Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdocod
    • Mar 2012

Re: Dayton PM180 - New High-End Midrange Driver

Domes with [email protected]@1M or better sensitivity should keep up with one of these on a traditional baffle without much trouble. More sensitivity would be better just for the sake of having some tinker room to square up the response and mellow out the load, but isn't crucial.
    Pro/Fi Cinema Speaker project: "From the Ashes"

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
      Obsessed & Proud of It
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by mdocod
      Domes with [email protected]@1M or better sensitivity should keep up with one of these on a traditional baffle without much trouble. More sensitivity would be better just for the sake of having some tinker room to square up the response and mellow out the load, but isn't crucial.
      If you were using it as a woofer in a two-way, you'd be correct. However, Jeff's using it as a mid with a 97dB woofer, so he'll need a 94dB or better tweeter to keep up with the 94dB mid.

Big thumbs up to Dave's suggestion of the AST2560 in a guide. Those AC AMTs are very nice sounding tweeters.
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• dcibel
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by bathtub
        I just thought about making a efficient 2 way with the 6a as a midbass. Maybe with a small waveguide and the 18 Sound EAW 1 inch driver. I also am intrigued by the Dayton PM drivers and wondered if the 6a could be used similarly. I will bow out, just was thinking out loud.
        The Beta 6A won't produce much in the way of bass by itself, so plan on using a subwoofer as well if you go that route. Fs of the PM180 is half that of the beta6. Simulate them both in a cabinet and you'll see what I mean about the PM180 an PM220, for a high efficiency driver they just don't need the big cabinet that the rest do, which makes them very appealing to me. Normal looking 2-way towers for the home are not out of the question at all.
        I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

• Jeff B.
          Obsessed & Proud of It
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher ®
          If you were using it as a woofer in a two-way, you'd be correct. However, Jeff's using it as a mid with a 97dB woofer, so he'll need a 94dB or better tweeter to keep up with the 94dB mid.

Big thumbs up to Dave's suggestion of the AST2560 in a guide. Those AC AMTs are very nice sounding tweeters.
          Actually, having worked with the Delta Pro 12A before it is capable of 98 dB sensitivity in the upper bass. The mid, on a larger baffle, will sustain 95dB quite well and their will be some bandpass gain to factor in. So, a mating tweeter needs to be a least 96db to match well. 95-96dB was where I ended up with the SEOS12 / DNA360 when I mated it to the 12A in the Tempest, and that speaker has a little lift in the mid and uppder bass, but that sounded nicely balanced with the constant directivity of the waveguide. I found when working with the SEOS projects that you need to set up your on-axis response a little differently with waveguides than you do with direct radiators like dome tweeters. I doubt there are any domes that will keep up well, especially at a low crossover point. I rated the Tempest at 98dB sensitivity based on the woofer sensitivity (and it was crossing over at 1.3 kHz too). I expect this speaker to be reasonably close to that of the Tempest, but we will see.

If I build it, a two tweeter option may be in order: one with a SEOS waveguide and compression driver and another, more high end version, maybe using the AST2560 AC AMT. This is all a bit down the road. I am still in the thinking-it-through stages and wanted to measure these mids to see how good of a candidate they were.

Jeff
          Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Aug 2008

How about one of the Fountek?
            " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
            Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
            http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

• mdocod
              • Mar 2012

I must have misunderstood the context of what I was commenting on. Chatter about the applications of this in a 2-way getting mixed up in there and I was immediately side-tracked.

Comment

• Jeff B.
                Obsessed & Proud of It
                • Sep 2005

I must have misunderstood the context of what I was commenting on. Chatter about the applications of this in a 2-way getting mixed up in there and I was immediately side-tracked.
                If you're talking about using it as a midwoofer in a two-way, then yes, it is will have 6dB in sensitivity over most any other comparably sized driver. This could easily result in a true 90dB small monitor with some baffle step compensation already included. Of course, Hoffman's isn't called an iron law for nothing, and what you are giving up for this increased sensitivity is bass extension compared to those other woofers.

Comment

• mdocod
                  • Mar 2012

Precisely ;)

(already built something like it, and happily took the tradeoff. In my application I'm getting ~93dB@1W1M average sensitivity from a TM with an 8")

Comment

• Jeff B.
                    Obsessed & Proud of It
                    • Sep 2005

Precisely ;)

(already built something like it, and happily took the tradeoff. In my application I'm getting ~93dB@1W1M average sensitivity from a TM with an 8")
                    Sounds similar to my Alchemy design with the Beta 8A

Comment

• mdocod
                      • Mar 2012

Similar goal I'm sure, though I wanted to use only direct radiators and simulate my own crossover using a different method. A quick-n-dirty build log can be found linked to in my sig. Didn't seem to generate any interest so I stopped updating it with progress. I have been working on finishing the cabs as of late. A very slow, tedious process.

Comment

• lorenmjones
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Jan 2013

Jeff Bagby wrote:

"If I build it, a two tweeter option may be in order: one with a SEOS waveguide and compression driver and another, more high end version, maybe using the AST2560 AC AMT. This is all a bit down the road. I am still in the thinking-it-through stages and wanted to measure these mids to see how good of a candidate they were."

I know I'm a broken record but you could consider the Beyma TPL150H for your higher end version. http://profesional.beyma.com/pdf/TPL150HE.pdf and here are some distortion comparisons between the Beyma AMT and a compression driver http://www.beyma.de/fileadmin/seiten...TPL-150_en.pdf The price is a lot higher but it has the sensitivity, smooth response and low distortion this project requires. It offers the flexibility to cross lower than the AC. Your project will realize higher sensitivity than the one in my sig but that is because I aimed for low 20's extension in a full range design.

Fwiw another new GREAT looking 12" woofer with high sensitivity is the B&C 12FW76 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...umber=294-5951 . Great looking response, high excursion for its efficiency, shorting rings in the motor and the price isn't too bad at all. It won't go as deep as the eminence though.

Btw I'm well aware you need no suggestions from newbs like me re: driver selection...

I'll be very interested in this build.
                        Last edited by lorenmjones; 10-03-2013, 01:02 AM. Reason: added links
                        Loren Jones

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-sound-drivers

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...for-live-sound

Comment

• bigfishe
                          Midrange Member
                          • Nov 2011

How about the peavey buyout tweeter?

Comment

• bigfishe
                            Midrange Member
                            • Nov 2011

97 db and priced right?

Comment

• tyger23
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Aug 2012

Peavey Versarray Ribbon RD1.6 = Fountek NeoCd2.0M

Fountek ribbon tweeter @ 6.5" x 3.3" outer diameter. Features strong neodymium magnet; 5" reinforced sandwich diaphragm; built-in impedance converter; low distortion; very fast transients.
                              DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
                              The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
                              The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
                              The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
                              AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

• Jeff B.
                                Obsessed & Proud of It
                                • Sep 2005

I played around with some Fountek Neo Ribbons a while back and wasn't very impressed with how they measured. I don't think I'll go that direction, I think there are other options I would rather entertain.
                                Jeff

Comment

Working...