$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default RssHO or Ultramax

I finally have a little money set aside to get a second sub and I was thinking 12" sealed .I already have a RSS390HF in a 7 cu.ft. ported cabinet that I love but want a second one to fill out the room better . My wife doesn't want another big box in the livingroom so I was thinking 2 cu.ft. sealed . I have narrowed it down the RSS HO or the ultramax 12" .I have never heard either one . I know the quality of the RSS series , and the ultramax looks like a real beast . I listen to half and half music and movies . Any opinions would be appreciated .

Default Re: RssHO or Ultramax

"Fill out the room better". Are you having issues with peaks and dips throughout the room?
    Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent

Main music system: Active 3-way, MiniDSP 2x8, Vifa XT25BG60's, Dayton RS150-8's, Dayton RSS265HF-4's, class D amplification

I have some dips but where I sit is good . It's good size room 24" x16" not huge . You can never have enough bass lol .I am going to rearrange the room differently and I want one sub up front and one near the back . I had a 12" sub in the back for a while , just the SD315 DVC. It's not a heavy duty sub but it did help a lot . When I play the THX demo on a dvd I want to feel the floor move without a tactile transducer .

Which amplifier are you using? If it's a beast with power to spare, you may consider using two RSS390HO's in that 7 cubic foot box. Of course, that may not be possible due to the shape, finish, bracing, etc, but it's an idea assuming you want more spl. That may keep the wife happy if you're not adding another box.
    Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent

Main music system: Active 3-way, MiniDSP 2x8, Vifa XT25BG60's, Dayton RS150-8's, Dayton RSS265HF-4's, class D amplification

I'm using the Dayton SPA 500 plate amp .I would rather have two subs spread apart and not in the same place . Just trying to find out if anybody has heard both 12" sub I mentioned in my first post . Are their any advantages in one over the other . I'm sure they both would do a good job .

I have built an Ultimax in a 2 cu ft sealed cab, using just a dayton spa250, and it was great. Nice and punchy, plenty loud. I can't speak for the HO, but I can certainly say the Ultimax won't disappoint.

It didn't go incredibly low, f3 in about the mid 20s, if you go just a little bigger, maybe 3.5cu ft ported, you can hit into the teens pretty easily, which is gonna shake your floor for sure. And you likely won't run into excursion problems running less than 500 watts.

I have a pair of RSS315HO-44's in a 3 cubic foot, sealed enclosure. They're beyond nice. But honestly, I can't imagine how a single RSS315HO in a small sealed enclosure could compliment or even try to keep up with an RSS390HF in a huge ported enclosure. If that 15 is maxed out during a low passage in a movie, the 12" RSS sub will sound like a jack hammer from it's voice coil former kissing the back plate.

If having an additional 12" sub in a sealed enclosure has improved your experience, I have to guess that your RSS390HF may not be in the best location in your room.

But it may be a band aid that works and the only visually appealing option that is acceptable for your wife, so I can understand that.

If that's the case, the ultimax will have a better chance of trying to keep up. Regardless, I don't recommend adding a sealed 12 to try and compliment a beast like a 390HF in a large ported box.

WLB, where is the RSS390 located in the room? Near the center, against a wall, in a corner? Do you have a pic by any chance?

It's in a corner . I don't have a lot of options for room placement with a large entertainment cabinet and 2 couches . That's why my wife doesn't want another huge box in the room . I have another 7 cu.ft. box in the garage and I would love to get another 390 HF in here , that would really move some air . I am leaning more toward the ultramax .

Thread Information