$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help

Default High power Class T/D amplifier?

I'm looking for a class T/D amplifier with 50watt X 2 @ 8 ohms <0.1% TBD. I have a DTA-100a and it sounds nice; but I looking for something with more the 30watts per channel @ 8 ohms at low distortion but still in a small efficient form factor vs Class AB amps. The closest thing that might work is 2X AMP11-HV boards from 41hz.com with around 40V DC input. I looked at the Sure boards and the TK2050 chip set board rated at 100watt X 2 @ 8 ohms but audiophile sound quality of only 30watt X 2 into an 8 ohm load. Dayton audio just started selling new amplifier similar to the DTA-100a, DTA-120 rated a 60watt X 2 @ 4 ohms, that's a total output of 120watts but the switch mode power pack output is 24V X 5amps = 120watts; So I will be looking for that Patent application on how they created an amplifier with 100% efficiency.

Thanks in advance,
    Shawn

Blog Entries

Default Re: High power Class T/D amplifier?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn_K View Post
    I'm looking for a class T/D amplifier with 50watt X 2 @ 8 ohms <0.1% TBD. I have a DTA-100a and it sounds nice; but I looking for something with more the 30watts per channel @ 8 ohms at low distortion but still in a small efficient form factor vs Class AB amps. The closest thing that might work is 2X AMP11-HV boards from 41hz.com with around 40V DC input. I looked at the Sure boards and the TK2050 chip set board rated at 100watt X 2 @ 8 ohms but audiophile sound quality of only 30watt X 2 into an 8 ohm load. Dayton audio just started selling new amplifier similar to the DTA-100a, DTA-120 rated a 60watt X 2 @ 4 ohms, that's a total output of 120watts but the switch mode power pack output is 24V X 5amps = 120watts; So I will be looking for that Patent application on how they created an amplifier with 100% efficiency.

Thanks in advance,
    Shawn
    To really notice a difference over a 30W amp, you really need to go to 100W, preferably more.

Class D Audio has some nice kits.

Class D amps are up to 95% efficient Shawn. And only if you're driving sine waves will you ever draw 120W. Under music conditions, you'd hardly ever draw more than 50W.

Pete's exactly right. To be just twice as loud as your DTA-100a with the same speakers in the same space, you need 100 watts per channel at a minimum. You want it a tiny bit louder? You need 250-300 watts. To be twice as loud as the 100 watt amp, you need a 1000 watt$ and speakers that will handle the power. The REALLY funny part is, less than 1% of the time will you need all that power anyway.

When I had trouble with my DTA-100 (smoked it driving 4 ohm load), several people highly recommended
    the Dayton APA-150 http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...ifier--300-812

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "We're down to our last 5 pairs of speakers!" Ms. Ken Lay
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

NS6-255/Vifa BC25SC06 TM design - AURBACS
    NS6-255/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM design - MAURBACS
    High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM

I think maybe I didn't explain why I desire an amplifier with just an incremental increase in power output very well. I have a prototype 3 Way speaker I have designed that is bi-amplified (Active crossover - I built the crossover on a breadboard). I have been doing alot of critical listening to this speaker (mono - only made one prototype at this point). So the story goes that all amplifiers should be essentially a wire with gain (in theory). But I have connected multiply different amplifiers to both the high range drivers (Tweeter/Midrange-Passive crossover between the two) and the Woofer (no passive components between the amplifier-Woofer; wired direct) and these amplifiers make the speaker sound different; The sound from the TK2050 2 X 100watt board module powered with the same power supply that comes with the DTA-100a sounds the most detailed - But seems to lose some of the dynamics compared to Class A/B amplifiers I have tested when the volume level is increased. It's not that I want very loud sound, I want very detailed sound with low distortion. I usually sit about 8 ft away from the speaker and have measured the frequency response with the omni-Mic and its very flat at this location. I usually listen to my music at an average 80-82dB at this location. I tried to design the speaker to have a more uniform power response (waveguides - baffle shape). One of my theories for the loss of dynamics at higher volume levels is either the power supply voltage is too low or the really small output filter inductors on the board are suppressing the impulses or maybe the board could/should be upgraded to use all poly film capacitors (like 250V rated ones - low disipation) in the signal path. The other thing I have observed is that sound is more intergrated between high range drivers and the woofer when powered by the same amplifier (I use one of each channel from the same amp for both sections). It's not that I need tons of power; the efficiency of the high range section is approximatly 85dB/1m and the woofer is 86.5dB/1m.

Shawn

Why not check out one of these amps: http://classdaudio.com/amplifier-kits.html

Or maybe a tube amp. A tube amp should have a nice warm/dynamic sound to it. Maybe that would work?

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kevin007 View Post
    Why not check out one of these amps: http://classdaudio.com/amplifier-kits.html

Or maybe a tube amp. A tube amp should have a nice warm/dynamic sound to it. Maybe that would work?

Kevin
    Or do like I did.... build a 500 WPC ClassDaudio power amp and feed it with a tube preamp
    Craig

"I used to drive WAY too fast to worry about cholesterol. Now I worry about my blood pressure."

Why I don't spray in first gear: http://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/...t=100_2585.mp4

Class D Audio has some kits for 4 channels in one chassis, one power supply. I built a couple of the stereo amps, trouble free units. You are eventually going to build another speaker?

I still don't think more power is what you're really after. The difference you hear between amps may just be differences in their sonic signatures. But I suspect the loss of dynamic range is due to the power supply not being adequate to supply those large spikes/bursts of power. A beefier PS may resolve your issue without the need for a new amp. Otherwise those amps from class d audio look nice. I've used car audio amps with great success and some very powerful and clean class D amps can be had for decent prices in the car audio realm. But you'll need a good PS also for those.
    Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
    Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
    Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (thread coming)
    Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C (thread coming)
    Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Thread Information