X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eluna54
    Been Around Awhile
    • Apr 2012

Im Lost!!!

So I purchased a pair of the floor standing speakers below but the woofer at the very bottom of each structure is not connected and there is no where to connect it to so its like a dud. The mid range and tweeters work as well as one of the woofers. But I was thinking of just buying four new woofers to put two in each structure, but I'm not really sure how to wire them or what woofers to buy. The size of the woofers that I need are 10 inches.

Why does the crossover look so much different than the new ones? Is it really old? Anyone know the specs on the crossover?

Any suggestions for some inexpensive 10 inch woofers?

On the structure it says that these are Sherwood S-2100
    Attached Files
  • Dirk
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Sep 2005

Re: Im Lost!!!

First of all:

Stop posting the same (or slightly different) questions in 5 different posts. We have no idea what you're trying to do because you have little ideas EVERYWHERE.

That said, the bottom woofers are not woofers at all, I suspect. If there's no wires running from them, they're most likely passive radiators. Do they seem to be missing magnets as well?

Comment

• johnnyrichards
      Obsessed & Proud of It
      • Oct 2005

Well, the bottom woofer is probably meant to be passive so no worries there. The crossover is typical of very cheap speakers from twenty and up years ago, so that is also normal.

If everything works on these, no obvious scratching, pops, clicks or farts than I would leave them as is.

The light bulb is a tweeter protection device, incidentally.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.
      https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...range-mid-bass
      https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...range-mid-bass
      https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...um-cone-woofer

Comment

• Eluna54
        Been Around Awhile
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Dirk
        First of all:

Stop posting the same (or slightly different) questions in 5 different posts. We have no idea what you're trying to do because you have little ideas EVERYWHERE.

That said, the bottom woofers are not woofers at all, I suspect. If there's no wires running from them, they're most likely passive radiators. Do they seem to be missing magnets as well?
        Yes there missing magnets and I'm so confused on why..

Comment

• Dirk
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Sep 2005

Also, that's your average commercial crossover. Well, that one is actually somewhat peculiar in the use of a heated filament as a protection device. Really. It's got a light bulb in side of it!

Commercial speaker manufacturers will do EVERYTHING they can to use a cheap crossover. It's in their best interests from a manufacturing perspective. Hell, they'd use less than that if it didn't mean blown tweeters and midranges.

I'm betting that one cap & the resistor are for the tweeter, one for the mid and nothing on the woofers. The woofers are allowed to run full range. Their general design and paper cone will limit the top end output. So you're still thinking of replacing the woofers you're going to want a woofer that is similarly cheap with a well damped cone. Look for paper or poly cone materials.

Comment

• Eluna54
            Been Around Awhile
            • Apr 2012

Would you suggest any on parts express?

Comment

• Dirk
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by johnnyrichards
              If everything works on these, no obvious scratching, pops, clicks or farts than I would leave them as is.
              +1

I've been assuming that the drivers had foam rot or some permanent damage. But if it's just the passive radiators throwing the OP for a loop...that's not so bad.

A passive radiator operates like a ported box. They are weighted to resonate at a specific frequency. This helps prop up the low end of the bass. Also, it looks like you have twice as many woofers, which probably takes in quite a few people. After all, they look WAY more impressive than just a standard 3-way. :D

Comment

• djg
                Seasoned Veteran
                • May 2008

How do they sound?

Comment

• Eluna54
                  Been Around Awhile
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by djg
                  How do they sound?
                  The mids and highs are good. But I listen to rap/hip hop which has a lot of bass and that's why i bought these and I was disappointed in the bass that it puts out. I'm looking into buying some new woofers for this but I just found out a while ago that I cant run two 8 ohm woofers to a 8 ohm crossover.

Comment

• djg
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • May 2008

Perhaps leave these alone and build a single subwoofer as a beginning project, if you have a receiver with a sub out. I haven't read all your threads.

Comment

• Eluna54
                      Been Around Awhile
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by djg
                      Perhaps leave these alone and build a single subwoofer as a beginning project, if you have a receiver with a sub out. I haven't read all your threads.
                      I have an older yamaha receiver. But not sure if it has a sub out. All I know is that its a four channel. Would it be possible to run one of the woofers straight to the receiver?

Comment

• Dirk
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Sep 2005

These things don't HAVE a crossover. Not really. They have a -6dB highpass network on the tweeter that barely suffices to keep it from exploding. The mid is a paper, sealed-back design that rolls off on the top and bottom ends. The problem is that you don't know where that mid cuts off so it's hard to say (without measurements) what kind of woofer would behave like the stock ones (but with more low end).

I say leave 'em alone and build a decent powered subwoofer to go with.

Comment

• JimHRB
                          Midrange Member
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by djg
                          This really is your answer. With what you listen to, all you are looking for is the thump-thump-thump. So build (or buy) a subwoofer with high level inputs that can connect to the receiver speaker outputs (no sub out needed) and turn it up as high as you want.
                          Last edited by JimHRB; 04-05-2012, 08:25 PM.

Comment

• Jeff B.
                            Obsessed & Proud of It
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by JimHRB
                            This really is your answer. With what you listen to, all you are looking for is the thump-thump-thump. So build (or buy) a subwoofer with high level inputs that can connect to the reviever speaker outputs (no sub out needed) and turn it up as high as you want.
                            Cheaper alternative - put the towers in the corners of the room
                            Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

• Eluna54
                              Been Around Awhile
                              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Jeff B.
                              Cheaper alternative - put the towers in the corners of the room
                              What will this do?

Comment

Working...