OmniMic -> miniDsp questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OmniMic -> miniDsp questions

Looking into this combination, but wanted to make sure I understood how it might be used.
    Assume 2 way active speakers
    Pick a cross-over point, set it up in minidsp.
    Take measurements with Omnimic to set driver offsets.
    Take measurements and have it optimize and create biquad values for minidsp
    export and iterate as desired.

Am I missing something?

It seems that I would need Unibox to size the enclosure, everything else is measured as built/in room.
    Also, is the graphic EQ plug-in useful to further refine this (like I imagine it would be)?

Re: OmniMic -> miniDsp questions

REW will do everything for you.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by mummykicks View Post
      Looking into this combination, but wanted to make sure I understood how it might be used.
      Assume 2 way active speakers
      Pick a cross-over point, set it up in minidsp.
      Take measurements with Omnimic to set driver offsets.
      Take measurements and have it optimize and create biquad values for minidsp
      export and iterate as desired.

Am I missing something?

It seems that I would need Unibox to size the enclosure, everything else is measured as built/in room.
      Also, is the graphic EQ plug-in useful to further refine this (like I imagine it would be)?
      Your approach might work, or it might not. Without proper modeling of the responses, including phase, you are sort of shooting in the dark. It depends on how the relative phases of the drivers around the crossover point work out. Sometimes you can get the relative phases to work out using digital delay. The phase difference comes from driver offset, and the driver's own response (the minimum phase) and will not necessarily be constant with frequency (digital delay IS constant with frequency and so may not make for a good phase/delay correction). Also, the crossover itself will introduce yet another phase response to each driver. But sometimes it will all work out fine, so try it and then post here about the results.

-Charlie
      Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

I punted. Mainly because I don't think I'll be building more than one other set of speakers for a while, and the cost of the omnimic + minidsp + amps can go into an AVR with room correction. However lame that might be, it will still be decent with a good set of speakers (looking at one of the SEOS kits). Still appreciate the information, I may yet waffle again and decide to do this...

Comment

Working...
        X