$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default W4-1720 Manufacturing Defect

I will start off by stating I did not purchase this W4-1720 from PE and is only being posted in effort to save anyone else troubleshooting time.

For reference, here is the build thread:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ight=speedster

Evidently there was going to be more of a “twist” then I could have realized…

The symptoms of this defect were the same as a small enclosure leak present only during heavy low frequency reproduction.

At first I thought this was a dust cap adhesion problem as stated in the build thread. Once I removed the speaker and inspected the area of concern, I quickly noticed the uneven cone transition area as noted in the linked pictures.

Conclusion: Manufacturing defect along the glue line of the cone to voice coil former.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W4-1720_Ser 019_QC MAG_back.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	22624   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W4-1720_Ser 019_QC MAG_front.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	22625  
    Jason

"In my opinion, there are more tactful ways to state your opinion."

Default Re: W4-1720 Manufacturing Defect

Sorry to hear about this Jason. Looks like I had a tweeter issue and you a much larger woofer issue. How you get your new woofer soon. I'm hoping to order another pair of 1720s once funds recoupe for a build of my own design. Hopefully no defects, but at least we know PE will back us if there are.

Quote Originally Posted by jsr View Post
    Sorry to hear about this Jason. Looks like I had a tweeter issue and you a much larger woofer issue. How you get your new woofer soon. I'm hoping to order another pair of 1720s once funds recoupe for a build of my own design. Hopefully no defects, but at least we know PE will back us if there are.
    Hope you do as well! That 1720 is so impressive. I took my Speedsters to school while I paint my needles and man....they sure do rock. LEts say that my coworkers were less than thrilled trying to figure out where the low frequency thumps were coming from.

Thanks Joey. Yeah, I love my Speedsters...amazing fullness from something so small and I love the ribbon sparkle. The 1720 is the only 4" I really want to use in my own designs. Seems to have a near perfect combo of extension and midrange clarity. Hoping to execute my own design using the 1720 soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jsr View Post
    Thanks Joey. Yeah, I love my Speedsters...amazing fullness from something so small and I love the ribbon sparkle. The 1720 is the only 4" I really want to use in my own designs. Seems to have a near perfect combo of extension and midrange clarity. Hoping to execute my own design using the 1720 soon.
    Keep us posted. I'll be making my second variation of the 1720 designs shortly, The Baby Eidolons with the NLA MDT40 (supposedly another model is identical to it though).

The Speedsters really are one of the more amazing designs according to my ears. I'd love to see an MTM.

I asked Paul about ab MTM, but he wasn't interested. I tried my own xover for a bit, but have up since I couldn't get measured files of the 1720 without it being in someones box.
    I'm horrible at coming up with names for my designs. Still dont have one for the one I already made and listening to now.

Thread Information