$vboptions[bbtitle]   $vboptions[bbtitle]  
  Terms and Conditions     Project Showcase
  Resource Index   Speaker Terms Glossary
  Security/Privacy   Speaker Replacement Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ALERT: good spdif input 24/96 DAC for only $40 (with measurements)

I have been exploring the realm of the "low cost DAC". This is the second DAC that I am reporting on.

Now here we have a real contender - the "Little Bear Decoder v1.08". This is a 48kHz/96kHz spdif input DAC using a DIR9001 spdif receiver IC and the CS4398 D-to-A chip. The output is run through a 5532 op amp to provide low pass filtering and to buffer the output. The quality of the board seems to be high and good quality parts are used in critical areas.

I performed some measurements on this DAC using an M-Audio ProFire610, ARTA/STEPS and REW. For these measurements, the signal path begins in software, goes to the 610 spdif output port, into the DAC, and then back into an analog input port of the 610. Software can then evaluate the analog input (for distortion, frequency response, etc.). This signal path also permits me to do A/B testing (after level matching) of the 610's internal DAC and the external DAC using the 610's routing software.

I have attached the measurements I obtained. At both 48kHz and 96kHz the distortion levels are low and more or less input-level independent. I also took a spectrum of the DAC output for a 1kHz test tone, showing distortion products and the noise floor, both of which are very low. Keep in mind that the distortion spec for the analog input of the M-Audio Profile 610 that I am using to measure this DAC is 0.002% distortion (at 1kHz -1dBFS) and -108dB S/N ratio (A-weighted). Essentially the "Little Bear" DAC is approaching the measurement threshold of my equipment.

This is an exceptional product, especially given that I purchased it for $40 including shipping to the USA. Power is supplied via a single 12-0-12 VAC input, and a transformer is included by the seller (115VAC or 230VAC primaries are available). Once you connect the transformer the unit is ready to run.

If you are looking for an SPDIF input (only) DAC then this is really one that performs far above its price level.

Ebay link:
    HiFi Digital to Analog Coaxial Decoder DIR9001 CS4398 96kHz 24bit DAC Converter | eBay (or search under "Decoder DIR9001 CS4398")
    Aliexpress link:
    Little Bear DAC on Aliexpress.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Little Bear DAC v1.08 distortion at 0dB 48kHz SR.png 
Views:	199 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	46788

Name:	Little Bear DAC v1.08 distortion at 0dB 96kHz SR.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	46789

Name:	Little Bear DAC v1.08 distortion at -20dB 48kHz SR.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	46790

Name:	Little Bear DAC v1.08 distortion at -20dB 96kHz SR.png 
Views:	159 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	46791
    Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Default Re: ALERT: good spdif input 24/96 DAC for only $40 (with measurements)

Frequency response plots and spectrum are shown below.

Name:	Little Bear DAC v1.08 frequency response 48kHz SR.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	46793

Name:	Little Bear DAC v1.08 frequency response 96kHz SR.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	46794

Name:	1khz distortion spectrum.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	46795

Great deal at that price. Thanks for letting us know!

Nice. Wish it had USB input so I could use it from a computer. I see the seller has a USB to coax converter but that no longer makes it so affordable.
    Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
    Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
    Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
    Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
    Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Good to see ya kicking around, Charlie...

Second one, did I miss something? Wondering if you've considered the "Objective DAC", by that NWavguy... Or some of the cheaper ESS DAC's out there... A set of affordable DACs with the digital only miniDSP processor, would make a nice package...

Nice find, I wonder if they'll make a balanced version.

I might grab one and run it through an audio precision to compare our results.

The harmonic distortion profile is buried. Nice.

A diamond in the rough. Thanks Charlie for showing that good stuff doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

The eBay seller added your post from DiyAudio to their listing.
    रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत

return to the source

Quote Originally Posted by greywarden View Post
    The eBay seller added your post from DiyAudio to their listing.
    Ah, that's no problem. I told him that I wrote about it. I think it is a really great deal, provided you only need coax spdif input (which I do). I told him that there would probably be others who would want to buy one so he has made some more available.

The ironic thing is that you have to be a member and logged in at DIYaudio to see the images.

At $35-40 it they would be a good combo to use with the MiniDSP digital 2x8 box, as it's nearly impossible to find affordable amplifiers with digital inputs and high quality DACs on-board.
    रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत

return to the source

Quote Originally Posted by greywarden View Post
    At $35-40 it they would be a good combo to use with the MiniDSP digital 2x8 box, as it's nearly impossible to find affordable amplifiers with digital inputs and high quality DACs on-board.
    I think you mean this (the nanoDIGI):
    http://www.minidsp.com/products/mini...nanodigi-2x8-k

Quote Originally Posted by charlielaub View Post
    I think you mean this (the nanoDIGI):
    http://www.minidsp.com/products/mini...nanodigi-2x8-k
    Yeah that one.
    रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत

return to the source

Thanks for the tip! I have about 10 different DACs on my "watch list" on eBay. Just haven't been able to pick one and pull the trigger yet. This is a helpful vote of confidence.
    SEC DIY 2014 Speaker Show is on! *November 8th*
    Wanna win a set of Newform Research R30 ribbons?!?!
    SEC DIY 2014 Thread

SEC DIY 2012 Speaker Show
    SEC DIY 2011 Speaker Show

Quote Originally Posted by scottq View Post
    Thanks for the tip! I have about 10 different DACs on my "watch list" on eBay. Just haven't been able to pick one and pull the trigger yet. This is a helpful vote of confidence.
    Apart from having pretty good performance and sound quality, it's super easy to use because the "power supply" (the transformer) is included! Just connect the wires, plug in the transformer, and start listening. Some of the DAC kits on Ebay need multiple AC or DC inputs, and you have to add the power supply cost on top of the board cost.

The only shortcoming, if you can call it that, is that the maximum sample rate for the "Little Bear DAC" is 96kHz so if you want to use a higher rate you are out of luck. Personally I can't tell any difference (audible) once you get above 48kHz, making ultra-high sample rates a non-starter for me.

Newb question. Does an optical to spdif converter really work or is not even worth it? Trying to find something to go with apple tv or apple airport express.

Quote Originally Posted by fwiler View Post
    Newb question. Does an optical to spdif converter really work or is not even worth it? Trying to find something to go with apple tv or apple airport express.
    Do they work - yes, definitely. At these sample rates I think that even an inexpensive one (as long as it is powered) will work properly. Both electrical and optical spdif signals are the same.

Did the $40 DAC get compared to the Benchmark at InDIYana?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jinjuku View Post
    Did the $40 DAC get compared to the Benchmark at InDIYana?
    Nope.
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith
    "We don't just make a crossover, we make a statement!" - Lawrence Fishburne for Cadillac

*InDIYana 2014 event*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Thread Information