• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ejh2854
    Midrange Member
    • Feb 2013

Re: Duratex and MDF finishing questions

Originally posted by [email protected]
    reading the pdf on the website, it sound like a little water may hlp it get smoother. what quanity di you get?
    Me? ...in my case, at least, it was just getting a handle on technique; was using a small (3") roller to be able to reach inside the horn, and managed to slop it around quite a bit.

I bought a gallon, not knowing how far it'd go:

http://www.speakerhardware.com/duratex-roller-grade.php

...and will have beaucoups left over.

Ed Henderson

Comment

• JCSquats
      Been Around Awhile
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by bkeane1259
      Just one other tidbit of advice: If you use Bondo on your cabinets, you will need multiple Duratex coats over that area, and sanding in between helps a lot. Duratex doesn’t like Bondo, but it will work just fine with a couple coats.
      Bryan - what about a good multi-purpose primer over the Bondo, then Duratex? I've got a crude-but-strong MDF box prepared for an 8" woofer that I'm teaching myself how to fill the joints and uneven panels with the magic of Bondo, sanding, and sealing. Ultimately I know I can use the Duratex to hide a lot of that, but I'm trying to get a close to perfection as possible, before I apply it.

Comment

• DarrenM
        Midrange Member
        • Dec 2012

That's a damned good question. After a week or so the finish is incredibly hard - almost like plastic. It's water-resistant too, so I'm not sure about how well it will allow paint to adhere to it.

Are you considering buying this stuff if it can be painted?

EDIT: I just realized they also sell it in white. I'm sure you can tint the white to any color you want. Maybe send them an email to confirm??
        I buy my sealer in white and black and I can mix any shade frome plain white to dark black and any shade of grey in between

Comment

• bkeane1259
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JCSquats
          Bryan - what about a good multi-purpose primer over the Bondo, then Duratex? I've got a crude-but-strong MDF box prepared for an 8" woofer that I'm teaching myself how to fill the joints and uneven panels with the magic of Bondo, sanding, and sealing. Ultimately I know I can use the Duratex to hide a lot of that, but I'm trying to get a close to perfection as possible, before I apply it.
          Yes, primer will help and Duratex likes primer. I have done Duratex right over bondo patches and it works but it takes several coats to completely cover the bondo'd area. Acrytech recommends using spackle instead of Bondo, but I like the durability of bondo, so I just can't get myself to use spackle on a speaker cabinet.
          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club
          [SIZE="1"]
          Speedster | [URL="http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=229236"]Sub Attach

Comment

• DarrenM
            Midrange Member
            • Dec 2012

Yes, primer will help and Duratex likes primer. I have done Duratex right over bondo patches and it works but it takes several coats to completely cover the bondo'd area. Acrytech recommends using spackle instead of Bondo, but I like the durability of bondo, so I just can't get myself to use spackle on a speaker cabinet.
            In that case I would use urethane primer surfacer (maybe even laquer primer) instead of multiple coats of duraflex. Most urethanes are 4:1 and a quart plus a half pint of activator will go quite a ways. Id use kitchen type (metal) measuring spoons so you could mix a ounce or 2 at a time. Not sure about rolling, but spraying, 1 ounce will cover a little over a sq. ft with 2 heavy coats and it will be sandable in 3 hours. Even less if you use a heat lamp

Comment

• LouC
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Oct 2005

so, can it be painted?
              It comes in white and can be tinted with water soluble dyes & pigments. If you have a color in mind, Acrytech will try to match paint chips from Sherwin Williams.

I tinted my own for the Amethysts:
              Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
              "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
              Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

• WernerM
                Seasoned Veteran
                • May 2012

Thanks for the info Lou. I forgot you used it for that build. Where did you get your dye from?
                HAGD,
                Marc

Even though I try to tell everyone upfront, understand that I am still a Newb. I wish the status of Seasoned Veteran/Senior Member, etc. was earned with time not posts...

TMWW thread

Maurbacs DCR Tower

Comment

• LouC
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by WernerM
                  Thanks for the info Lou. I forgot you used it for that build. Where did you get your dye from?
                  I bought a kit of WB colors from Homestead Finishing many moons ago. Many had dried out, but they worked fine for this. Also TransTint dyes I had on hand. There are also TransFast powdered pigments available. You can go down to the art store and find stuff too. Or maybe just go down to the paint store and let them try.

Tough to get really dark colors, but lighter pastels aren't too bad. Just do a small quantity.

Comment

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Aug 2008

thanks Lou. i might try somthing like an Ivory. would latex paint work, or would introduce a chemical problem?
                    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

• Psycoacoustics
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Apr 2012

For the people that are interested. I recieved my Duratex yesterday and have been playing today. I tried the roller they provided, a foam roller from Home Depot and an ordinary roller, along with a foam brush and ordinary brush.

The roller they provided? Way too much texture for me. The foam roller knocked it back a bit but still too much texture for me. The ordinary roller gave me the finish I liked best. So that 's the way I'm going tomorrow. Ordinary roller cover, (3/8 nap I believe) YMMV. In other words,,, test on scrap before you commit to get the finish you like. Mark

Comment

• LouC
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Oct 2005

thanks Lou. i might try somthing like an Ivory. would latex paint work, or would introduce a chemical problem?
                        Don't know, I stuck with WB dyes and pigments for staining. Maybe some acrylic "craft" paint would work.

Comment

• DarrenM
                          Midrange Member
                          • Dec 2012

Is the stuff available in quarts. I would like to give this stuff a try

Comment

• bkeane1259
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by DarrenM
                            Is the stuff available in quarts. I would like to give this stuff a try
                            No...just this trial sized package: http://store.acrytech.com/Speaker-Ca...Kit-Black.html
                            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club
                            [SIZE="1"]
                            Speedster | [URL="http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=229236"]Sub Attach

Comment

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Aug 2008

yes, quarts and gallons.
                              " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                              Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                              http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

• DarrenM
                                Midrange Member
                                • Dec 2012

yes, quarts and gallons.
                                Awesome. But the trial size is a good thing as well.

Comment

Working...