Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rjlurton
    • Dec 2005

1/2 (.5) ohm stable mono car amp?

I know it's a long shot but I was wondering if anyone knew of a smaller car amp that can drive a single .5 ohm 8" free air sub? I'm changing the head unit in my car and, since the original connects to the 5 ch factory amp via a fiber optic connection, I have to replace the amp, as well. I have the cabin speaker covered but can't come up with an amp for the sub.

I'd like to avoid changing the sub, but I'm guessing that's where I'm going to end up.

Thanks for any advice or input.
  • Wolf
    Obsessed & Proud of It
    • Sep 2005

Re: 1/2 (.5) ohm stable mono car amp?

Look for 'cheater' amps or something vintage from Soundstream or USamps.
    That's about all I know...
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• nick29498141
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by rjlurton
      I know it's a long shot but I was wondering if anyone knew of a smaller car amp that can drive a single .5 ohm 8" free air sub? I'm changing the head unit in my car and, since the original connects to the 5 ch factory amp via a fiber optic connection, I have to replace the amp, as well. I have the cabin speaker covered but can't come up with an amp for the sub.

I'd like to avoid changing the sub, but I'm guessing that's where I'm going to end up.

Thanks for any advice or input.
      Was the system BOSE, by chance?

NK
      I'm just that guy. www.sru.edu Rock Solid.

"It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion."

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Comment

• rjlurton
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by nick29498141
        Was the system BOSE, by chance?

NK
        It was, and still is At least until I get myself out from under it.

Comment

• poochieone
          Been Around Awhile
          • Sep 2008

there aren't tons of old models that fit the bill.
          I would look into an Orion 225HCCA (bridgeable into 1 ohm mono and is actually stable into a half ohm as well but will generate alot of heat (as well lots of power in excess of 550 wrms).
          US amps did produce a few mono designs, typically had HC in their name (high current) but they are all HUGE as they were real cheater amps rated at 25 watts or so but pushing out close to 1 kw at 1/2 ohm. it just may be cheaper to replace the sub since 8's are fairly inexpensive.

Comment

• estreet
            Been Around Awhile
            • May 2008

and also realize those "cheater" amps drew a LOT of amperage. just look at the altenators the sound-off guys use.

Comment

• rjlurton
              • Dec 2005

Thanks for the input fellas. I think I'm gonna go with a 5 ch amp and replace the sub once I find out exactly what it is.

It amazes my that none of the steror shops or web sites that I've been to have been able to tell me exactly what's in my car. I was hoping to get everything done at one time, head unit, amps, sub, etc., but everyone has told me they won't know until the rip the car apart. I've had better luck on assorted message boards, and here, of course. Looks like I'll have everything run for the sub and have them remove the factory sub until I get it replaced.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

Working...