Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Light Bulb is not clicking!! OmniMic help - Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Light Bulb is not clicking!! OmniMic help - Please.

I have read and read till my head hurts, the OmniMic help files, other tutorials on measurments with other set-ups, books, etc. Ocasionally the "light bulb" flickers and I think I have something, then it dims back to nothing.

Very Brief description of my "attempted" process, my patience is running thin at the moment with this.

Hooked up and calibrated - check.

Cheap test drivers in box (not expecting anything to look good, but if a tweeter blows up = ok)

wires run out of box.

Mic set up about 1m away on axis of tweeter.

now I run the cd on the recommend tracks - do I need to protect the tweet?

Better results from running the cd off a player and amp? or just use the laptop hooked to an amp?

with tracks running, I get "sqiggles" - never ending squiggles...

There are lots of buttons to push ocording to the help files, what the heck do I do to get a usable .frd file - bunch of averages? gating? phase? auto button up top - does it get checked? freeze/pause then trace? snapshot of it "squiggling"?

The Help files are exactly that, helpful. I know there are lots of variables in all of this, but come on! I can't seem to grasp what I am supposed to be doing, and the more reading I do - the more I seem to get lost.

I have combed threw this section of the forum as well as other parts of the intraweb.

Can someone take me under there wing and help make the lightbulb glow?

Or how about a Video tutorial?

I don't plan to become the Ultimate Designer of all-that-is-speaker, but would like to be able to feel semi-confident of getting some measurments.

I didn't buy the thing just to measure completed designs, I can listen to those and enjoy 'em.

Thanks,
    Tommy
    THOMAS BROWN aka "STINKY"

I've got an idea - an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. - Peter Griffin

I DON'T CARE WHAT KIND OF MUSIC YOU LISTEN TO, OR LIKE.
    SHUT UP, PUT DOWN THE WALLS OF PRETENSION FOR 1 SECOND AND JUST LISTEN TO THE SONGS
    - SCOTT IAN

Re: The Light Bulb is not clicking!! OmniMic help - Please.

I wish I could be of more help :(
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

No worries, buddy. I know you would if possible.

Going to double-post into TechTalk as well, seems this section doesn't get much traffic.
      THOMAS BROWN aka "STINKY"

I've got an idea - an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. - Peter Griffin

I DON'T CARE WHAT KIND OF MUSIC YOU LISTEN TO, OR LIKE.
      SHUT UP, PUT DOWN THE WALLS OF PRETENSION FOR 1 SECOND AND JUST LISTEN TO THE SONGS
      - SCOTT IAN

Comment

What exactly are you having trouble with? Maybe a screen shot? It's pretty simple. Here's what I do for a simple measurement (omnimic does a whole lot more).

Open the software.
        Click on the advanced function.
        Click show phase.
        Set your gate by clicking on the impulse screen at the bottom of the screen. Wherever you click it is set to.
        Above the frequency response screen click sine sweep and blended.
        Play track 2 from your laptop or cd and amp.
        Pause the recording button.
        Click the save file button at the top left.
        The first choice is save file, click it and save the file.
        Extract minimum phase and it ready for PCD.

I think thats it.

Comment

Adding a few details to what Tom posted.

Open the software.
          Click on the advanced function. (Frequency Response)
          Click show phase. (click box at bottom right under SPL plot)
          Set your gate by clicking on the impulse screen at the bottom of the screen. Wherever you click it is set to. (I start by using the default, red part of trace)
          Above the frequency response screen click sine sweep and blended.
          Play track 2 from your laptop or cd and amp.
          Adjust volume of your system to raise the test signal high enough above any background noise (click auto at top right to auto adjust the mic gain, unclick when slider adjusts)
          Click smoothing drop box and pick the amount of smoothing, the less smoothing the more ragged the plot, I like 1/6 or 1/12
          At this point I usually restart the CD track and watch the plot develop and settle into a steady response curve
          Pause the recording button. (top left just under File menu, you pause and restart with these two buttons)
          Click the save file button at the top left in the File drop down menu.
          The first choice is save file, click it and save the file.
          Extract minimum phase and it ready for PCD.

I have been playing with the software for one week so anybody feel free to add more to the instruction list. It is a nice and simple test program, very quick, flexible, and easy to use on any system with a CD player.
          Martin

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
          www.quarter-wave.com

Comment

that was pretty good. note that with phase turned on, phase is included in the frd file.
            " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
            Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
            http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Working...
            X