X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomzarbo
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Jan 2006

Any tutorial videos on using Omnimic?

I just did a quick search for tutorial videos on Youtube and saw a few videos about it, but nothing that explains it's use and features.

Just wondering if any of you were aware of any online videos that describe how to use Omnimic in detail.

thanks,
    TomZ
    Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF
  • oldmarine
    • Oct 2014

Re: Any tutorial videos on using Omnimic?

Originally posted by tomzarbo
    I just did a quick search for tutorial videos on Youtube and saw a few videos about it, but nothing that explains it's use and features.

Just wondering if any of you were aware of any online videos that describe how to use Omnimic in detail.

thanks,
    TomZ
    I would like to add MY most desperate request since I am new, lost and could use ANY guidance I can find!
    Pioneer Elite SC-81 7.2-Channel Class D3 Network A/V Receiver with HDMI 2.0--Klipsch KF-26 Towers--Klipsch KC-25 Center--BIC Acoustech PL-66 Surrounds--Outlaw LFM-1 Plus Sub #1--20 Year Old Polk PSW350 Sub #2

Comment

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Aug 2008

Wow. Over 22,000 views.
      Nobody has such yet.
      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

• dcibel
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Jan 2010

Is there something that the help file doesn't adequately describe how to use? How to use it is the easy part, you plug it in, play the sweeps through your speakers, and it displays the measurement result. That's it, you're officially using it. Beyond that, the "how to use it" is a course in acoustic design, that can encompass years of study, so many uses that can't simply be summed up in a short instructional video. From room acoustics to loudspeaker frequency response, to polar response, the functions are detailed in the help, but it assumes you have some knowledge of wavelengths, reflections, harmonics, etc.
        I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

• tomzarbo
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by dcibel
          Is there something that the help file doesn't adequately describe how to use? How to use it is the easy part, you plug it in, play the sweeps through your speakers, and it displays the measurement result. That's it, you're officially using it. Beyond that, the "how to use it" is a course in acoustic design, that can encompass years of study, so many uses that can't simply be summed up in a short instructional video. From room acoustics to loudspeaker frequency response, to polar response, the functions are detailed in the help, but it assumes you have some knowledge of wavelengths, reflections, harmonics, etc.
          I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not looking for a course in acoustic design, just a quick getting started video on how a normal Joe would, say, use Omnimic to get measurements on a two-way for instance. Reading a help file and seeing a video that shows how to do something are totally different things to some people. It probably depends on how a particular person's brain works I suppose. I've seen Jeff B use it at the seminar, but since I had no point of reference knowledge-wise, it didn't sink in as much as I would have wished it would have.

I'm just surprised that someone hasn't made a short video on the basics of using it, including what sweeps to use for doing what, or just a quick run-through of it's basic features that will allow a first time user to get started. I hear everyone saying how easy it is to use, but there are a whole bunch of us that don't seem to find it all that easy.

I can promise you and everyone else this... that as soon as I have a good grasp of how this thing works, I will be making a good, descriptive video of how to get started measuring with Omnimic so my fellow acoustic brothers don't have to struggle to get over the 'hump' of figuring out how to use it.

I'll look over the help file again to see if it makes more sense that it did in reads past. Thanks for the input.

TomZ
          Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video

Comment

• dcibel
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Jan 2010

Some knowledge of acoustics is a pre-requisite. You don't have to be an expert on the subject, but if you don't understand wavelength vs frequency, summation and cancellation when combining waves due to reflections, etc then you will find the graphs hard to understand because you won't know what you're looking at or how to interpret it. The Omnimic is easy to use, in that you don't have to fiddle with levels and any additional set up to get repeatable measurements. It is plug and play for its purpose. The biggest thing I had to wrap my head around when I started looking at measurements was gating. When you understand the what and why behind gated measurements, the placement of speaker and mic in room goes hand in hand.

