X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark65
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Jul 2007

OK boys, pick it apart!

This is the XO I've come up with for the as yet unnamed RS180S-8/XT25TG30-04 project that I'm working on. Cab is going to be a PR alignment, ~33.5 liters, tuned to 34 Hz, modeled F3 ~32Hz.

LR4 slopes at 1800Hz, tanked second order electrical plus a series notch on the woofer, third order electrical plus a series notch to address the impedance spike on the XT25.

The thing that troubles me is the transfer function plot, and the fact that the woofer is showing up in the FR plot up high.

Soooo.....go ahead and give me your thoughts, good, bad or indifferent. I really want this project to be the best that it can be, so any and all opinions are welcome.

TIA,

Mark
    You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd
  • joeybutts
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Oct 2008

Re: OK boys, pick it apart!

Amazing!!!!

uhmmmm:rolleyes: I have no idea. Hopefully some one can come in and confirm so I can see some build pics!

Good luck MArk!
    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

• cjd
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Sep 2005

You have a 0mH .84ohm inductor? ...

This looks purely simmed?

I know this is weird coming from me, but the parts count vs the results seems high. Sure looks pretty though.
      diVine Audio

Comment

• PWR RYD
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by cjd
        You have a 0mH .84ohm inductor? ...
        That's the only way to sim a parallel tank cap across the low pass inductor.
        Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

• PWR RYD
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Dec 2009

Yeah, the parts count is a little high but.... wow! Fantastic looking FR, phase tracking, reverse null, and power response!!!!! Looks like a full 6 dB of BSC? Did you also sim the baffle diffraction? If so then "Great Shot Man!" I like it! I just purchased 4 of those RS180S-8's for an MTM with the RS28F.
          Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

• Brewski
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Feb 2010

Mark,

It looks beautiful the only change I might suggest is making it a bottomless notch by taking the .47 resistor out to prevent the bounce back up at 10K+ on the woofer side. Also as you probably already know from prior posts and Wolf's blogs you'll want a resistor after the .20 cap since there isn't a resistor in line with C2.

Take it easy
            Jay
            "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
            Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
            Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
            Levitation TM
            - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

• dthomas
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Sep 2005

Wow a lot of parts...:o

Way to beat them drivers into submission.
              Dave

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
              If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran

Comment

• johnnyrichards
                Obsessed & Proud of It
                • Oct 2005

I have heard from reputable sources that 1800 is probably a little low for the XT25.

I also wonder if the second notch on the woofer is actually necessary - can you not get enough of a tank with just the one?

What did you use for offsets? Driver diameters? Just curious, as I have found playing in simulation land that power response on 4th order LR rarely ends up looking like that. Curious to see how you got there.

The unfiltered tweeter response looks fairly smooth, as well - did you run that one through the RM program? Generally there is a little more uneven response down low - speaking of which, the tweeters low end response needs to be extended instead of flatlining like that. As-is, your phase will not be accurate. In fact, you can see the tweeter phase tailing off at ~200 Hz, same as the point where the response flat lines. It is arguable if this is an audible issue or not, though.

If the offsets are more or less accurate and the FRD files have been cranked through RM than the sim looks good so far and you would be ready to start voicing. Well done!
                Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.
                https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...range-mid-bass
                https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...range-mid-bass
                https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...um-cone-woofer

Comment

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Aug 2008

all of the above.
                  is this with measured response in box? if so, build it. well done.
                  " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                  Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                  http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

• bolland83
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Jul 2009

Looks like you've been busy. Maybe we can get together when you're ready to make some sawdust, if you haven't already.
                    My modest builds:
                    Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
                    Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
                    Armadillo Center Channel
                    Au-Rock-O Sub
                    Tarkus
                    Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

• Paul Carmody
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Nov 2006

Based on my experience, you might still hear the woofer "hissing" through at 8 KHz where the breakup is coming back. I had this issue when doing 2-ways with the RS180... I was hearing extra sibilance even with the tweeter disconnected. Once i went all the way to 3rd order (w/ tank notch filter), the breakup was down by 50+ dB, and it was no longer audible.

For the sake of experimentation, did you try my woofer filter from the Amiga? If not, feel free.
                      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

• Mark65
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Paul Carmody
                        Based on my experience, you might still hear the woofer "hissing" through at 8 KHz where the breakup is coming back. I had this issue when doing 2-ways with the RS180... I was hearing extra sibilance even with the tweeter disconnected. Once i went all the way to 3rd order (w/ tank notch filter), the breakup was down by 50+ dB, and it was no longer audible.

For the sake of experimentation, did you try my woofer filter from the Amiga? If not, feel free.
                        Ok, this is the feedback I was looking for. Thanks to everyone who posted.

I actually was thinking about going third order electrical on the woofer, just to see what might happen. I agree that there are a lot of parts here, and I don't like that, not at all. BUT, I want these to surpass anything that I've done so far, so if throwing parts at it is the way to achieve that, then so be it. Still, if I can lose some of them, and keep things viable, I'm all for it.

Also, both drivers have been run through RM, positioned on the baffle, and I used .025m for the z offset.

I'll be looking at the Amiga xo, if for no other reason than to find out what I'm doing wrong....

Mark

~Pink Floyd

Comment

• Mark65
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by bolland83
                          Looks like you've been busy. Maybe we can get together when you're ready to make some sawdust, if you haven't already.

Absolutely. I'm 100% down with that.

Mark

~Pink Floyd

Comment

• cjd
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Sep 2005

I don't tend to use PCD for this kind of stuff because I never remember exactly how to get the tool working the way I want - it's just not intuitive, I can't look at the spreadsheet and know what's where. I missed the "before" circuit below that. Sigh.

I was able to attenuate -40dB on breakup with just a 1.5mH+30uF+zobel on the RS180-4 on the surrounds I did for my HT. I often find myself at a 3rd order, or a 2nd order + tank (plain parallel LC no R), with the RS180. I always do the LC *after* a standard intro, which seems to provide better overall shaping for me.

I'm not sure if Paul found those sibilant or not, but he's heard them.
                            diVine Audio

Comment

• Wolf
                              Obsessed & Proud of It
                              • Sep 2005

What's the tweeter Z look like? You're -3dB at 2kHz already, and the notch will help, so you may be okay. I'd still listen for nasality as-is.

Johnny- sometimes a double-notch is warranted. The effect of a resonance or energy storage usually has to be 'shorted out' after the voltage dividing lowpass. (If you want rid of it completely anyway.)

Looks pretty good to start with, Mark!

Later,
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...