$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: New Crown XLS 1500, or used Adcom GFA 5500??

Quote Originally Posted by jinjuku View Post
    Have you gone directly from Source to Amp and bypassed the pre?
    There's no easy way to do that. My SACD player does have a volume control, but accessing it can only be done through the OSD and that would be a pain. All I have for a tv on that system is a LCD computer monitor that I only hooked up so I could adjust the settings on the SACD player. I actually can't even hook the B&K preamp to the monitor because the monitor only has the computer style hook up, no RCA style or S-video input. I think I might shop up a 32" LCD tv and hang it on the wall, but that would come after I build my bar/cabinet for this to all go in. The Adcom amp doesn't have any form of gain or level control.

If you mean trying that just to see if the thump goes away, the thump presents iteself regardless of whether or not the pre is powered on or off. And based on what I've read, the thump is common with these Adcom amps.
    "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk

Well, based on Jinjuku's contributions here, I went to my local Guitar Center and picked up a Crown XLS 1000 to try.

Using only a 10K Alps pot. between my sources and the power amplifier, I can certainly tell a difference in sound between the Crown vs. the Rotel RB-850 and Adcom GFA-535II amplifiers that I also own.
    The Crown sounds way more transparent & open, while the older Class AB amplfiers sound somewhat laid-back and veiled by comparison.
    Initially, I was somewhat disappointed as I took the more open sound of the Crown as added brightness(as far as the highs are concerned) to most music...something I hadn't heard in the other amps..
    I think the Class AB amps. make bad recordings sound a little more tolerable, while the Crown doesn't do anything to help smooth over poor recordings.

The Crown is the first Class D amplifier that I've ever listened to or owned.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire3 View Post
    The Crown sounds way more transparent & open, while the older Class AB amplfiers sound somewhat laid-back and veiled by comparison.
    Initially, I was somewhat disappointed as I took the more open sound of the Crown as added brightness(
    I personally like equipment that gets out of the way. One reason I go straight from sound card to amp.If you have a Rotel/BK/Parasound/Emo etc slightly fiddling with what the intended signal is then, IMO, you have a compromised setup and not getting what the Musician working with the Mixing Engineer meant to be delivered.

I made the recommendation of a Pro-audio amp at Polk Forums and was lambasted for it (a poster there had a very limited budget and he was talked into an old Carver and then refurbishing it ) never mind my suggestion would have yielded new equipment and probably better sound quality. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them think.

Your trip to get the Crown cost's you next to nothing if you don't like the amp. Also the 1500 and above have a 8dB lower S/N ration. By the numbers about 600% better?

Yes I like my Crown because it is more open and I have never once experienced fatigue with it. I don't need EQ via Amp.

One thing I have noticed is with the gain controls set about halfway, I do here a little hiss from the tweeters. I didn't know the 1500 and above models are quieter.

I had a Carver TFM series amp. back in the 90's. I only kept it a short time before selling it. I didn't care at all for the bloated bass and rolled off highs.
    I understand the transfer function modified amps. were Bob's attempt to make a solid state amp. sound more "tube like".

If you want to hear a more "tube-like" solid state amp, that still has full/flat frequency range, have a listen to an old Forte Model 5. They're wonderful on mids/highs. Just don't expect them to articulate and bang-out heavy/low bass frequencies.

One thing I have noticed is with the gain controls set about halfway, I do here a little hiss from the tweeters. I didn't know the 1500 and above models are quieter.

I had a Carver TFM series amp. back in the 90's. I only kept it a short time before selling it. I didn't care at all for the bloated bass and rolled off highs.
    I understand the transfer function modified amps. were Bob's attempt to make a solid state amp. sound more "tube like".
    My Parasound HCA 1000a's had more tweeter hiss than the DriveCore 1000. With the 1500 you may not even get that. My XLS402D is dead silent.

I had a few Carver's over the years: M400, TFM series. They didn't stay around for long.

So is the 1000 staying, going, or switch up to the 1500 now that you have had some time on it?

I was using my XLS 802D and XLS 202D the other day to bi-amp a pair of ND105 4" midwoofs and ND20FA tweeters while I tweaked the (active) XO filter point. Talk about overkill. I was amazed at how quiet those amps are considering the gain on tap. With a laptop to PreSonus AudioBox USB to dbx DriveRack to amps, it was silent until I got within a few inches of the speakers -- then I could hear a little digital noise.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNickity View Post
    I was using my XLS 802D and XLS 202D the other day to bi-amp a pair of ND105 4" midwoofs and ND20FA tweeters while I tweaked the (active) XO filter point. Talk about overkill. I was amazed at how quiet those amps are considering the gain on tap. With a laptop to PreSonus AudioBox USB to dbx DriveRack to amps, it was silent until I got within a few inches of the speakers -- then I could hear a little digital noise.
    From what component?

The noise? Probably the PreSonus box. It squeals a bit when the 48v phantom power is on. It gets worse as you turn the main volume knob down to zero. The DriveRack is all digital too, but I've never heard any noise that I could trace back to it before. There's also a Line 6 digital wireless receiver and a couple 166XLs (analog compressors) in that rack that get powered on by the master power strip.

I.e., I don't suspect the amp had anything to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jinjuku View Post
    My Parasound HCA 1000a's had more tweeter hiss than the DriveCore 1000. With the 1500 you may not even get that. My XLS402D is dead silent.

I had a few Carver's over the years: M400, TFM series. They didn't stay around for long.

So is the 1000 staying, going, or switch up to the 1500 now that you have had some time on it?
    The Crown is definitely a keeper for me. I'll be selling the Rotel and Adcom amplifiers that I've accumulated over the years.

I think I'll stick with the 1000 as I don't listen to music at higher levels and the hiss at lower levels is inaudible unless you're very close to the tweeters.

Plus I got a extra 15% off for President's Day, bringing the price down to $278 including sales tax.

I think Crown amps. hold their value quite well, so if I should decide to upgrade in the future I'm sure I can get most of my investment back.

If you decide to upgrade, the XLS1000 can be an excellent amp for a sub or pair of subs.

The Crown is definitely a keeper for me. I'll be selling the Rotel and Adcom amplifiers that I've accumulated over the years.

I think I'll stick with the 1000 as I don't listen to music at higher levels and the hiss at lower levels is inaudible unless you're very close to the tweeters.

Plus I got a extra 15% off for President's Day, bringing the price down to $278 including sales tax.

I think Crown amps. hold their value quite well, so if I should decide to upgrade in the future I'm sure I can get most of my investment back.

Now someone will accuse you of being me

Thread Information