X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • remlab
    • Jan 2013

Re: BG Neo10 Testing

Originally posted by LFM2
    I have a question. Were the wires soldered directly to the terminals of the Neo10's. The reason I ask is that I built a pair of GRresearch Alpha line sources which use the non PDR neo 8. There are 8 per side. In the first 2 years I had these I had 2 Neo 8's fail. This would cause 4 in the line to stop working. I became worried that the remaining drivers had been damaged by soldering. I ended up replacing all 16 Neo 8's and connected these with spade lugs. The before and after change in performance was major. I spoke with Chris Brunhaver at B&G and he supplied the new drivers at a very good price. I suggested that the instructions shipped with the driver include a warning to use extreme caution when soldering. I don't believe that this happened. I am very pleased with the performance of the new drivers and have not had one fail in five years. I have 16 questionable Neo 10's in a box in my basement that I wouldn't sell to my worst enemy.
    I think you mean 16 Neo 8's in a box in the basement, not 16 Neo 10's

Comment

• remlab
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by framus
      I've used perhaps 100 of of the non-pdr Neo 8's in my Philharmonic speakers (crossed steeply at 600 Hz and 2900 Hz, dipole operation), and have never had any field failures. They're easy to work with in that range from a frequency response standpoint and have excellent distortion measurements. When the Neo 10 became available, I tested out a pair hoping I could cross them lower. They didn't measure as well as the 8's. I wrote to the tech guys at B&G and had a few exchanges, but I decided to stick with the 8's. I'm not sure I would run them full range, but they do make an excellent dedicated midrange, particularly in an open-back application. Dennis Murphy
      Dennis
      Do you purchase all your Neo's directly from BG?

Comment

• Ron_E
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Face
        Dan's latest speakers are an excellent example of how these should be used.
        Which speaker? Is there a link?

Ron
        C-Note Iron Driver Build
        The Cherry π's

Comment

• S7910
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Ron_E
          Which speaker? Is there a link?

Ron
          The Echelon (the one on the catalog cover).
          Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.

We are passionate about great sound at whatever level we can afford, so don't let the audio atheists reduce the experience to a set of numbers and squiggly lines. - jbruner

Comment

Working...