• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike b
    Been Around Awhile
    • Nov 2014

Re: Finalist TL's "Done my way" Tons of pics

Nice work
    I Started Out with Nothing and I Still Got Most of It Left ...

Comment

• Melby Audio
      • Jan 2014

Those look outstanding!
      Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

Comment

• lowpolyjoe
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Jan 2012

Great thread!

Built pic sequence is awesome. Veneer looks fantastic. Nice looking crosscut sled

Good luck with the XO tweaks

Comment

• Mike220
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by bobbarkto
          Great job, Mike!
          They look fantastic.
          Love the hickory, too. Nice choice for this project.

I can see what you were talking about, in the measurements. Looks completely fixable.

Enjoy!
          I completely forgot to thank you Tom for all the finishing advice you have given me on my last 2 builds and quick fixes for a few imperfections. I will update the first post.
          My Build Thread's
          Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

• dlneubec
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Mike220
            I completely forgot to thank you Tom for all the finishing advice you have given me on my last 2 builds and quick fixes for a few imperfections. I will update the first post.
            Beautiful work, Mike! I too love the hickory and the contrasting tube. You made some great choices here and have every reason to be proud of them.

I suggest you look at measurements out to at least 60º off axis and not just on center. This may help you correlate what the speaker is doing with what you are hearing.
            Dan N.

Comment

• Mike220
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by dlneubec
              Beautiful work, Mike! I too love the hickory and the contrasting tube. You made some great choices here and have every reason to be proud of them.

I suggest you look at measurements out to at least 60º off axis and not just on center. This may help you correlate what the speaker is doing with what you are hearing.

Thanks for the suggestions Dan. I will try these measurements. Do you just place painters tape for the angles on the floor and move the mic but maintaining the same distance from tweeter? Is 15 degree increments okay for this task.

Should i place the mic at my listening position with both speakers playing as well? Ive never tried it or i can keep the same distance (24" away) but place it in the center.
              My Build Thread's
              Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

• Paul K.
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Sep 2005

Absolutely beautiful, Mike. Looking forward to seeing and listening to them. Glad I could help out, too.
                Paul

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
                  Obsessed & Proud of It
                  • Oct 2005

Excellent execution! Great looking stuff Mike!
                  R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                  Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                  "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• dlneubec
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Mike220
                    Thanks for the suggestions Dan. I will try these measurements. Do you just place painters tape for the angles on the floor and move the mic but maintaining the same distance from tweeter? Is 15 degree increments okay for this task.

Should i place the mic at my listening position with both speakers playing as well? Ive never tried it or i can keep the same distance (24" away) but place it in the center.
                    Tape on the floor is fine, or you can leave the mic in position and turn the speaker. Yes, keep the same distance from the tweeter. No need to go out beyond 24" for this. You want to keep the room out of it, so 24" should allow you to do that. For best results, you can even sit the speaker up on something to get it a couple feet further from the floor and that can help delay the floor reflection, allowing a little longer gate time. If you set it up with the speaker 4-5' from both side walls, angle it diagonally into the room, with the mic out toward the center of the room, that keeps the sidewall reflections out of the measurement as well. Maybe put some tape on the floor at 15º angles, measure on axis and then turn the speaker to each angle and adjust slightly to maintain the 24" to baffle/tweeter. If you can, go all the way out to 90º.
                    Dan N.

Comment

• kenny_k
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Jul 2010

Take a bow. Those a beautiful speakers.
                      Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                      DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                      Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

• PWR RYD
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Dec 2009

Great work Mike! I love the look of hickory. You nailed the color contrast. Now you just need a big KT88 tube amp ;)
                        Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

• 6thplanet
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Jun 2009

Heck yea, those look fantastic dude! So you used CC to adhear the veneer to the box? What kinda backer was on the veneer and did you use any softener to get it to go around that radius without splitting?
                          A mains
                          The Ventures
                          Open Invit8tions
                          RSR
                          Sound Troopers
                          Acorns
                          DGBG's
                          The Monuments

Comment

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by kenny_k
                            Take a bow. Those a beautiful speakers.
                            Yes, put a bow on them! I'll PM my address.
                            " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                            Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                            http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

• Mike220
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by PWR RYD
                              Great work Mike! I love the look of hickory. You nailed the color contrast. Now you just need a big KT88 tube amp ;)
                              I need to listen to a tube amp for sure. Its hard for me to jump on the tube wagon for $500-800 bucks for a diy 40 watt amp. Im not that good with electronics that i feel comfortable making one and Im kinda cheap tho so its probably just me.

Originally posted by 6thplanet
                              Heck yea, those look fantastic dude! So you used CC to adhear the veneer to the box? What kinda backer was on the veneer and did you use any softener to get it to go around that radius without splitting?
                              I used contact cement (non water based). The hickory was 10mil paper backed. I used 3/4" roundovers but would highly recommend larger. I used "veneer tamer" and rubbed it in with a rag around the bends to softed the veneer to make the bend. I wrapped from the bottom of one side all the way to the opposing side. It was very stressful and risky because i was gonna lose a 16" x 75" piece of veneer if it didnt work. A few grains did split on one cabinet were a knot was that couldnt take the bend so well.
                              My Build Thread's

Comment

• 6thplanet
                                Seasoned Veteran
                                • Jun 2009

Cool, thanks for sharing! Again, big thumbs up for a job well done.
                                A mains
                                The Ventures
                                Open Invit8tions
                                RSR
                                Sound Troopers
                                Acorns
                                DGBG's
                                The Monuments

Comment

Working...