Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thumper Tom
    • Nov 2012

Maximus "Build Thread"

My goal for this build is some nice high end towers for my man cave. I am basing part of my design off of Elemental Designs EL8 series speakers. The goal is to have a full 7 speaker setup using all the same drivers.

The drivers that I have chosen to complete this task is the:
    Peerless 830869 8" Nomex Cone HDS Woofer
    Tang Band 75-1558SE 3" Textile Dome Midrange
    Morel CAT 408 1-1/8" Compact Soft Dome Tweeter

For the towers I will have two 8" Peerless, 3" TB Mid, and Morel tweeter.
    The drawing is a little different, but I plan on relocating the port to the rear of the box and the mid will be mounted on the backside of the baffle with a 45* chamfer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EL8.3T+Corner.png
Views:	1
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1184865

So far with this project I have received the drivers and done some frequency response testing and working with PCD to get the hang of things. Here is what I have come up with so far using SPL trace and ZMA files I got with DATS.

Name:	Sim+Crossover+pt1.png
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	1184866 Click image for larger version

Name:	Sim+Crossover+pt2.png
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	1184867

Name:	Sim+Crossover+pt3.png
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	1184868 Click image for larger version

Name:	Sim+Crossover+pt4.png
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	1184869

The response is nice and flat and I also have the baffle step included in the woofer response file. After playing around with different settings in PCD and using a couple other software, I really tried to keep the crossover simple. If anyone spots a bad thing let me know, I will not be able to test the true FR of the drivers until I build the boxes.

Give a little idea of the box, it will be about 75L with a 4" port tuned to 37 Hz.

If anyone has suggestions/comments they are more then welcome.
    If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
    What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
    It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers
  • morris
    Midrange Member
    • Nov 2007

Re: Maximus "Build Thread"

This has the potential to be a really good speaker when done right. Is this a purely simmed design? It does not look like you have put in the driver diameters and offsets. Did you also ran this into Response Modeler to account for baffle step/diffraction and was the minimum phase extracted for the drivers?

Comment

• Wolf
      Obsessed & Proud of It
      • Sep 2005

Ditto, Morris.
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Thumper Tom
        • Nov 2012

Here is an update image with all the diameters, listening distance, height, driver location, and minimum phase.

Name:	Sim+Crossover+Phase.png
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	1149230

None of the component values were changed and it still comes out pretty solid. The FR is simulated with using SPL trace, response modeler, and the ZMA file is the real driver. The FR file also has minimum phase, box response, and baffle step included.

Does my crossover look good or do I need to do some improvements?
        If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
        What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
        It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers

Comment

• peepaj
          Midrange Member
          • Nov 2010

Tom, your driver locations should be -.127 and -.0635 the way you have it the woofers and mid is above the tweeter. Also you don't have a z offset this will have an effect on your crossover.
          Jeff

Comment

• isaeagle4031
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Jun 2008

what's up with the series resistor on the woofers?
            https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

• greywarden
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Sep 2010

Already looks to me like you need a bigger coil on the woofer that bump there will likely turn into an audible wart. Also when you have the z offsets in, you should pan up to 45 degrees off axis and see if you need to lower or possibly raise your crossover points.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
              return to the source
              leviathan system thread
              deadhorse thread
              shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

• Thumper Tom
                • Nov 2012

Originally posted by peepaj
                Tom, your driver locations should be -.127 and -.0635 the way you have it the woofers and mid is above the tweeter. Also you don't have a z offset this will have an effect on your crossover.
                When figuring the driver location, is it based off of a corner(top left, right, bottom) or is it based off of the tweeter?

How would I figure the Z offset?

Originally posted by isaeagle4031
                what's up with the series resistor on the woofers?
                I used the resistor to raise the impedance so it would not drop as low but I could just remove it.
                It's slow death.

Comment

• PWR RYD
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Dec 2009

Driver offsets are referenced off the tweeter.
                  Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

• greywarden
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Sep 2010

A resistor in series with the woofer is asking for a fire. I'll refer you to the "hot crossover" thread lol

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                    return to the source
                    leviathan system thread
                    deadhorse thread
                    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

• Wolf
                      Obsessed & Proud of It
                      • Sep 2005

read...
                      You have to take the varying impedances, impedance phase, acoustic phase, power response, frequency responses, physical offsets, acoustic offsets, cabinet

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/en...me-2-The-setup!!

We also cannot see your individual driver phases, power response, or your electrical phase. These are important factors.
                      Later,
                      Wolf
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

• Limelight
                        Been Around Awhile
                        • Jan 2010

Thanks for postings these Wolf! I've been wondering how to properly model a tank in PCD. Sweet!
                        Originally posted by Wolf
                        read...
                        You have to take the varying impedances, impedance phase, acoustic phase, power response, frequency responses, physical offsets, acoustic offsets, cabinet

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/en...me-2-The-setup!!

We also cannot see your individual driver phases, power response, or your electrical phase. These are important factors.
                        Later,
                        Wolf

Comment

• Thumper Tom
                          • Nov 2012

I have a lot of work ahead of me. I adjusted the driver locations(x, y, z) and wow, went from good to complete cr@p on response and phase.

Thanks for the links Wolf, read through them, and now have a lot to digest.

I hope to build the enclosures sometime soon so I can get all my measurements from OmniMic, but for now the plan is to keep working with PCD.
                          It's slow death.

Comment

• Wolf
                            Obsessed & Proud of It
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Thumper Tom
                            I have a lot of work ahead of me. I adjusted the driver locations(x, y, z) and wow, went from good to complete cr@p on response and phase.
                            Thanks for the links Wolf, read through them, and now have a lot to digest.
                            I hope to build the enclosures sometime soon so I can get all my measurements from OmniMic, but for now the plan is to keep working with PCD.
                            Something told me if you had all the criteria entered that it would no longer be as pretty. That is one indication on someone doing a 'very-first-sim' for flat response- if it looks too pretty, it very well may be inaccurate.

Thanks for postings these Wolf! I've been wondering how to properly model a tank in PCD. Sweet!
                            They are linked in the Speaker bible in the sticky thread, so maybe you just did not see them. Glad it was of help.
                            Just remember you can fenagle PCD to do what you want by using 99999 for infinite connection, 99999 for every large cap if you can't remove it from the picture and just want a shorted cap position, etc. You can make it do things more than just a plain schematic. With careful usage, PCD is more versatile than you may think!

Later,
                            Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

• Thumper Tom
                              • Nov 2012

Wolf, would my listening height be set to 0 if my focal point is ear level, then adjust the angle to see what off axis response would be?

Originally posted by Wolf
                              Something told me if you had all the criteria entered that it would no longer be as pretty. That is one indication on someone doing a 'very-first-sim' for flat response- if it looks too pretty, it very well may be inaccurate.

They are linked in the Speaker bible in the sticky thread, so maybe you just did not see them. Glad it was of help.
                              Just remember you can fenagle PCD to do what you want by using 99999 for infinite connection, 99999 for every large cap if you can't remove it from the picture and just want a shorted cap position, etc. You can make it do things more than just a plain schematic. With careful usage, PCD is more versatile than you may think!

Later,
                              Wolf
                              It's slow death.

Comment

Working...