Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omnimic phase question

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased an Omnimic and have been using it a lot. I have found it easy to use and am pleased with the results.

I have noticed a behavior that I do not quite understand and need a little help. I am using the Omnimic CD through a standalone CD player to an integrated AMP (Audio Source AMP 100). I set the amplitude to a gain setting of about 3/4 of the omnimic range as set by the auto gain feature and then turn off auto gain. I then play track 2.

I set the window to 5 msec (although this does not seem to affect the issue). The resulting amplitude trace is rock solid from chirp to chirp. Very repeatable. The phase, OTOH, say 3khz and beyond is smooth but the angle changes. It is not noisy. It is very repeatable. After each chirp the phase moves position usually from low to high and then back to low, but not always. The shape is the same, but the slope is changing. It is not random nor does it seem to be signal level related. I have tried it on two computers (a newer win 7-64 machine and an older win XP machine) and the behavior is the same.

I know words are difficult to interpret so I have made an overlay. The amplitude is stable and each trace overlays very well. The phase is stable as well but seems to move up and down.

Any thoughts on how to improve phase tracking would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marty

Click image for larger version

Name:	omni phase shift.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1183634

Re: Omnimic phase question

ive gotten the same results and have wondered about it. depending on when you pause the graph, the phase will differ. maybe Bill will show up and give us a clue.
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Re: Omnimic phase question

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      ive gotten the same results and have wondered about it. depending on when you pause the graph, the phase will differ. maybe Bill will show up and give us a clue.
      +1

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Working...
      X