit the top end output. So you're still thinking of replacing the woofers you're going to want a woofer that is similarly cheap with a well damped cone. Look for paper or poly cone materials.
    nothing can stop me now

Would you suggest any on parts express?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    If everything works on these, no obvious scratching, pops, clicks or farts than I would leave them as is.
    +1

I've been assuming that the drivers had foam rot or some permanent damage. But if it's just the passive radiators throwing the OP for a loop...that's not so bad.

A passive radiator operates like a ported box. They are weighted to resonate at a specific frequency. This helps prop up the low end of the bass. Also, it looks like you have twice as many woofers, which probably takes in quite a few people. After all, they look WAY more impressive than just a standard 3-way.
    nothing can stop me now

How do they sound?

Quote Originally Posted by djg View Post
    How do they sound?
    The mids and highs are good. But I listen to rap/hip hop which has a lot of bass and that's why i bought these and I was disappointed in the bass that it puts out. I'm looking into buying some new woofers for this but I just found out a while ago that I cant run two 8 ohm woofers to a 8 ohm crossover.

Perhaps leave these alone and build a single subwoofer as a beginning project, if you have a receiver with a sub out. I haven't read all your threads.

Perhaps leave these alone and build a single subwoofer as a beginning project, if you have a receiver with a sub out. I haven't read all your threads.
    I have an older yamaha receiver. But not sure if it has a sub out. All I know is that its a four channel. Would it be possible to run one of the woofers straight to the receiver?

Blog Entries

These things don't HAVE a crossover. Not really. They have a -6dB highpass network on the tweeter that barely suffices to keep it from exploding. The mid is a paper, sealed-back design that rolls off on the top and bottom ends. The problem is that you don't know where that mid cuts off so it's hard to say (without measurements) what kind of woofer would behave like the stock ones (but with more low end).

I say leave 'em alone and build a decent powered subwoofer to go with.
    nothing can stop me now

This really is your answer. With what you listen to, all you are looking for is the thump-thump-thump. So build (or buy) a subwoofer with high level inputs that can connect to the receiver speaker outputs (no sub out needed) and turn it up as high as you want.
    Last edited by JimHRB; 04-05-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHRB View Post
    This really is your answer. With what you listen to, all you are looking for is the thump-thump-thump. So build (or buy) a subwoofer with high level inputs that can connect to the reviever speaker outputs (no sub out needed) and turn it up as high as you want.
    Cheaper alternative - put the towers in the corners of the room

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B. View Post
    Cheaper alternative - put the towers in the corners of the room
    What will this do?

Quote Originally Posted by Eluna54 View Post
    What will this do?
    Putting the speakers in the corners of the room boosts the bass by reflecting the bass off the walls. -- Doug

About the only was to get decent boom out of these involves about 8 oz of C4.

If all you want is a lot of bass for cheap, get a Dayton Sub-1200 for $130. Watch the video on the product page and it will show you how to connect the sub to your system using speaker wire from your amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluna54 View Post
    So I purchased a pair of the floor standing speakers below but the woofer at the very bottom of each structure is not connected and there is no where to connect it to so its like a dud.
    Thats frickin awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by 6thplanet View Post
    Thats frickin awesome!!
    Better yet....
    A goof on Craigslist had a set of Theatre Dynamics (white van) towers for sale in NH. I knew they were white van, but the cabinets were stunning with a 5.25'' MTM and a 12 subwoofer, side firing.
    He proclaimed about how amazing they sounded...yadda yadda,
    I offered him $100, he accepted. When I got there to meet him, I moved one of the towers adn I heard something moving around inside. I removed the lower driver and the magnet had been snapped off from him dropping the cabinets. I also found the huge dent in the rear corner where he dropped it.
    I was like, so i offered $100 for your amazing sounding $1200 speakers. They are broke as shiznik now...I'll give you $50.
    He began calling me a retard and that I didnt know smack about speakers because the magnet wasnt broken off....they were actually called ----are you ready for this----
    progressive registers.
    I said, you mean passive radiators? he was like, oh yeah, those things.
    I said passive radiators dont have voice coils. What the magnet hanging in the box for then? he said thats how progressive registers work- from picking up magnetism from the music to give you extra bass.

I handed him a $20 bill, and said go buy a brain.

Thread Information