X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete Schumacher
    Obsessed & Proud of It
    • Oct 2005

Re: Dayton PM180 - New High-End Midrange Driver

That new Dayton AMTPro-4 looks like it might do the trick after seeing Critofur's data. It should at least keep up with one of the PM180.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• davepellegrene
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Jeff B.
      Not yet. I was thinking of using one of the Diysoundgroup's SEOS waveguides. Do you have something in mind? I need it to be at least 96dB, even into the top octave.
      Jeff

You may be thinking compression driver but if not the AST2560 did really nice in my 165mm x 115mm guide with a depth of 1-1/2".

It says its sensitivity is 95dbs. I couldn't find a flat baffle measurement to compare the guide to. I must not have taken one. It did hold its top end with the guide.
      I used it in the open back speaker I brought to InDIYana this year.

Here are measurements 0-90 horizontal on a 10" x 14" baffle with my guide.

It would easily cross at 2kHz.

Dave
      http://www.pellegreneacoustics.com/

Trench Seam Method for MDF
      https://picasaweb.google.com/101632266659473725850

Comment

• NickJ
        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Face
        Ah, I didn't know about that weird energy storage...still if you were willing to do a sharp crossover a little higher it might still work. Still, probably not the best idea for a variety of reasons.

Comment

• mdocod
          • Mar 2012

I don't think the thermal limits would ever be a problem unless used in a pro-sound application.

-------------------

Jeff B.

Thank you for taking the time to share your measurements with us. It really gets the gears churning on big-3-way ideas. The first thing I thought when I saw these drivers pop up was that they might just have what it takes to pull off a DIY floorstander inspired by the B&W 800 series (something big, heavy, and efficient, with a sort of exotic high EBP large cone hifi oriented mid). Looking at your measurements this would definitely be a candidate for such an approach, though perhaps with lower crossovers all around.

If you wouldn't mind me picking your brain a bit. You mentioned the Delta Pro 12A, in what I believe you were indicating could be a TMWW build with one of these PM180's. Anything in particular about the 12A in this configuration that tickled you the right way? After some round-a-round in my head with it I can think of a number of reasons this driver could make more sense than would appear on the surface (in-room response when detuned, high inductor value needed to curb some excess sensitivity would simplify component count in the low pass to achieve a steep slope), so I'm curious to know if you had gone though a sophisticated process to arrive at that, or if it was just a rough idea at the time.

Thanks,
          Eric
          Pro/Fi Cinema Speaker project: "From the Ashes"

Comment

• Pallas
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Apr 2011

Not yet. I was thinking of using one of the Diysoundgroup's SEOS waveguides. Do you have something in mind? I need it to be at least 96dB, even into the top octave.
            Jeff
            High efficiency, smooth FR, controlled midrange pattern, combine that with a narrow form factor (as narrow as the chosen WG will allow) and that had "winner" written all over it.

Curious, Jeff, do you happen to have the old Audax aerogel or paper mids on hand? (Back in the day both impressed me more than the comparable Kevlar Focal). If so, I'd be curious how the Dayton compares.
            --
            "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

• Jeff B.
              Obsessed & Proud of It
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Pallas
              High efficiency, smooth FR, controlled midrange pattern, combine that with a narrow form factor (as narrow as the chosen WG will allow) and that had "winner" written all over it.

Curious, Jeff, do you happen to have the old Audax aerogel or paper mids on hand? (Back in the day both impressed me more than the comparable Kevlar Focal). If so, I'd be curious how the Dayton compares.
              I have used the Audax paper mids, but never the Aerogel. However, I no longer have those in order to make a comparison. I do have some Focal W cone 6W4311's and measured them at the same time as the Daytons on the same baffle in order to make a direct reference back to something. The Daytons were almost exactly 6dB more sensitive and had much lower midband distortion. The Focals had a much better behave roll-off.
              Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

• Jeff B.
                Obsessed & Proud of It
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by mdocod
                I don't think the thermal limits would ever be a problem unless used in a pro-sound application.

-------------------

Jeff B.

Thank you for taking the time to share your measurements with us. It really gets the gears churning on big-3-way ideas. The first thing I thought when I saw these drivers pop up was that they might just have what it takes to pull off a DIY floorstander inspired by the B&W 800 series (something big, heavy, and efficient, with a sort of exotic high EBP large cone hifi oriented mid). Looking at your measurements this would definitely be a candidate for such an approach, though perhaps with lower crossovers all around.

If you wouldn't mind me picking your brain a bit. You mentioned the Delta Pro 12A, in what I believe you were indicating could be a TMWW build with one of these PM180's. Anything in particular about the 12A in this configuration that tickled you the right way? After some round-a-round in my head with it I can think of a number of reasons this driver could make more sense than would appear on the surface (in-room response when detuned, high inductor value needed to curb some excess sensitivity would simplify component count in the low pass to achieve a steep slope), so I'm curious to know if you had gone though a sophisticated process to arrive at that, or if it was just a rough idea at the time.

