$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Default DTA-100a question

    How is this little amp at handling not so efficient speakers, lets say 87db ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    103

    Default Re: DTA-100a question

    You'll get maybe, about 15 watts per channel out of it. so it should do just fine for normal listening levels.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    19,314
    Blog Entries
    29

    Default Re: DTA-100a question

    Quote Originally Posted by pknaz View Post
    You'll get maybe, about 15 watts per channel out of it. so it should do just fine for normal listening levels.
    It is a 200W supply. I wager some more than that.
    Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith
    "We don't just make a crossover, we make a statement!" - Lawrence Fishburne for Cadillac

    *InDIYana 2014 event*

    Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

    My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Appleton
    Posts
    7,515

    Default Re: DTA-100a question

    If it can generate 10w into your driver load (which is what?), then you'd be at 97dB. If 50w, then 104.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    103

    Default Re: DTA-100a question

    Assuming this is the amp you're talking about?
    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...0-wpc--300-383

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    19,314
    Blog Entries
    29

    Default Re: DTA-100a question

    Quote Originally Posted by pknaz View Post
    Assuming this is the amp you're talking about?
    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...0-wpc--300-383
    Unless he mistyped, yes.
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith
    "We don't just make a crossover, we make a statement!" - Lawrence Fishburne for Cadillac

    *InDIYana 2014 event*

    Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

    My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Texas, USA
    Posts
    3,481

    Default Re: DTA-100a question

    it's an honest 30w/chan @ ,1% thd. It can drive OS MTM loud enough to be heard over a router w/ muffs on. Guessing is no substitute for experience.



    Quote Originally Posted by pknaz View Post
    Assuming this is the amp you're talking about?
    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...0-wpc--300-383

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    103

    Default Re: DTA-100a question

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Unless he mistyped, yes.
    Wolf
    For some reason I had it in my mind that I saw a thread a while back saying that these were only capable of putting out 10-15 watts per channel with the supplied 2amp PSU? I could be imagining things, it wouldn't be the first time!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago - the guts
    Posts
    4,500

    Default Re: DTA-100a question

    Quote Originally Posted by pknaz View Post
    For some reason I had it in my mind that I saw a thread a while back saying that these were only capable of putting out 10-15 watts per channel with the supplied 2amp PSU? I could be imagining things, it wouldn't be the first time!
    You're thinking about the TA2020s, like the little Lepai. The DTA100 is not in that camp.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    103

    Default Re: DTA-100a question

    Quote Originally Posted by bkeane1259 View Post
    You're thinking about the TA2020s, like the little Lepai. The DTA100 is not in that camp.
    See, I told you I was imagining things! - thanks for clearing that up.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    3,292

    Default Re: DTA-100a question

    I have the DTA-100 and it loads a clean 110 volts each channel driven with a 1000 Hz sine wave into my big 8 ohm non-inductive resistor before the resistor starts heating up (about 30 seconds). That's about 37 watts per channel, and I think the power supply holds it back a little. When I was in high skool and lusted for an EICO 30 WPC amp kit that was $150 smackers ( or half as much as I paid for my used '58 Imperial), The DTA would have sent me to the moon. Oh yeah, the technology that's in it didn't exist we we went to the Moon...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago - the guts
    Posts
    4,500

    Default Re: DTA-100a question

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
    I have the DTA-100 and it loads a clean 110 volts each channel driven with a 1000 Hz sine wave into my big 8 ohm non-inductive resistor before the resistor starts heating up (about 30 seconds). That's about 37 watts per channel....
    Um, you sure about that?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    chillicothe, ohio
    Posts
    1,557

    Default Re: DTA-100a question

    Quote Originally Posted by bkeane1259 View Post
    Um, you sure about that?
    I am sure that I am not sure about it. listened to and been around that amp a lot. I think I will have to go with pknaz, if you can get 18 to 20 watts I think you would have it maxed. I do not think I would want to do that for long.
    craig kinnison

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago - the guts
    Posts
    4,500

