Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FS: NOS 5" Mid-bass Drivers, About 60 of them, buy a pair or the lot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FS: NOS 5" Mid-bass Drivers, About 60 of them, buy a pair or the lot!

ALL SOLD

Hello!

I was planning to do something extraordinary with these drivers, but I am not going to get to it this year, or maybe next. They are well built. Cast frame. Poly cone, rubber surround. Shielded magnet. Long excursion.
    Good sensitivity for use as a line array of mids.

Overall frame width = 6"
    Surround other diameter = 5"
    Effective Piston diameter = 4.375"

New old stock. These were used by Acoustic Research (Model # D03-0001), but I don't know what model they belonged to. T/S parameters from DATS are shown below.

Let your imagination run with these.

$25 pr pair, shipped CONUS, I have 12 drivers left.

Last edited by baco99; 11-10-2018, 07:25 AM.

They look a lot like some peerless drivers

Comment

fs of 102.3 Hz seems pretty high. I assume you have not broken them in before measurement. Why don't you break in a pair and measure again?
      “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
        fs of 102.3 Hz seems pretty high. I assume you have not broken them in before measurement. Why don't you break in a pair and measure again?

I haven't but I will try and post the results. I won't be able to break in all 60!

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
          They look a lot like some peerless drivers

Indeed - At this time in AR's history, they were owned by the same company that owned NHT. NHT used Peerless drivers for a long time. As service replacements, Recoton would often have drivers reverse engineered for models that Peerless stopped making. I have a few 8" drivers that were commissioned by Tonegan for this purpose.

Comment

Also, I assume break in would only improve the Fs reading, so the design options could get better with break in.

Comment

Originally posted by baco99 View Post

I haven't but I will try and post the results. I won't be able to break in all 60!
              Indeed, that is why I said "break in a PAIR"!
              “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Indeed, that is why I said "break in a PAIR"!
                I jest.

Comment

410 grams added mass for the V(as) measurement seems a bit much for this size woofer. ??
                  My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                  Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                  Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
                  The Archers
                  Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
                  The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                    410 grams added mass for the V(as) measurement seems a bit much for this size woofer. ??
                    DATS keep throwing an error until I continued to add weight. I'll try with break-in with program and white noise, and then remeasure in a few days.

In the mean time, if ANYONE is interested in experimenting themselves, MAKE ME AN OFFER. You can do all the break-in and testing you want. Any reasonable offer considered for the lot.

Comment

Looks exactly like AR 308HO I had apart last night
                      I forgot to check the model number
                      I think that whole series has the same or similar mid, AR315HO,312,310
                      Then AR1,3, etc looks the same too

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy154 View Post
                        Looks exactly like AR 308HO I had apart last night
                        I forgot to check the model number
                        I think that whole series has the same or similar mid, AR315HO,312,310
                        Then AR1,3, etc looks the same too
                        Makes sense. Thanks

Comment

I moved these to a warmer room, had them playing at moderate volume all weekend, remeasured and the Fs is about the same. 104 to 106 Hz across 4 drivers. The midrange on these sounds very nice.

Make me an offer

Comment

Based on the Fs, best application will be dedicated midranges or useful as satellites in a sub/sat surround setup. They won't dig deep enough to be used as midbasses without a sub.

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
                              Based on the Fs, best application will be dedicated midranges or useful as satellites in a sub/sat surround setup. They won't dig deep enough to be used as midbasses without a sub.
                              Yes exactly

Sale pending for all.

Comment

Working...
                              X