• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff B.
    replied
    Re: FS: Ready to try vinyl again? Ariston Turntable for sale

Originally posted by Wushuliu View Post
    Thank GOD. I can't believe it was available for as long as it was... I have enough tables as it is, thank goodness I don't have to 'adopt' another one!
    Actually it sold in the first day. I just waited to post after everything was completed.

Leave a comment:

• Wushuliu
    replied

Thank GOD. I can't believe it was available for as long as it was... I have enough tables as it is, thank goodness I don't have to 'adopt' another one!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Turntable is SOLD

Leave a comment:

• Jeff B.
    replied

Originally posted by dfaulds View Post
    Email sent. I've always wanted one of those.
    You have mail

Leave a comment:

• dfaulds
    replied

Email sent. I've always wanted one of those.

Leave a comment:

• ejfud
    replied

I'm ready to get back into vinyl, just not able at this time.

Someone will be getting a nice table at a good price. Good luck with the sale.

Leave a comment:

• FS: Ready to try vinyl again? Ariston Turntable for sale

The RD40 is a manual belt drive table with three point floating suspension. All three can be adjusted externally to adjust to the desired compliance. It is a two-speed table (33 and 45 RPM). The speed change is made by moving the belt to a different pulley position. It uses a very nice spindle bearing assembly that is isolated from the motor and is a very quiet table.

The table is complete with straight Ariston arm and an Accuphase cartridge. It is ready to plug in and play (although a new cartridge / stylus might be a nice upgrade). Besides the excellent floating suspension and isolated motor the table has a concave platter and screw down record clamp. New belts are still available too, and it will accept most arms if someone wants to upgrade.

This table Was built in Scotland and there is a family relationship between it and Linn Sondek LP12. It also has a close relationship to the original Oracle table too. In fact, some circles claim it was used as the concept that the Oracle was based on.

I have seen this table sell on Ebay for $450 - $500 dollars, and sometimes they are complete either. However, I am only asking $300 or best offer for the whole shebang with arm, cartridge, manual, and carton. A lot of times these are sold without cartridge, arm, or most commonly the screw down clamp. This table has everything and is in excellent condition.

Here are some pics

If you are not familiar with Ariston as a turntable manufacture they have a very interesting and storied history. Here is a summary:

The gist is that, back in the early Seventies, Hamish Robertson approached a fresh- faced Ivor Tiefenbrun with a business idea. Ivor's dad owned an engineering facility in Glasgow, Scotland, which Hamish wanted to manufacture his Ariston turntable. The Ariston RD11 was produced in 1971 by Castle Precision Engineering Ltd for Hamish Robertson who had formed Ariston in 1970. Hamish, along with Ivor Tiefenbrun and Ivor's late father, Jack Tiefenbrun (Castles owner) developed the design which featured a single point main bearing. The turntable was shown at the Harrogate show in the UK that same year and was distributed by C. J. Walker and Company.

"Ariston was once one of hi-fi's most illustrious brands. The proud name on one of Scotland's finest turntables, it was revered by many a well-heeled Seventies audiophile." Tom Clancy (December 1999)

If interested send me an email (not a PM) - just click on my name and use the email option.

Thanks,
    Jeff B.
Working...
X