Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New multichannel DVD test disc introduced!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New multichannel DVD test disc introduced!

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    I'm familiar with FuzzMeasure, and I think it's a good measurement tool. However, if we publish or provide information meant to confirm or allow usability with another manufacturer's measurement product or process, that comes dangerously close to providing support for another manufacturer's product, which we (as Dayton Audio) cannot do. It usually has the effect of blowing the lid completely off a host of other third-party support questions that we don't have the time or resources to sort out.
    Sorry, but that doesn't pass any kind of smell test.

Let me change a couple nouns, just to illustrate how completely ridiculous your statement reads:

"I'm familiar with [the 15" CSS passive radiator], and I think it's a good [passive radiator]. However, if we publish or provide information meant to confirm or allow usability with another manufacturer's [box tuning] product or process, [such as T/S parameters for our Dayton Reference subwoofers,] that comes dangerously close to providing support for another manufacturer's product, which we (as Dayton Audio) cannot do. It usually has the effect of blowing the lid completely off a host of other third-party support questions that we don't have the time or resources to sort out."

Again, I recognize it's entirely PE's business decision to provide or not provide whatever information they want to provide. For any product, including both this test signal disk and for that matter the Dayton Reference drive-units. But if you do wish to justify decisions to a technically-minded public, you'd do better to use arguments that are not on their face utterly ridiculous.

I can't officially say that the OMDVD and FuzzMeasure will be good partners for each other, since the OMDVD was developed specifically for OmniMic.
    I wouldn't expect you (as PE/Dayton Audio) to, by any means, announce that your product intended for x is compatible with y. Either formally or informally. Nor would any other reasonable person considering this product for an "off label" use. However, providing the basic technical information I requested (frequencies covered in each sweep, and duration of each sweep) is entirely out of the scope of "supporting" another product. (If anything, it could provide work for your competitors, for example Mr. Liscio being bombarded with "can I use that disk with FuzzMeasure?") It's just letting informed customers who know what they're doing make a choice.

I think providing such information would help you sell more of 'em, because nobody else offers (to my knowledge) sweeps steered to 5.1 channels.
    --
    "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

I'm familiar with FuzzMeasure, and I think it's a good measurement tool. However, if we publish or provide information meant to confirm or allow usability with another manufacturer's measurement product or process, that comes dangerously close to providing support for another manufacturer's product, which we (as Dayton Audio) cannot do. It usually has the effect of blowing the lid completely off a host of other third-party support questions that we don't have the time or resources to sort out.

That being said, the Pseudo-Noise test signal works well with third-party RTA software because it is not as dependent on signal timing to provide results. The pseudo-noise signal is simply encoded in such a way that it provides the correct distribution of energy at all frequencies within the time averaging period used by the OmniMic software. You might find that's the best way to use the OMDVD Test DVD with your other measurement software, but I can't officially say that the OMDVD and FuzzMeasure will be good partners for each other, since the OMDVD was developed specifically for OmniMic.

Oldbar, if there is a Parts Express or Dayton Audio distributor in your geographical area, I recommend requesting that they carry the OMDVD Test DVD, to reduce the expense in shipping the product to you. Shipping costs are something that we can't be responsible for, unfortunately.
      You are the closest to us expect Japan but I would not be the only one who lives overseas who will find the shipping for a $20 item very expensive. Does that mean there will be no download and burn option for overseas buyers?

Comment

Originally posted by oldbar View Post
        You are the closest to us expect Japan but I would not be the only one who lives overseas who will find the shipping for a $20 item very expensive. Does that mean there will be no download and burn option for overseas buyers?
        At this time no such option is planned. The option to do something like this isn't off the table, but we would need to see a stronger demand for the service, because there would be some effort involved in setting up a content protection scheme and distribution method for an access code to access the download.

Parts Express does offer some shipping incentives; these might provide the best route to defraying the cost of shipping for the OmniMic DVD in the short run.
        Best Regards,

Rory Buszka
        Product Manager, Dayton Audio

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Comment

At this time no such option is planned. The option to do something like this isn't off the table, but we would need to see a stronger demand for the service, because there would be some effort involved in setting up a content protection scheme and distribution method for an access code to access the download.

Parts Express does offer some shipping incentives; these might provide the best route to defraying the cost of shipping for the OmniMic DVD in the short run.
          Well it's $25 shipping on a $20 DVD to ship to Canada. I'm sorry but there's just no way I'm paying $50 for a DVD with some test sweeps to add some convenience. I hope that you are not offended if I create my own DVD from the sweeps that came with my Omnimic.

IMO it should be a simpler task to provide a download service than to design, print and distribute DVD's, but maybe I am wrong here.

I'd like to hear more about the shipping incentives for international customers. From my experience with PE the only incentive is that if I buy more stuff, the shipping cost goes down relative to cost of goods. For the most part it is less expensive for me to order Dayton products through Solen.
          I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

Working...
          X