Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RINNAV
    • Jan 2011

W4-1720 Manufacturing Defect

I will start off by stating I did not purchase this W4-1720 from PE and is only being posted in effort to save anyone else troubleshooting time.

For reference, here is the build thread:
    Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation

Evidently there was going to be more of a “twist” then I could have realized…

The symptoms of this defect were the same as a small enclosure leak present only during heavy low frequency reproduction.

At first I thought this was a dust cap adhesion problem as stated in the build thread. Once I removed the speaker and inspected the area of concern, I quickly noticed the uneven cone transition area as noted in the linked pictures.

Conclusion: Manufacturing defect along the glue line of the cone to voice coil former.
    Attached Files
    Jason

"In my opinion, there are more tactful ways to state your opinion."
  • jsr
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Jul 2011

Re: W4-1720 Manufacturing Defect

Sorry to hear about this Jason. Looks like I had a tweeter issue and you a much larger woofer issue. How you get your new woofer soon. I'm hoping to order another pair of 1720s once funds recoupe for a build of my own design. Hopefully no defects, but at least we know PE will back us if there are.
    Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
    Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
    Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
    Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
    Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

• joeybutts
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by jsr
      Sorry to hear about this Jason. Looks like I had a tweeter issue and you a much larger woofer issue. How you get your new woofer soon. I'm hoping to order another pair of 1720s once funds recoupe for a build of my own design. Hopefully no defects, but at least we know PE will back us if there are.
      Hope you do as well! That 1720 is so impressive. I took my Speedsters to school while I paint my needles and man....they sure do rock. LEts say that my coworkers were less than thrilled trying to figure out where the low frequency thumps were coming from. :D
      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

• jsr
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Jul 2011

Thanks Joey. Yeah, I love my Speedsters...amazing fullness from something so small and I love the ribbon sparkle. The 1720 is the only 4" I really want to use in my own designs. Seems to have a near perfect combo of extension and midrange clarity. Hoping to execute my own design using the 1720 soon.
        Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)

Comment

• joeybutts
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by jsr
          Thanks Joey. Yeah, I love my Speedsters...amazing fullness from something so small and I love the ribbon sparkle. The 1720 is the only 4" I really want to use in my own designs. Seems to have a near perfect combo of extension and midrange clarity. Hoping to execute my own design using the 1720 soon.
          Keep us posted. I'll be making my second variation of the 1720 designs shortly, The Baby Eidolons with the NLA MDT40 (supposedly another model is identical to it though).

The Speedsters really are one of the more amazing designs according to my ears. I'd love to see an MTM.
          Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

• jsr
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Jul 2011

I asked Paul about ab MTM, but he wasn't interested. I tried my own xover for a bit, but have up since I couldn't get measured files of the 1720 without it being in someones box.
            I'm horrible at coming up with names for my designs. Still dont have one for the one I already made and listening to now.

Comment

Working...