The basic steps for setup are pretty simple:
            -place speaker as far from floor and ceiling as possible. For standard 8ft ceiling that would mean place speaker 4ft off the ground
            -place mic at least 3 woofer cone diameters away, larger woofers require longer distance for far field measurement.
            -line up mic on the tweeter axis, and first measure the tweeter so you get a well-defined impulse to determine correct gating
            -follow directions in Jeff's papers ;)

Jeff B has written a few papers that are extremely helpful for the use in speaker design. I don't have links handy but they are:
            "Finding the relative acoustic offset in PCD"
            "FRD response blender tutorial"
            "accurate in-room response to 10Hz"

With these tools along with the Omnimic help file you should be on your way.

Comment

• killa
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Jan 2006

I understand what Tom is saying. It took me a while to figure out how to save a file. I had previously used Holm and understand what I am doing when measuring. When I switch to omnimic I installed it, hooked everything up, ran some sweeps, and then said "OK, now what?". I wasn't sure if I was using the right sweep or how to save out a file. I could have read the help file but almost every help file I have ever read is poorly organized or is, well, unhelpful. Videos are much easier.

Comment

• tomzarbo
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Jan 2006

Right.
                I don't want to sound like I'm griping at all, I'm not. I am very thankful for all the work so many folks have done to make measuring and designing crossovers easier and attainable for the everyday man.... but, I consider myself fairly competent with various programs and seem to be able to figure out how to make them all work fairly well to do what I want. I can't say that for Omnimic yet. A video describing how to do it, which buttons to press, how to save, etc. would go a long way towards helping many of us understand how to get rolling with this.

I haven't had a chance to re-read the help files yet, but if I ever get some free time, I plan to. I actually wish they were print-out-able so I could just sit down and read it in one chunk. I'm in the process of my yearly re-read of speakerbuilding 201 by Ray Alden, but need to read the omnimic help again I think.

Watching a video that shows how to do something is SO MUCH easier for some people than reading and re-reading pages and pages of documents where you can easily loose the beginning thought half way through.

TomZ

Comment

• Mark65
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Jul 2007

You can print the pages, but the file is huge, make sure you have plenty of ink in the printer. And it's not really laid out like a manual, it's alphabetical IIRC. No slam on the author, I have a difficult time with pretty much all help files, they mostly just confuse me, instead of helping me. [emoji15]
                  You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

• tomzarbo
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Mark65
                    You can print the pages, but the file is huge, make sure you have plenty of ink in the printer. And it's not really laid out like a manual, it's alphabetical IIRC. No slam on the author, I have a difficult time with pretty much all help files, they mostly just confuse me, instead of helping me. [emoji15]
                    Yes, I saw the printer icon, but that's a pretty poor form of documentation for me to deal with since I don't like reading tons of info off a computer screen.
                    I just ended up looking up some help topics that touched on what I was struggling with and copy/paste into Word and snipping the artwork.

Looking over the help files, I see that it does briefly describe how to do some things with Omnimic, but it doesn't really get into the why of it, which is what most of us who are struggling really need.

There is an information gap that exists with this that needs to be filled in in my opinion.

I'll read the help file tonight and see if it sheds any light.

TomZ

Comment

• Mark65
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Jul 2007

I agree with you 100% on that, and it's why I have such a problem with help files. They ALL do that. Here's how to do it, but never WHY you should do it. Still, the basics that I could glean from the buttons and drop down menus got me data that let me design a crossover for my current project. How well it turns out is still up in the air, but you can follow my progress here.

I'm with ya, pal!

Mark
                      You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

• dcibel
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Jan 2010

I know you guys aren't agreeing with me, but I am okay with that. I just want to get across that the Omnimic is a tool, and like any tool the why you would use it is up to you. Lets say I bought a hand drill, it probably came with instructions telling me how to change bits, how to change speed, etc, but it doesn't tell me why I should drill a hole. The omnimic of course is a bit more of a complicated tool than that, but as far as manuals go the how is the only part they should explain IMO. The why is the part that made me buy the tool.

