$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default My First Project

Hi guys! I have been an observer for a while and I am finally ready to start my first speaker project.

I am very interested in speaker building so my first project I want to be flexible enough to play with. I have been a long time wood worker and obviously a large part of a good speaker is the enclosure... for this reason I want to get a decent pair of drivers and tweeters so I can play around with different size/shapes of enclosures.

Here is what I am thinking of getting:
    Tweeter: Dayton Audio ND16FA-6 5/8" Neodymium Dome Tweeter
    Driver: HiVi B3N 3" Aluminum Driver Round Frame
    Amp: DTA-2

I chose the 3" B3N because that gives me the option of playing around with smaller enclosures (Im not really looking to do large speakers right now) and seeing as they are full range I can play around with no tweeter and so forth.

The tweeter is just something I found while browsing that I thought would be a good fit. I am open to suggestions in the same price range.

now my real question.... because this is a tinker project focused on enclosures, I am not ready to start diving into building a crossover. I have seen people build very basic designs (just a couple components) to crossover the tweeter... does any one have a more specific schematic to build one of these? I have a 2yr technical degree in electronics but that was 15 yrs ago and I never used touch component level since then aside from basic projects here and there.

any help/suggestions for diving into this awesome hobby would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys/gals!

Blog Entries

Default Re: My First Project

Quote Originally Posted by buckit View Post
    Hi guys! I have been an observer for a while and I am finally ready to start my first speaker project.

I am very interested in speaker building so my first project I want to be flexible enough to play with. I have been a long time wood worker and obviously a large part of a good speaker is the enclosure... for this reason I want to get a decent pair of drivers and tweeters so I can play around with different size/shapes of enclosures.

Here is what I am thinking of getting:
    Tweeter: Dayton Audio ND16FA-6 5/8" Neodymium Dome Tweeter
    Driver: HiVi B3N 3" Aluminum Driver Round Frame
    Amp: DTA-2

I chose the 3" B3N because that gives me the option of playing around with smaller enclosures (Im not really looking to do large speakers right now) and seeing as they are full range I can play around with no tweeter and so forth.

The tweeter is just something I found while browsing that I thought would be a good fit. I am open to suggestions in the same price range.

now my real question.... because this is a tinker project focused on enclosures, I am not ready to start diving into building a crossover. I have seen people build very basic designs (just a couple components) to crossover the tweeter... does any one have a more specific schematic to build one of these? I have a 2yr technical degree in electronics but that was 15 yrs ago and I never used touch component level since then aside from basic projects here and there.

any help/suggestions for diving into this awesome hobby would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys/gals!

Welcome! I can't recall exactly, but I think there's some designs that use the B3N. Check some of Wolf's designs for the specific driver. If you want to use the tweeter in conjunction with the B3N, you will need some sort of filter/XO. The designs you've seen using just a couple of components were derived with, I'm pretty positive, some measured data and something like Jeff's PCD. It's really the best way to get a listenable result. You could play around with some basic textbook formulas, but that requires buying some coils, caps, and some resistors. Not exactly cheap with the price of inductors and anything with copper in it. I don't recommend using textbook formulas or on-line calculators that only ask for a driver's nominal impedance (4 or 8 ohms) and an arbitrary cross-frequency. If you find a design that uses the B3N and a specific tweeter, you'll be ahead on the money part, and also the listening-enjoyment part. If you don't want to mess with the XO part, I'm sure there is a single-driver speaker that uses just a contour filter, like Wolf has done. You seem familiar with the forum, but if you haven't yet, go to Paul's site and read everything under "Resources" at the right of the page:

http://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy

It won't take very long, and you'll have a better idea of what's involved and why it's a good idea to have a properly-designed XO and the many variables at work when trying to do so. Ray Alden has a great book "Speaker Building 201" that is very beginner-friendly. It won't teach you XO designing, but it has a ton of useful info and how's & why's.

John A.
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

"Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles" - John Surtees

Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
    Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro cassette
    Pioneer TX-9500 II tuner
    Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
    Statement Monitors

Photos:
    http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx

Blogs:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Default Re: My First Project

Quote Originally Posted by johnastockman View Post
    Welcome! I can't recall exactly, but I think there's some designs that use the B3N. Check some of Wolf's designs for the specific driver. If you want to use the tweeter in conjunction with the B3N, you will need some sort of filter/XO. The designs you've seen using just a couple of components were derived with, I'm pretty positive, some measured data and something like Jeff's PCD. It's really the best way to get a listenable result. You could play around with some basic textbook formulas, but that requires buying some coils, caps, and some resistors. Not exactly cheap with the price of inductors and anything with copper in it. I don't recommend using textbook formulas or on-line calculators that only ask for a driver's nominal impedance (4 or 8 ohms) and an arbitrary cross-frequency. If you find a design that uses the B3N and a specific tweeter, you'll be ahead on the money part, and also the listening-enjoyment part. If you don't want to mess with the XO part, I'm sure there is a single-driver speaker that uses just a contour filter, like Wolf has done. You seem familiar with the forum, but if you haven't yet, go to Paul's site and read everything under "Resources" at the right of the page:

http://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy

It won't take very long, and you'll have a better idea of what's involved and why it's a good idea to have a properly-designed XO and the many variables at work when trying to do so. Ray Alden has a great book "Speaker Building 201" that is very beginner-friendly. It won't teach you XO designing, but it has a ton of useful info and how's & why's.

John A.
    Well, this might just be MY way of thinking, but it you just want to screw around with boxes right now (sealed vs ported, and if ported, different sizes and tunings) a 3" driver (THIS 3", as opposed to somethng like the AURA NS3) isn't going to be much different no matter what box it goes in.

If you got a woofer that could do maybe 70-80 Hz sealed, and 35-40 vented (probably a Qts in the .30's or .40's), THEN you'd see a greater difference IMO.

Chris

Thread Information