Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Designed & Printed Enclosures

Hey everyone,

Before I start, I really fear that a post like this will sound like soliciting, however I contacted jeffs_partsexpress prior to this and got the go ahead.

I've recently gotten pretty big into 3D printing and have since designed a pair of teardrop shape enclosures for the Dayton PS95-8's. Here is a link to an album if anyone is interested. I've purchased a large format printer that allows me to print this design in one piece, when before I was limited by my small printer's build volume and had to print them in two pieces. This large printer opens up a lot of possibilities for me and is really perfect for printing enclosures, specifically ones that could be difficult to build out of wood. I want to extend this service out to the DIY community as I think they would be a perfect fit for each other.

All models would be designed in Fusion 360. I'll be the first to tell you I'm not the greatest cabinet designer in the world, so I would need airspace and port requirements (if applicable) for the enclosures you wanted to build (along with any other dimensional constraints). Also, if you already had a design drawn up, I'd be more than happy to print it, providing it's printer friendly.

I'm able to print almost any design within reason, up to about a 5" driver (Nautilus enclosures anyone?). The only reason not to go any larger is because print times can get up into the 50-60 hour range, per side.

Pricing would depend on the size of the enclosure (material used) and print time, however most prints would be in the $60-80 range.

Like I mentioned above, I don't want to sound like some salesman, however I wanted to offer this up to the DIY community. I feel it falls along the same lines as if I were making baffles for people. This post is to gauge interest and to go from there. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, I'd be happy to answer them. Thanks for reading!
    -Brian

Originally posted by B_Rich View Post
    Hey everyone, Before I start, I really fear that a post like this will sound like soliciting, however I contacted jeffs_partsexpress prior to this and got the go ahead. I've recently gotten pretty big into 3D printing and have since designed a pair of teardrop shape enclosures for the Dayton PS95-8's. Here is a link to an album if anyone is interested. I've purchased a large format printer that allows me to print this design in one piece, when before I was limited by my small printer's build volume and had to print them in two pieces. This large printer opens up a lot of possibilities for me and is really perfect for printing enclosures, specifically ones that could be difficult to build out of wood. I want to extend this service out to the DIY community as I think they would be a perfect fit for each other. All models would be designed in Fusion 360. I'll be the first to tell you I'm not the greatest cabinet designer in the world, so I would need airspace and port requirements (if applicable) for the enclosures you wanted to build (along with any other dimensional constraints). Also, if you already had a design drawn up, I'd be more than happy to print it, providing it's printer friendly. I'm able to print almost any design within reason, up to about a 5" driver (Nautilus enclosures anyone?). The only reason not to go any larger is because print times can get up into the 50-60 hour range, per side. Pricing would depend on the size of the enclosure (material used) and print time, however most prints would be in the $60-80 range. Like I mentioned above, I don't want to sound like some salesman, however I wanted to offer this up to the DIY community. I feel it falls along the same lines as if I were making baffles for people. This post is to gauge interest and to go from there. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, I'd be happy to answer them. Thanks for reading!
    Over at diymobileaudio.com I started a thread inquiring about this very topic for horn bodies. I was told it wouldn't be strong enough! http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/.../topics/341986 Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ultimateherts View Post
      Over at diymobileaudio.com I started a thread inquiring about this very topic for horn bodies. I was told it wouldn't be strong enough! http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/.../topics/341986 Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Interesting! I wouldn't be opposed to this at all. I'm not familiar with what the dimensions of a horn need to be, but I've got a fairly crafty hand with Fusion and would be more than willing to give it a shot. Just to throw this out there, my part restrictions are 12" x 12" x 16" tall.
      -Brian

Comment

I think I know the answer to this, but just to make sure: Is the $60-80 price for a single unit or for a pair?
        “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Interesting! I wouldn't be opposed to this at all. I'm not familiar with what the dimensions of a horn need to be, but I've got a fairly crafty hand with Fusion and would be more than willing to give it a shot. Just to throw this out there, my part restrictions are 12" x 12" x 16" tall.
          Yes those dimensions would work great, but the only issue is that you would be copying a patented design. Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
            I think I know the answer to this, but just to make sure: Is the $60-80 price for a single unit or for a pair?

That would be for a pair. This would go way down for just a pair of tweeter enclosures. I was mainly referring to something the size of the enclosure in my original post.
            -Brian

Comment

Yes those dimensions would work great, but the only issue is that you would be copying a patented design. Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

If you had your own design in mind, I don't see any issue with drawing/printing something similar. I mean you can only have so creative of a horn design.
              -Brian

Comment

That would be for a pair. This would go way down for just a pair of tweeter enclosures. I was mainly referring to something the size of the enclosure in my original post.
                For a pair that is reasonable, for a single unit not so much. Looking at your cool PS95 enclosure, what would be the cost and does that include the small stand (small plate with 4 supports)? Or is that seperate? Is that also printed? I assume that would be easy to duplicate in wood.
                “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post

For a pair that is reasonable, for a single unit not so much. Looking at your cool PS95 enclosure, what would be the cost and does that include the small stand (small plate with 4 supports)? Or is that seperate? Is that also printed? I assume that would be easy to duplicate in wood.

The stands are also printed and would be included at no extra cost (regardless of the size of the enclosure). I no longer use the small plate with 4 supports design that is pictured in my album. I went with a more simple "puck" design that sits below the enclosures and cups the bottom (allowing the enclosure to pivot on them freely). The 4 supports design doesn't stand a chance at surviving shipping, and the puck design secures the enclosure much better (it's also more durable).

I had a sale last week for the ones pictured in the OP for $110 shipped. This design needs two rolls of filament though (each side uses roughly 600g of filament) so that adds to the cost. Something slightly smaller that uses only one roll of filament would bring it down to $90.
                  -Brian

Comment

If you had your own design in mind, I don't see any issue with drawing/printing something similar. I mean you can only have so creative of a horn design.
                    It would just be the IMAGE DYNAMICS mini horn design... Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

It would just be the IMAGE DYNAMICS mini horn design... Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
                      Would they be going in a car? PLA would have issues being in the extreme heat (100+ degrees). I can do ABS, but only smaller parts.
                      -Brian

Comment

Would they be going in a car? PLA would have issues being in the extreme heat (100+ degrees). I can do ABS, but only smaller parts.
                        Well that stinks... Oh well it was worth a shot!!! Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X