Thanks,
                Eric
                I chose the Delta Pro 12A because when I used it in my Tempest design with the SEOS12 I was very impressed with its abilities to cross nicely into the midrange and I really liked how it handled the mid and upper bass range. It had more "slam" than I got from other woofers, so it seemed more dynamic and life-like. When I tuned it a bit lower than textbook its in-room response was very nice down to the 40hz range, so all in all it has become a favorite of mine for a 97-98 dB woofer. It really rocks.

Comment

• Jeff B.
                  Obsessed & Proud of It
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by davepellegrene
                  You may be thinking compression driver but if not the AST2560 did really nice in my 165mm x 115mm guide with a depth of 1-1/2".

It says its sensitivity is 95dbs. I couldn't find a flat baffle measurement to compare the guide to. I must not have taken one. It did hold its top end with the guide.
                  I used it in the open back speaker I brought to InDIYana this year.

Here are measurements 0-90 horizontal on a 10" x 14" baffle with my guide.

It would easily cross at 2kHz.

Dave
                  Hmmmmm.... I like this idea. I will give it some thought. I loved the highs from the speaker you brought that used this tweeter last April.

Comment

• Jeff B.
                    Obsessed & Proud of It
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by dcibel
                    Looks like one hell of a driver! Let's not forget there is an 8" model too!

Dayton's response charts definitely don't make their drivers look that attractive, that's for sure.
                    I have the PM220 model too. Oddly, it is a bit better behaved in the upper-end than the PM180 is, but the PM180 actually has lower midrange distortion, but just a bit better. The PM220 with a simple contour filter could be used as a full-range speaker and on-axis would be fairly respectable. Better than a Lowther, anyway. I thought about using it in my Alchemy speaker, but the Eminence Beta 8A was flatter below 2khz so I stayed with it. The PM220 has better bass though.

Comment

• 6thplanet
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Jun 2009

I have used the Audax paper mids, but never the Aerogel. However, I no longer have those in order to make a comparison. I do have some Focal W cone 6W4311's and measured them at the same time as the Daytons on the same baffle in order to make a direct reference back to something. The Daytons were almost exactly 6dB more sensitive and had much lower midband distortion. The Focals had a much better behave roll-off.
                      Aerogels RULE!! I'm an Audax wh0re, though....
                      A mains
                      The Ventures
                      Open Invit8tions
                      RSR
                      Sound Troopers
                      Acorns
                      DGBG's
                      The Monuments

Comment

• dcibel
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Jan 2010

I have the PM220 model too. Oddly, it is a bit better behaved in the upper-end than the PM180 is, but the PM180 actually has lower midrange distortion, but just a bit better. The PM220 with a simple contour filter could be used as a full-range speaker and on-axis would be fairly respectable. Better than a Lowther, anyway. I thought about using it in my Alchemy speaker, but the Eminence Beta 8A was flatter below 2khz so I stayed with it. The PM220 has better bass though.
                        That's good to know, and I gathered as much about the rolloff from Dayton's graphs. I'd always wanted to try out the Beta 8A, however after seeing this I think if I need a beta 8 I might just splurge on the PM220 instead.

A friend of mine built a 2-way "econowave" type of speaker with my help, using the Delta Pro 12A and D220ti that he uses in his basement theatre. I'll definitely keep these drivers in mind when he wants to upgrade either the surround/centre speakers, or upgrade the 2-way set to a larger 3-way set.

It also would appear that either driver has pretty good bass extension used in a ported cabinet. Better than I expected and they don't need a huge cabinet like most high effeciency drivers either. I guess I can thank a powerful neo motor for that. Would make great 2-way stereo systems that only need 15-30W of power.
                        I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

• bathtub
                          • Oct 2011

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has used the Eminence Beta 6a in a design like this for a mid ? I happen to have 2 that I bought at the tent sale.

Comment

• dcibel
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Jan 2010

A design like what? It's a very popular driver so I'm sure you won't be disappointed with them, however you decide to use them.
                            I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

• bathtub
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by dcibel
                              A design like what? It's a very popular driver so I'm sure you won't be disappointed with them, however you decide to use them.
                              I just thought about making a efficient 2 way with the 6a as a midbass. Maybe with a small waveguide and the 18 Sound EAW 1 inch driver. I also am intrigued by the Dayton PM drivers and wondered if the 6a could be used similarly. I will bow out, just was thinking out loud.

Comment

• donc
                                Seasoned Veteran
                                • Sep 2005

A high end mid deserves a high end tweeter ! It will be interesting to see what tweeter has enough spl and sq to be considered highend enough to make the cut . Wave guides and cd 's are the latest buzz , they are not for everyone but obviously a way to achieve spl but to be considered high end may be debatable !? I'm sure a lot of people will be watching this one .
                                ,donc

Comment

Working...