$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default Small enclosure, active system for outdoor listening at 50'

I've got a location where I'll be 50' or so from the listening area and would like to build a set of speakers. I already own the capability to amplify and cross (2 way) these over electronically, but am limited in space such that the mid enclosures have to be under 1.5cuft. At the moment, my intent was to use a pair of 8's or 10's in an enclosure and mate them up with a HLCD. The system will be exposed to the elements regularly so at a minimum I need coated paper.

I have done a lot of searching and read reviews on compression drivers and mids, but can't find anything that describes what sort of horn body to buy. The speakers will be approximately 7' apart and 6' off the ground. I have no flexibility in placement. My "sitting" area will be 50-70' back from the speakers and up to 25' to either side with most of my time found pretty much in the middle.

I haven't found many coated pro audio mids that seemingly would work well in a 2 way and am not sure what style of horn would be most appropriate for my situation. I wouldn't consider this a critical listening location, but I'd give up some output if the quality was considerable better.

What style of horn should I use? Any recommendations on mids?

Default Re: Small enclosure, active system for outdoor listening at 50'

How loud do you want it to be at that distance and how far away are the neighbors.

How about some under ground wire to your location?

Won't be any neighbors, if there were I wouldn't be doing this. My goal is not to frustrate anyeon. Application is mobile so burying wire isn't possible.

Blog Entries

Do you want to provide music reinforcement or only voice reinforcement at that distance?
    Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    I've got a location where I'll be 50' or so from the listening area and would like to build a set of speakers.

What style of horn should I use? Any recommendations on mids?
    I know a band that uses a pair of 2x JBL with 2404 tweeters and are clear at a greater distance than 50'.
    Lifted off the ground means a drop in bass output however.
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Thread Information