X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NavyMike
    Been Around Awhile
    • Aug 2009

New Sub Plate Amp Buyout

Has anyone seen these yet? Seems a little different and interesting. 100w @ 1 Ohm. $50

50+ discount, they must have a bunch of them. Seem to be the same amp with a different coloured front switch and "heat sink" layout.

• evilskillit
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Oct 2009

Re: New Sub Plate Amp Buyout

Looks interesting. On one hand being stable into 1 ohm is cool but on the other hand whats 100 watts @ 1 ohm into 4 ohm? Like 25 watts?

Comment

• johnnyrichards
      Obsessed & Proud of It
      • Oct 2005

Opens up some potential for some of the car audio subs floating around. Wish I had $50 to try one.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.
      https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...range-mid-bass
      https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...um-cone-woofer

Comment

• hdben
        Been Around Awhile
        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by johnnyrichards
        Opens up some potential for some of the car audio subs floating around. Wish I had $50 to try one.
        I might just buy one to try out for a gift. If I feel froggy enough or she says ok I might buy 2 to tryout before giving them away. They sound enticing.

Comment

• ksrigg
          • Oct 2005

Wonder what you would have with a clearance Bravox 10" DVC wired in series to get a one ohm load?

Would you have enough power to get any SPL at full blast using one per side in a hybrid tower system using am MTM on the top section of the "tower"?

I'm building Zaph audio's speaker using the Dayton DA175-8 aluminum woofers and a Seas TFFC tweeter.

I'm torn between a powered sub, or just having a three way design? If I do a standard three way design, how would you go about it?

I really want the run the Dayton/Seas (MTM) portion vented. I am just not a fan of sealed speakers. They just do not do it for me.

The options are:

Using a Technics Clearance plate amp per 10" Bravox at 1 ohm, with the MTM powered by a receiver.

Using a 200 watt Yung plate amps on each speaker running the drivers of the 10" Bravox in series to get a 4 ohm load.

Go with a freestanding 15" sub with a 300 watt Yung plate amp (using the Bravox Extreme Duty 15") driver in a 3 or 4 foot vented enclosure ( I haven't run the enclosure size yet), but PE says 3.86 cu. ft. with box tuned to 26hz.

So, what is a feller to do?

Thanks for any suggestions..

Comment

• lowpolyjoe
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Jan 2012

I saw these a few weeks ago and I think I asked in another thread if anyone was running them.

I was very close to picking up a couple of them, but then I saw the 1Ohm load requirement to get 100w... no thanks.

Also, somewhat annoying 2-box install... the plate and then the power switch. Don't forget you need a 2pin D-power cable.

Comment

• jon96789
              Been Around Awhile
              • Apr 2013

if the power rating is 100-watts into 1-ohm, the rating at 8-ohms would be 12 watts... pretty meager...

Comment

• neildavis
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Sep 2005

The schematic is here: http://elektrotanya.com/technics_sb-.../download.html. It uses a 19V supply and two amps with bridged outputs, so you should be able to get an honest 45W with a 4 ohm driver, and it should be able to deliver the rated output at 1 ohm. The amp looks reasonably well designed, but the date on the schematic is 1999, so the technology is a bit old...probably not a good amp to modify for use as full-range. It uses a switching regulator for the 19V supply, which is nice. It you add a TDA7492 Class-D board, it might make a nice 2.1 system for computer speakers.
                Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

• ksrigg
                  • Oct 2005

Question remains..............would this amp run at 1 ohm for long periods of time without overheating of failing? I may use it with the 10 inch Bravox buyout speaker drivers run series with this amp....and build the Zaph Audio Bargain MTM with the PE DA175-8 and a Seas TFFC in the enclosure as part of a hybrid / active/passive system. I can aways come back later and put ta Yung 200 watt amp in place of the Technics, but I hate to throw away $100.00, but don't want to spend the extra $76.00 if I don't have to either..

Do we think this Technics plate amp can run one ohm load for extended periods of time and produce useable SPL while doing so? Is it worth the gamble? I do hear that the Bravox is quit loud and although having only 88 db sensitivity, is tough to integrate because it is so overpowering...just from reviewers...

Ideas?

Comment

• johnnyrichards
                    Obsessed & Proud of It
                    • Oct 2005

Thanks for digging that up, Neil.
                    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.
                    https://www.jfcomponents.com/product...um-cone-woofer

Comment

• tomlang
                      • Feb 2011

I bought one of these from ebay (cheaper than PE btw) and have since returned it.

I tested it with both an 8 ohm load and a 4 ohm load. I got 17 volts peak to peak sine wave across both loads.

That is only 9 watts rms across 4 ohms and 4.5 watts rms across 8 ohms.

I did not test it with a 1 ohm load but have no reason to believe the voltage drop across a 1 ohm load would be any higher. If it was the same voltage, then it would only be 36 watts rms across 1 ohm.

Comment

• lowpolyjoe
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by tomlang
                        I bought one of these from ebay (cheaper than PE btw) and have since returned it.

I tested it with both an 8 ohm load and a 4 ohm load. I got 17 volts peak to peak sine wave across both loads.

That is only 9 watts rms across 4 ohms and 4.5 watts rms across 8 ohms.

I did not test it with a 1 ohm load but have no reason to believe the voltage drop across a 1 ohm load would be any higher. If it was the same voltage, then it would only be 36 watts rms across 1 ohm.
                        Thanks for the update. I wonder what the target was for this amp design?

Comment

• Beau
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Jun 2013

Originally posted by lowpolyjoe
                          Thanks for the update. I wonder what the target was for this amp design?
                          The trash?
                          Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

• tomlang
                            • Feb 2011

Forgot to mention. I should have weighed it but it did not weigh much more than 2 lbs or so, very light, too light it turns out. I would have opened it up and taken a peak inside but did not since I was going to return it.

Comment

Working...