$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default tweak my sensations?

Hi my new overnight sensations are harsh to me. They sort of hurt my ears with high trumpet, clarinet, and high vocals. I built them from 3/4" oak ply to specs, have the crossover correct, used a 1-3/8 ID x 6" port tube, but only had a fist full of poly foam to lay in the box. Is there any thing i can do to lessen the ear strain, does stuffing help this at all? I tried putting a wad of foam in the port and it just seamed to make it worse and reduced the bass. They would be perfect to my listening taste except for the the "shrill". I don't really know how to describe it? I also know I have the tweeter wired correctly (pos wire to neg post) if that helps? I gave my B3N full range to my son for his birthday>he loves them in his little bedroom, after an hour listening to them he plugged back in his old computer 2.1 system and could not believe the difference! Just not quite enough bass, but the OS have it aplenty, just need to somehow fix the harsh?

Default Re: tweak my sensations?

You could always add an ohm or two (resistor) at the beginning of the tweeter filter (or "EQ" your system)?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Roemer View Post
    You could always add an ohm or two (resistor) at the beginning of the tweeter filter (or "EQ" your system)?
    I have tried to adjust out the sound but nothing works, ie, i used every eq setting on my ipod, some help make it worse while others nock out mostly all treble and it is still shouty.
    It is very similar to the sound I was getting with the hivi b3n before I got the filter correct. That simple filter was like magic to me the way it worked. So that sound is from the tweeter? thanks Chris you are so helful!!

Uh . . . can we SEE the XO? Are you sure you've got the "notch" filter set up correctly (tiny cap in || with the series coil)?
    W/out the notch, that B4N has some pretty bad stuff going on (maybe around 10k?, maybe some below there too?).

Can you hook them up to something more like a PC (or something where you can use more selective EQ, like iTunes), just to help troubleshoot the offending FR?

umm? It is possible that I did the x/o wrong (been there done that) But I am pretty sure it is right-I will check some more. The crossover is caulked onto the inside bottom of the cabinets, so It would be a dissassemble proccess to get pics (and I haven't been able to post them in the past)yes I have the .22uf in parallel to the 1.1mH air coil.

I can hook them up to my putr but don't know how to use it to determine frequency that is too bright?

iTunes (on MY PC, anyhow) has about a 10 band equalizer (which isn't too bad) you could mess with. I'd set all sliders to +/- zero dB, and turn it up to a moderately good level, then knock each slider down in turn until you find the one that notches out the offending sound. Report back.

thanks for the dirrections Chris. I tried an unscientific experiment...I folded up a shop rag and taped it over the woofer. Although it muffled most frequencies it did help block out the offending shouty sound my ears cn't accept. So is it probably the woofer then? I will hook up to putr and report back.

ok, that was fun! thanks Chris! With everything at 0dB i found the best reduction in the 2K range with -6dB to -12db doing the majority of removal. On some songs I felt that a -3dB and sometimes a -6dB in the 4K range was needed to remove the rest of the shout. I tried a variety of genre's to be sure. Some were good without any adjustment. But most did want the 2K down -6 or 9dB. So....now what do you think?

I am really sensitive to "shoutiness" and my OSes are definitely not that. They are really laid back in my opinion. Let's see how you wired the crossovers.

That HiVi midbass driver has a large peak around 3k (according to the data sheet it's around 14db!). I'd double check your crossover.

thanks, I am on it

How many hours do you have on them? A few designs I've built which I think included the OS's sounded harsh to me until they had some significant break in time on them. Also, I'd grab a bag of polyfil from your local Walmart, cloth or craft store and try adding more stuffing. I found when I built the OS's that the amount of stuffing was fairly critical. I added and removed stuffing until I found the balance I liked.

i have played them approx 4-5 hours. I just tore one of them apart to take a look and pics. Now will try to download them here?

ok, i click on image icon, select photo, select upload and the screen clears but where is my photo? ANY IDEAS?

Do what to your what? This is an AUDIO forum.
    "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
    ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Exclamation Re: tweak my sensations?

ok got them to download but they all have orange exlaimation point error 500 io error with bubbles or some darn thing??????

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Ears View Post
    Do what to your what? This is an AUDIO forum.
    Ha Tin man, thanks for the levity- I need ed it! Frustrating stuff, trying to download or attach a few photos of my OS crossover for inspection, and can't!!!!

Crybaby... I quit trying to be smart a long time ago.
    "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
    ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

My simple Luddite method for pics that are in my computer is to "go advanced', click manage attachments and add files.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first-world-problems-7.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	44570  

Easiest way for me is to upload the pictures to my photobucket account then copy and paste the image links here.

Thread Information