Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New multichannel DVD test disc introduced!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New multichannel DVD test disc introduced!

For those that have been waiting!

Overview

The Dayton Audio OMDVD Test DVD is the essential complement to the OmniMic V2 measurement system by Dayton Audio for fine-tuning home theater and multichannel audio systems.

Highlights
    • The only multichannel test solution designed for the OmniMic V2 system
    • Intuitive, easily-navigable menu structure
    • Full suite of multichannel audio test tracks for use with OmniMic V2
    • Use with any DVD or DVD-capable Blu-Ray player

Click here for the Instruction Manual

Click the image below for the product webpage

Re: New multichannel DVD test disc introduced!

More about the OmniMic DVD product:

The OMDVD Test DVD (Green Disc) brings the ease of OmniMic to your home theater or multi-channel music system, with a full suite of high-quality test signals that enable every OmniMic measurement function to be performed on every channel of a 5.1-channel audio system independently, or all at once. An intuitive menu system was designed with ease of use in mind, for quickly navigating the available test signals.

This is the essential add-on for the OmniMic V2 system for any home theater enthusiast or professional installer. It's the only multi-channel measurement solution available for the OmniMic V2 system, providing the full set of test signals developed exclusively for the OmniMic software. OmniMic delivers value for enthusiasts and professionals through its speed, simplicity, and portability, and now those three benefits can be easily applied to the task of optimizing a 5.1-channel surround audio system.
    Best Regards,

Rory Buszka
    Product Manager, Dayton Audio

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Comment

Very cool guys, thanks
      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Sure, squeeze another $20 out of me, now I got to find $80 worth of more goods to get free shipping :rolleyes:

Awesome, guys and gals! Thank You to all the PE folks! :D
        THOMAS BROWN aka "STINKY"

I've got an idea - an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. - Peter Griffin

I DON'T CARE WHAT KIND OF MUSIC YOU LISTEN TO, OR LIKE.
        SHUT UP, PUT DOWN THE WALLS OF PRETENSION FOR 1 SECOND AND JUST LISTEN TO THE SONGS
        - SCOTT IAN

Comment

Does this DVD work with OmniMic Ver. 1?

Comment

Could you add some more technical detail about the test tones? (Length in time rather than in adjectives,. and frequency range of each sweep, etc.)

Looks interesting but need more detail to see how useful it is for use with FuzzMeasure or other measurement systems in addition to Omnimic.
            --
            "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

i think i'll pick up a copy this week when i'm in the neighborhood.
              " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
              Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
              http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

I am sorry but this should be included in the $300 entry fee for the OM...

Comment

Originally posted by Pallas View Post
                  Could you add some more technical detail about the test tones? (Length in time rather than in adjectives,. and frequency range of each sweep, etc.)

Looks interesting but need more detail to see how useful it is for use with FuzzMeasure or other measurement systems in addition to Omnimic.
                  I don't believe you can use the test sweeps for OmniMic with any other measurement systems. They have been customized for the OmniMic software.
                  Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                    I don't believe you can use the test sweeps for OmniMic with any other measurement systems. They have been customized for the OmniMic software.
                    You might be able to analyze the OmniMic tones in another program, but I can't say whether you'd get usable data using them with any software other than OmniMic. The same goes for using third-party test tones with OmniMic. We don't officially support any third-party software programs or test signal sources.

The sweeps and pseudo-random noise test signals provided for use with OmniMic (and included on the multichannel test DVD) are designed to have a known duration, which the OmniMic software uses to make sure that the signal fed to the loudspeaker between each update of the graph contains the same amount of energy at every frequency over the time period. Without this synchronization the accuracy of the results might not be the same for every update of the graph.

The DVD hasn't been tested with version 1 of the OmniMic hardware or software, but it should still work, because until now there haven't been any changes to the way the software analyzes test signals.

And it costs less than Lincoln, Life of Pi, or Les Miserables, and you'll use it more frequently than you'll watch most DVDs.
                    Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                      Oh, they're not standard swept sine waves, as used by FuzzMeasure, HolmImpulse, REW, and so on?

I didn't know that.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      The sweeps and pseudo-random noise test signals provided for use with OmniMic (and included on the multichannel test DVD) are designed to have a known duration,
                      And what is that "known duration," in ms?
                      --
                      "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Oh, they're not standard swept sine waves, as used by FuzzMeasure, HolmImpulse, REW, and so on?

I didn't know that.

And what is that "known duration," in ms?
                        They are swept sine signals that have a particular duration. The actual duration could probably be reverse-engineered by somebody, but it's proprietary information. The 2-channel tracks are available for free download, but actual work went into creating the DVD (which is more than just tracks -- there's a whole menu system), so it costs actual money.
                        Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Comment

They are swept sine signals that have a particular duration. The actual duration could probably be reverse-engineered by somebody, but it's proprietary information.
                          That's short-sighted, but PE's decision.

but actual work went into creating the DVD (which is more than just tracks -- there's a whole menu system), so it costs actual money.
                          What makes you think I'm complaining about it costing actual money? I actually like that it's a standalone purchase, and think if you guys were smarter about it you could sell more of them.

The value is in the steering to 5.1 channels, and as you write, the menu system. You'll sell more of the DVD's if you give enough information about it so that people like me who are interested 5.1-channel measuring, but use a measurement program other than Omnimic, can determine if it's compatible. For instance, I use FuzzMeasure because it's a native OSX app.
                          Last edited by Pallas; 02-21-2013, 08:28 AM.
                          --

Comment

I was going to buy it but since I have to buy over $50 worth of products and since I am international plus postage makes it very expensive for me

Comment

What makes you think I'm complaining about it costing actual money? I actually like that it's a standalone purchase, and think if you guys were smarter about it you could sell more of them.

The value is in the steering to 5.1 channels, and as you write, the menu system. You'll sell more of the DVD's if you give enough information about it so that people like me who are interested 5.1-channel measuring, but use a measurement program other than Omnimic, can determine if it's compatible. For instance, I use FuzzMeasure because it's a native OSX app.
                              I'm familiar with FuzzMeasure, and I think it's a good measurement tool. However, if we publish or provide information meant to confirm or allow usability with another manufacturer's measurement product or process, that comes dangerously close to providing support for another manufacturer's product, which we (as Dayton Audio) cannot do. It usually has the effect of blowing the lid completely off a host of other third-party support questions that we don't have the time or resources to sort out.

That being said, the Pseudo-Noise test signal works well with third-party RTA software because it is not as dependent on signal timing to provide results. The pseudo-noise signal is simply encoded in such a way that it provides the correct distribution of energy at all frequencies within the time averaging period used by the OmniMic software. You might find that's the best way to use the OMDVD Test DVD with your other measurement software, but I can't officially say that the OMDVD and FuzzMeasure will be good partners for each other, since the OMDVD was developed specifically for OmniMic.

Originally posted by Oldbar
                              I was going to buy it but since I have to buy over $50 worth of products and since I am international plus postage makes it very expensive for me
                              Oldbar, if there is a Parts Express or Dayton Audio distributor in your geographical area, I recommend requesting that they carry the OMDVD Test DVD, to reduce the expense in shipping the product to you. Shipping costs are something that we can't be responsible for, unfortunately.
                              Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Comment

Working...
                              X