    Default Re: DTA-100a question

    I was questioning the VOLTS.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    19,314
    Blog Entries
    29

    Default Re: DTA-100a question

    Quote Originally Posted by bkeane1259 View Post
    I was questioning the VOLTS.
    Yeah- me too. I don't think a 24V/5A PSU will send 110VAC through the outs of an amplifier.
    Not happening,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith
    "We don't just make a crossover, we make a statement!" - Lawrence Fishburne for Cadillac

    *InDIYana 2014 event*

    Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

    My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    3,292

    Default Re: DTA-100a question

    Sorry my albuterol pumped brain couldn't do math last night. Never try and look at notes on the laptop and type on the desktop. I don't have 'em "synced" yet. The XP/Win7 file transfer conversion isn't stupid easy, and I'm plenty stupid.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chicago - the guts
    Posts
    4,500

    Default Re: DTA-100a question

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
    Sorry my albuterol pumped brain couldn't do math last night. Never try and look at notes on the laptop and type on the desktop. I don't have 'em "synced" yet. The XP/Win7 file transfer conversion isn't stupid easy, and I'm plenty stupid.
    It's simple math, bro. Kinda silly to even suggest that high voltage is involved with little t-amps. Next thing you know we're going to be seeing youtube videos of people blowing up houses with Lepai TA2020s or "death by TA2020" or something equally as insane. Perhaps the "knockout game ft. the TA2020"...... Maybe retail sales of Tripath amps will go straigth into the toilet as shell shocked consumers avoid the "lil amp that kills."

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    3,292

    Default Re: DTA-100a question

    The DAT-100a isn't THAT little. It is rated at 30 watts RMS per channel @ less than .01% THD @ 8 ohms. I thought I understood from a previous thread the Tripath TK2050 chipset in this amp could handle a Vmax of 32 VDC across the rails, but the OEM capacitors were rated at 30 WVDC, so the 24 VDC stock power supply was about as high as you should go. I could remember it wrong. 24 volt in @ 2.5A=60 watts input (per channel). Assume 50% efficiency=30 watts output @8 ohm (2.83 Volts)=> 84.9 Volts RMS per channel in theory anyway. I quit at about 60 volts per channel, so 21-ish watts per channel, 120 volts total, if I can read my "notes".

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    19,314
    Blog Entries
    29

    Default Re: DTA-100a question

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
    The DAT-100a isn't THAT little. It is rated at 30 watts RMS per channel @ less than .01% THD @ 8 ohms. I thought I understood from a previous thread the Tripath TK2050 chipset in this amp could handle a Vmax of 32 VDC across the rails, but the OEM capacitors were rated at 30 WVDC, so the 24 VDC stock power supply was about as high as you should go. I could remember it wrong. 24 volt in @ 2.5A=60 watts input (per channel). Assume 50% efficiency=30 watts output @8 ohm (2.83 Volts)=> 84.9 Volts RMS per channel in theory anyway. I quit at about 60 volts per channel, so 21-ish watts per channel, 120 volts total, if I can read my "notes".
    E = I*R
    P = E*I
    Therefore....
    P = I^2*R or E^2/R

    24*5 = 120W
    60*8 = E^0.5, so Voltage is 21VAC for each channel peak.

    Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith
    "We don't just make a crossover, we make a statement!" - Lawrence Fishburne for Cadillac

    *InDIYana 2014 event*

    Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

    My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




Your #1 Source for Audio, Video & Speaker Building Components


Clearance Center
Deal of the Day
New Products




View Our latest
Sales Flyer

Prices Effective
Through 8/31/14


Order our FREE 336 Page Full Color Catalog


Speaker Component Categories

Home Audio Speakers

Professional Audio & Guitar Speakers

Car Audio Speakers

Speaker Buyouts

Measurement & Design Tools

Subwoofer Plate Amplifiers

Full-Range Plate Amplifiers

Crossover Components

Cabinet Hardware & Speaker
Grill Cloth

Speaker Cabinets

Subwoofer System Kits

Speaker Kits

Speaker Repair Parts

Speaker Wire