Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get computer to recognize OmniMic

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can't get computer to recognize OmniMic

    So one of the door prizes at InDIYana was a OmniMic and I managed to get it :D. This is fantastic because I've wanted one of these for a while now, but had no idea where to begin to decide what to get.

    Now that I have one, I still don't really know where to begin :p. So far, I've downloaded the software from Dayton's website. When I pull the software up on my ASUS (windows7) laptop and plug the mic in, the program comes up but says "OmniMic not found!". The microphone itself's blue LED lights up when it's connected, but the program still doesn't recognize it.

    I've also gone to Dayton's website and entered the serial # to do the calibration, but I can't figure out what to do w/ the info that pops up after I've done that.

    Can anyone who's used this help me along? Explain it much the same way you would teach a monkey how to do this, I'm not the most computer savy guy around ;). I think where I'm facing the biggest issue is how to do the calibration or how to get the software to recognize the microphone.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Looking forward to measuring everything from the kid's voices to the HT system
    Last edited by mattsk8; 04-23-2013, 11:25 PM.
    "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
    "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

  • #2
    Re: Can't get computer to recognize OmniMic

    There is a very good help file. Have you read it yet?
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

    Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

    http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Can't get computer to recognize OmniMic

      Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      There is a very good help file. Have you read it yet?
      I have. I think where I'm having trouble is at Dayton's site. When I go to their site, then click on "Test & Measurement", then select "UMM-6 USB Measurement Microphone ", I then scroll down to the box where I input the serial #. Once I input the serial # and click "select", it says,
      "SERIAL NUMBER FOUND
      Your link to the calibration file is: #######"

      Then it says "Please RIGHT CLICK the blue link then click SAVE AS then save the file to a location on your computer.
      The file will be ready for import into your testing software."

      The problem is, the only save option I have when I right click is "save target as". When I select "save target as" it saves the file to my picture library. I'm guessing I have to somehow get this into the OmniMic software, but I have no idea how to do that.
      "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
      "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Can't get computer to recognize OmniMic

        Open the Omnimic window. In the top tool bar select "config", select mic id, enter the serial number and select web. Follow the instructions from there.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Can't get computer to recognize OmniMic

          Originally posted by dcgold2000 View Post
          Open the Omnimic window. In the top tool bar select "config", select mic id, enter the serial number and select web. Follow the instructions from there.
          I've tried that as well.

          In the OmniMic program, I select 'Config'; then select 'Mic ID'; then a smaller box opens that has the option to input the file program from my computer by selecting the tab that says 'local', then I peruse the files in my computer and select the file I "save target as" from Dayton's website; which I've done and it doesn't seem to do anything.

          From the same smaller box that has the 'local' option, I can also select 'web'; when I select 'web' another small sub tab opens and says "Enter the serial number of your OmniMic and click 'Look Up'". Once I enter the serial # and select 'Look Up', it says, "OmniMic could not locate or load the requested calibration file. Make sure your computer is connected to the internet" (Obviously my computer is connected to the internet).

          BUT, before I do any of that, if I just hover over the smaller box w/ the 'local' and 'web' options, I get a message that says "If your OmniMic has a serial number, then you can download the cal file for your mic from the Dayton Audio website"; which just brings me back full circle to...

          How do I download the cal file for my mic from the Dayton Audio website???
          "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
          "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Can't get computer to recognize OmniMic

            What is your mic's serial number?

            Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
            I've tried that as well.

            In the OmniMic program, I select 'Config'; then select 'Mic ID'; then a smaller box opens that has the option to input the file program from my computer by selecting the tab that says 'local', then I peruse the files in my computer and select the file I "save target as" from Dayton's website; which I've done and it doesn't seem to do anything.

            From the same smaller box that has the 'local' option, I can also select 'web'; when I select 'web' another small sub tab opens and says "Enter the serial number of your OmniMic and click 'Look Up'". Once I enter the serial # and select 'Look Up', it says, "OmniMic could not locate or load the requested calibration file. Make sure your computer is connected to the internet" (Obviously my computer is connected to the internet).

            BUT, before I do any of that, if I just hover over the smaller box w/ the 'local' and 'web' options, I get a message that says "If your OmniMic has a serial number, then you can download the cal file for your mic from the Dayton Audio website"; which just brings me back full circle to...

            How do I download the cal file for my mic from the Dayton Audio website???

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Can't get computer to recognize OmniMic

              Originally posted by dcgold2000 View Post
              What is your mic's serial number?
              I'm actually working w/ Dayton's tech support right now. It seems I might have a UMM-6 that was accidentally packaged in a Omnimic V2 package. I'll report back on what I figure out.
              "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
              "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Can't get computer to recognize OmniMic

                That would explain a lot.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Can't get computer to recognize OmniMic

                  Originally posted by dcgold2000 View Post
                  That would explain a lot.
                  For sure! Rory (from the TT forum) has been a huge help in this. PE has the new one on it's way
                  "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                  "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Can't get computer to recognize OmniMic

                    I got my new mic and that was the problem. Dayton made it right, to say the least!!! Excellent customer service .

