Is omnimic for me? Q's about polars and smoothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is omnimic for me? Q's about polars and smoothing

I have a few questions. I cluttered someone else's thread.

Is omnimic ok for commercial use?

Is there a way to defeat smoothing and zoom the scale appropriately. All the images of omnimic I see around here use lots of smoothing and terribly wide x axis. Everything looks like a pancake. I'd like it to be very revealing so that I can properly evaluate breakup q, diffraction, details, etc.

What is the complete capability when it comes to polars? I know it can do 3d horizontal polars. Can it do circular 2d polars?

Thanks.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm2...oSKdB448TTVEnQ

Re: Is omnimic for me? Q's about polars and smoothing

I don't see why it can't be used for commercial use.
    Here's a link to the manual:
    http://www.daytonaudio.com/OmniMicV4/index_OmniMic.html
    Jeff

Comment

I can answer your question about smoothing. You can choose to add from 1 octave to no smoothing at all. Certainly when you're showing off your latest design you want it to look as nice as possible so that's probably the reason for the commonly smoothed plots. Plus unless you're looking for something specific, a plot with no smoothing at all is difficult to read. The plot screen is a bit elongated compared to most other programs and I don't remember the reason why but BWalso did explain once before a while back when it was first introduced. It was a comprimise.

You should download the software (free) and prod around and play a little so see if it meets your needs. I give it a lot of praise but as anything of this sort, it's not the end-all be-all of measuring systems but it is constantly being added to and upgraded. (at no cost so far for current owners)

TJ
      Hybrid floor stander build - The Tikki Lau - D8's

CNC baffle cutting services

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbouma View Post
        I have a few questions. I cluttered someone else's thread.

Is omnimic ok for commercial use?

Is there a way to defeat smoothing and zoom the scale appropriately. All the images of omnimic I see around here use lots of smoothing and terribly wide x axis. Everything looks like a pancake. I'd like it to be very revealing so that I can properly evaluate breakup q, diffraction, details, etc.

What is the complete capability when it comes to polars? I know it can do 3d horizontal polars. Can it do circular 2d polars?

Thanks.
        When doing design work I usally use little to no smoothing at all, larger open gate times, and tighter scales, so I can see the effects of changes more easily - even if the room effects are heavy in the graph. I seldom ever use the default 1/6 Oct smoothing.

I don't know of any measurement system that does circular polar plots, those are usually created via theoretical mathematical models.

Jeff
        Attached Files
        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Thanks all.

Jeff, I guess the circlular polars I've seen from soundeasy, they're just mathematical? Hmm, to bad. Still handy I guess. I find them really handy for looking at the forward lobe and null spacing.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanbouma View Post
            Thanks all.

Jeff, I guess the circlular polars I've seen from soundeasy, they're just mathematical? Hmm, to bad. Still handy I guess. I find them really handy for looking at the forward lobe and null spacing.
            Unless they're doing something I'm not following. It's looks like it would take a LOT a measurements to make it otherwise.
            Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Ya, it can take quite a few. About 20 to do a vertical polar.

Comment

Working...
              X