$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Duratex and MDF finishing questions

You can buy the pint size trial kit for $15 plus shipping here...

http://www.speakerhardware.com/durat...grade-pint.php
    HAGD,
    Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Darren
    they also sell spray grade Duratex for $52.50 plus shipping here...

http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Ca...ade-Black.html
    HAGD,
    Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

I think Id rather use the roll on version. 0therwise Id have to mess with the viscosity to spray it with my guns most likely.

The Saga continues. It really is true when some people say, "Finish is a good carpentry job RUINED!"

The test pieces I did yesterday turned out awesome! Today,,,, a much different story. I poured the paint into the tray and started with one cab, before moving on to the next. It seems during that time the paint thickened up a bit so the texture on the second cab was much more pronounced than the first. Not happy!

So I sanded it all off,,, well not all, just the texture. Went to HD, bought another roller and mixing cup. Mixed 8oz paint with 1oz water and started again. This time painting the front of both cabs, than one side on both, than another and so on.

They're drying now and looking much more even than this morning. For the next coat I'll knock back the paint with 2oz water to 8oz paint. Stayed tuned,,, Mark

Duratex definitely isn't Sherwin Williams latex paint from Home Depot. There's a bit of artistry that goes into applying it evenly. You have to work fairly quickly because it starts drying within I'd say 5-minutes once it hits the substrate.

Here's a tip. Only pour what you need for your first application in your tray. Then put the lid back on the bucket and make sure it's air tight. Once you introduce air to this stuff, it starts to thicken. I wouldn't try to do a pair of speakers with one pour. That would take multiple pours.

I don't even use a tray. I dunk the roller in the bucket and I have a sheet of scrap cardboard on the side that I use to help spread the duratex onto the roller evenly. Then I work quickly with a heavy first coat and I don't worry about the texture since I know I'm going to do some light sanding.

I do the second coat the same way - no tray...just a roller dunk and some cardboard. But I also keep a second (blank) roller handy to help control the texture. The second roller never goes into the bucket...it's just for matting down the texture to taste.

This might sound like too much work/effort, but it’s not. Once you get the hang of this, you’re going to want to use the product more often.

Thanks Brian,,, I'll give that dry roller thing a try tomorrow. I do agree that there is a little "Artistry" needed. Unfortunately, that's what I lack.

Doing this reminds me of the old joke,,, A guy in New York asks a cab driver, "How do you get to Carngie Hall? And the cab driver says,,, Practice, Practice, Practice!"

So tomorrow I'll practice a little more. Later, Mark

brYan knows what hes talking about. trust him.
    " And it's not just the end result -- nice speakers or a cool amp -- but the creative process that adds richness to my life; and an artistic outlet. A cool looking speaker qualifies as art in my book."
    Tom Zarbo, January 2014

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/

http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Well,,, I'm calling them done.

Bryan, the dry roller trick is a good one! It helped me stop the glopieness around the edges.

Still not quite the texture I was looking for but good enough for my first try. Here's a couple pics. My camera won't focus any closer which is just as well cause they look better from further away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Slant 6's 001.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	402.4 KB 
ID:	33688   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Slant 6's 012.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	574.7 KB 
ID:	33689  

Those look pretty damned good to me man. Give them a full week to cure and the finish will be rock hard and also a little less shiny. For the first few days the finish will be susceptible to dents, dinks, etc because while the paint is indeed dry to the touch, it's not fully cured. After a week, the curing process is complete and you will be able to tell that the finish feels much more durable.

That finish looks great. I gotta get some of that stuff. Glad you commented on the problems you had so others could post their tips.

Somebody should point this thread out to the guys at Acry-Tech. Their stuff isn't just for pro-audio cabinets.... like they market it in their videos!! It makes sick baffles and home audio cabinets too...LOL.

Nice job Mark. I only have one question... Are you going to spray the inside of the port tubes?
    HAGD,
    Marc

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Quote Originally Posted by WernerM View Post
    Nice job Mark. I only have one question... Are you going to spray the inside of the port tubes?
    Nope! The wife said to leave them white.

I wanted to just brush the duratex into them, but she said " NO! Leave them white, I'll tape it off for you."

I told her she better do a good job cause if it gets under the tape I'll have to paint them. So tomorrow I'll remove the tape and we'll see how well she did

Quote Originally Posted by Psycoacoustics View Post
    Nope! The wife said to leave them white.

I wanted to just brush the duratex into them, but she said " NO! Leave them white, I'll tape it off for you."

I told her she better do a good job cause if it gets under the tape I'll have to paint them. So tomorrow I'll remove the tape and we'll see how well she did
    LOL... You could spray them the same brass color as the screws!
    j/k
    HAGD,
    Marc

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

LOL... You could spray them the same brass color as the screws!
    j/k
    Ooh,,, now there's a thought! Lets hope the paint got under the tape.

Oh lord what did I do???
    HAGD,
    Marc

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Sorry couldn't help myself...

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=29
    HAGD,
    Marc

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

No worries buddy! Actually,,,, I may be able to get my hands on some gold foil at work.

The wheels they are a spinin'

Quote Originally Posted by john trials View Post
    [url]Acry-Tech even has a $19.95 trial size!!!
    Yes, I just ordered the trial size, can hardly wait to try it out. They processed my order quickly, it's already on its way.

Does anyone have any experience with how well Duratax adheres to MDF that has been covered with a 50/50 mix (blue label Titebond II wood glue/water)?

I have some speaker cabinets that are coated with 2 to 3 layers of it (it's like a hard shell), and I'm thinking about coating them with Duratex, because I need a really simple and cheap way to finish them. I've been out of work so long that risking $20 is too much just to test it, if it's not going to work. I'm hoping a rough scuff with some sandpaper will give the Duratex something to cling to.
    Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Thread Information