                    I've played w/ this for a few minutes, but I haven't had much time to dive into too much if any of it's functions and uses. Hopefully tomorrow or maybe Sunday I'll have more time for that.

                    Anyone have any pointers, tips or suggestions before I get started w/ this?? Aside from a decible meter, I've never used any measurment equipment before.
                    "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                    "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Can't get computer to recognize OmniMic

                      Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
                      I got my new mic and that was the problem. Dayton made it right, to say the least!!! Excellent customer service .

                      I've played w/ this for a few minutes, but I haven't had much time to dive into too much if any of it's functions and uses. Hopefully tomorrow or maybe Sunday I'll have more time for that.

                      Anyone have any pointers, tips or suggestions before I get started w/ this?? Aside from a decible meter, I've never used any measurment equipment before.
                      I've got a couple tips that can help get you up and running quickly doing accurate frequency response measurements by avoiding a couple of common pitfalls:
                      1. Make sure you load the correct calibration file for your mic before making any measurements. The calibration file corrects for sensitivity and frequency response differences through the microphone capsule, analog electronics, and analog-to-digital conversion chain, and also accounts for unit-to-unit variation from one microphone to the next. This frequency response and sensitivity adjustment is not performed by the microphone itself, but by the host PC, so the calibration file is essential to proper operation.
                      2. Be sure to select the correct test signal type - sine sweep or pseudo-noise. The two available test signal types, sine sweep and pseudo noise, have very different high-frequency characteristics, so they cannot be used interchangeably. The type of test signal being used must be properly selected at the top of the Frequency Response window.
                      Best Regards,

                      Rory Buszka
                      Product Manager, Dayton Audio

                      The best way to predict the future is to create it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Can't get computer to recognize OmniMic

                        Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                        I've got a couple tips that can help get you up and running quickly doing accurate frequency response measurements by avoiding a couple of common pitfalls:
                        1. Make sure you load the correct calibration file for your mic before making any measurements. The calibration file corrects for sensitivity and frequency response differences through the microphone capsule, analog electronics, and analog-to-digital conversion chain, and also accounts for unit-to-unit variation from one microphone to the next. This frequency response and sensitivity adjustment is not performed by the microphone itself, but by the host PC, so the calibration file is essential to proper operation.
                        2. Be sure to select the correct test signal type - sine sweep or pseudo-noise. The two available test signal types, sine sweep and pseudo noise, have very different high-frequency characteristics, so they cannot be used interchangeably. The type of test signal being used must be properly selected at the top of the Frequency Response window.

                        So which should be used where? Total measurement noob here, so go easy on me....:o


                        Mark
                        You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

                        ~Pink Floyd

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Can't get computer to recognize OmniMic

                          The psuedo noise will not give results up high is all.
                          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

                          Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

                          http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Can't get computer to recognize OmniMic

                            What's it for, then?
                            You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

                            ~Pink Floyd

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Arizona Cardinals lose- in season finale to San Franciscoers

                              
                              Everyone is so quick the culprit one thing instead of looking at the big picture because people tend to be lazy.? I know it.? I recieve lazy from time to time.? People choose not to read in the details.? They only see what they want to see in the surface of a problem.? Right this moment, we are all sick of sacrificing.? We were just becoming familiar with winning after generating the Super Dish in February 09.? I get it.? I'm just as passionate because the next guy.? I wish to win now also.? You also have to be sensible though.? There is no “magic” key.? Could Andrew Fortune be the answer?? Certain, but I wouldn't move betting the plantation on it.? So, why don't we just deal with they we've been dealt, excuse the pun, and discover how the cookie crumbles once January 2nd rolls around.? Then, we can most start thinking about exactly what the Cards can and may do looking ahead to This year.? Until then, get your rears in support of Kolb and do it.? He's your dude, like it or not.?
                              TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) — The Arizona ( az ) Cardinals have signed receiver Robby Toma, and released small end Kyle Auffray and working back William Powell. Arizona also waved receiver Michael Rios with a non-football injury. Toma can be a rookie free agentNotre Dame, in which he caught Twenty-four passes for 252 back yards in 13 games as a senior recently.
                              4. Patriots. The Patriots defense looked great against the The big players and their offense looked sharp, even without having utilizing all of their weaponry. The offense will be loaded with weapons and the've an elite signal harasser behind center. In the event the defense can continue to carbamide peroxide gel the Patriots could be rising the chart to number one in the next two weeks. (Trend = Way up)
                              Speaking of coverage, Patrick Peterson is a bodily back, we know that. It got your ex into trouble often times last season within coverage. On numerous occasions, defensive coordinator Ray Horton shouted, "Don't grab, Patrick!" With any luck , he avoids it just enough keep away from charges.
                              Unfortunately, Lumpkin is the only player with Cardinals roots to become added so far. One other two players required are a former Arizona ( az ) Wildcat and a hulking offensive deal with. Ricky Elmore, an outside linebacker Buy Nike NFL Jerseys Cheap with many pass rushing abilities, did not make the rosters of the Packers or the Battery chargers, so Arizona will now give him a shot. At U of A, he had 25.5 carriers over three seasons, so he does have a very knack for getting for the quarterback.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X