Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SITTINGUPHIGH
    • Feb 2013

Comparing car D amps to home D amps.

I'm wondering what the difference between car D amps and home D amps.
    Sound distortion THD. Sound quality differences.

Examples

Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Mini Amplifier 50 WPC

Topping TP60 Tripath TA2022 50WPC (80WPC 4 Ohm) Mini Amplifier

to

Kicker DX1252 (11D125.2) 2 x 30 RMS 2-Channel DX Series Amplifier

Kicker DX300.2 DX Series 2x150W Bridgeable Stereo Car Audio Amplifier
  • evilskillit
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Oct 2009

Re: Comparing car D amps to home D amps.

I would be inclined to say that the home audio amps might have a better noise floor and lower distortion but I have no idea if that's really true or not. You'll need a beefy 12 volt power supply for the car amps, but some of the home amps don't come with their power supply either.

I do remember a thread where some guys were using car audio amps around the house and reporting some really good results.

Comment

• SITTINGUPHIGH
      • Feb 2013

The car amplifiers have no specs of THD at any watts. They just show THD. That's it.
      On home amplifier at a higher the volts the better the THD at a higher watts.

Comment

• Brian Steele
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by SITTINGUPHIGH
        I'm wondering what the difference between car D amps and home D amps. Sound distortion THD. Sound quality differences.
        With the car audio amps, they're less included to exaggerate output claims by quoting at 10% THD, etc.

You're also likely to come across class D amps in car audio that are considerably more powerful (at low THD) than what's available for home audio. Like my Alpine PDX-M12 amplifier, that can deliver 1.2kW of power into 4 ohms, or my PDX-F4, capable of delivering 150Wx4 into 4 ohms.

OTOH it's likely to be more expensive. Gotta upconvert that 12V power to something high enough to deliver that power to the drivers.
        Brian Steele
        www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Working...