$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default anyone heard morel cam 558?

they sell this here: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=287-025. i was just wondering what the predominate use for this soft dome mid would be? and also how does it sound. i was thinking it could be used in a small 3 way with a 6.5 sub and a tweeter. my thinking is that i wouldn't need to enclose the mid so the speaker could be pretty tiny. any thoughts?

Default Re: anyone heard morel cam 558?

"Morel has produced an easy-to-install round version of their legendary MDM 55 dome midrange."

So looking up the MDM 55 works too, I was able to find quite a bit of posts and pages about that one. Zaph also tested it on his blog.

About 50 people will hear a pair of them in my Agendas project this Saturday afternoon
    Craig

"I used to drive WAY too fast to worry about cholesterol. Now I worry about my blood pressure."

Why I don't spray in first gear: http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/...t=100_2585.mp4

I heard the square frame version at the last AZ get together, in pretty much the same setup you describe. It stuck out as one of the drivers I really liked, I forget the designers name, and what tweeter he used with it, but I know it was a slim tower 3 way with that mid and an Arum Cantus 6 or 7 inch woofer (which was also a very impressive driver, great extension and very articulate). Overall the things that struck me about that mid, great clarity and an effortless presentation, mids just sounded "right", nothing jumped out at me, everything just sounded sweet, smooth and very detailed through it. Good off axis performance as well. One of the other drivers (from another design) that I really liked was a Fountek ribbon, I contemplated pairing one with that mid for the TM part of a 3 way, just need to decide on a woofer (or 2) to go with it, and do some PCDing to see if it's a good combo.

Did some searching on the forum, the speakers with that mid were the "TzuJans" by forum member "maynardg".

Bolland83,

I agree with your accessment of the Morel dome mid. I really like it alot.

I started out in the same spot as you are trying to decide what to pair it with for the bottom end. First attempt was a pair of 7" midbasses (RS180's actually). The problem is that the Morel needs to cross at or above about 800 Hz to really sound unstrained, keep power handling in check, and not distort. A pair of 6" or 7" drivers moves the bottom woofer's CTC spacing too far from the dome at the crossover point. Phase issues kept getting in the way. Then I tried a single 8" RS225. Phase was no longer a problem. Paul K. helped me with a RS225-8 ML-TL design and everything just fell into place from there. I can't wait to hear people's opinion of my design this weekend.
    Craig

"I used to drive WAY too fast to worry about cholesterol. Now I worry about my blood pressure."

Why I don't spray in first gear: http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/...t=100_2585.mp4

Thread Information