$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default Driscoll in the hospital...

So I'll come clean, I have been tinkering with a LOT of designs lately, I mean a LOT. My process, boiled down (beyond this) is to get to a certain point on a design (and that point varies) and shelve it for awhile. Spend some time with something else, or just spend time listening to something I like and go back a month or three or six later and pick up on it. I have found it helps me train my aural memory to do stuff like that. I remember when I shelved these the last time how intrigued I was by their sound, and I was glad to see it was not a case of "familiarity" I am so prone to. At any given point I have two to four designs in varying stages of completion - but the last three months I have had at least twice that Wife says I am a total nerd, and obsessed to boot but what does she know?

Well this winter I had nothing better to do than tinker on designs, which is why I have so many of them already this year. Well that, and working nights leaves me with no life

Anyways, this particular project was started last October and has been revisited a few times, and last night I spent a couple hours verifying what the measurements were telling me blah blah blah listening to songs I like blah blah blah... And I have decided Driscoll needs to go to the hospital for some cosmetic and reconstructive surgery while I enjoy what I am listening to right now.

They are re-purposed Primus 150 cabinets, using the stock Primus tweeter and a Driscoll woofer (Audax sourced Max Fidelity 5-1/4"). Long story short, the Infinity tweeter is very nice, and even though I am crossed a little higher than the purists like to "hear" the over all presentation blows away Driscoll. Driscoll is, IMHO, no slouch all by itself but these are just better. I voiced them a little more relaxed, relieved the woofer of even more of the bass duties, and just did a better job overall with the design. Those Max Fidelity 5-1/4" would make a very nice dedicated midrange I think.

So anyways, no details to post since the woofer is loooong NLA, and the tweeter is pricey from Harmon, and the cabinets I used housed a perfectly servicable speaker in the first place so I doubt that anyone will be scrambling to order parts

Man, it is like I have given birth the last few weeks... Finished up a PILE of stuff I was working on AND cleared a LOT of inventory out of the garage. Cleansing the pallet for a serious build this summer, plus my Bravox HT. Also fishing.

Have a great day gentlemen, this will be the last design I finish up for quite some time. Whew!

Default Re: Driscoll in the hospital...

I totally agree with you about the Audax made Max Fidelity 5.25". I used them as the mids in my WMTM "Trials". They are suprisingly detailed without any hint of harseness. Hard to believe a poly frame paper cone $6.50 driver can sound so wonderful

I traded a pair of them to Arlis, but luckily I still have a few on the shelf
    Craig

"I used to drive WAY too fast to worry about cholesterol. Now I worry about my blood pressure."

Why I don't spray in first gear: http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/...t=100_2585.mp4

Quote Originally Posted by PWR RYD View Post
    I totally agree with you about the Audax made Max Fidelity 5.25". I used them as the mids in my WMTM "Trials". They are suprisingly detailed without any hint of harseness. Hard to believe a poly frame paper cone $6.50 driver can sound so wonderful

I traded a pair of them to Arlis, but luckily I still have a few on the shelf
    I thought of your design when I wrote that, Craig. I think I have another pair as well. They really do have excellent midrange I am wondering what to do with my last pair...

3 way with that $22 square frame 10"
    Craig

"I used to drive WAY too fast to worry about cholesterol. Now I worry about my blood pressure."

Why I don't spray in first gear: http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/...t=100_2585.mp4

Talking Re: Driscoll in the hospital...

Quote Originally Posted by PWR RYD View Post
    3 way with that $22 square frame 10"
    Or something close? You HAVE been alluding to 3-way designs in your posts recently...time to scratch that itch?

Thread Information