I guess I'm just failing to understand the problem. The help file "manual" is very well written IMO and gave me all the information I needed on how to use the tools. It's not laid out alphabetically, it has a table of contents that links you directly to specific information, like any manual should. You can print it out if you want to have a paper copy. I don't really understand the concept of copying and pasting to a word document, and I don't understand what you'd get out of a video that isn't already in the manual, and the beginner setup can be summed up in just a few points, which I did several posts back.

Saving? seriously guys? File menu -> save, like pretty much every other software in existence. What sweep to use? It's in bold print at the top of the screen, always, and the track list is in the help file. I ripped the CD to my computer and named the files so its easy to know what track is which without having to listen to them. Sorry guys I'm starting to get riled up so I'll just duck out of this thread. Sorry I haven't been able to help you much.

Comment

• dcibel
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Jan 2010

The manual is also available online as HTML:

Dayton Audio’s line of home A/V, loudspeaker design and test & measurement products are compared to similar items costing far more. Your path to great sound.

Comment

• tomzarbo
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Mark65
                            I agree with you 100% on that, and it's why I have such a problem with help files. They ALL do that. Here's how to do it, but never WHY you should do it. Still, the basics that I could glean from the buttons and drop down menus got me data that let me design a crossover for my current project. How well it turns out is still up in the air, but you can follow my progress here.

I'm with ya, pal!

Mark
                            Thanks Mark,
                            I'll check that out when I get a minute.

Originally posted by dcibel
                            I know you guys aren't agreeing with me, but I am okay with that. I just want to get across that the Omnimic is a tool, and like any tool the why you would use it is up to you. Lets say I bought a hand drill, it probably came with instructions telling me how to change bits, how to change speed, etc, but it doesn't tell me why I should drill a hole. The omnimic of course is a bit more of a complicated tool than that, but as far as manuals go the how is the only part they should explain IMO. The why is the part that made me buy the tool.

I guess I'm just failing to understand the problem. The help file "manual" is very well written IMO and gave me all the information I needed on how to use the tools. It's not laid out alphabetically, it has a table of contents that links you directly to specific information, like any manual should. You can print it out if you want to have a paper copy. I don't really understand the concept of copying and pasting to a word document, and I don't understand what you'd get out of a video that isn't already in the manual, and the beginner setup can be summed up in just a few points, which I did several posts back.

Saving? seriously guys? File menu -> save, like pretty much every other software in existence. What sweep to use? It's in bold print at the top of the screen, always, and the track list is in the help file. I ripped the CD to my computer and named the files so its easy to know what track is which without having to listen to them. Sorry guys I'm starting to get riled up so I'll just duck out of this thread. Sorry I haven't been able to help you much.
                            Here's my point boiled down to the basics.... I believe if a video were to be made with brief descriptions of which buttons to click to get basic measurements for say, a small two-way speaker already in a box, that video would take maybe, 7-10 minutes? I'm not talking about a concise description of every button/function, just enough to take measurements on a small two-way and a little bit on why. That would be enough to get many of us started. Our understanding/learning would grow from there.

dcibel, I understand that this either came easy for you, or because of the way your brain works, or possibly just a lot of leg work...you were just was able to figure this process out, but it's not that easy for everyone...

If it's so easy to understand the help files, wouldn't it be equally easy to watch a video and see someone doing this in real time and learn it that way? Some people have a hard time reading disjointed help files and making sense of it. I'll give it another go this weekend. Thanks for the link to the online help files. I'd love it if it were a PDF and could print the whole thing in one go, though; I think it may be more useful that way, like a good old fashioned users manual. I have Bass Box Pro, and X-Over Pro and they both have great user manuals that fully describe how their products work. I'd love to see that for PE's Omnimic.

Again, not meaning to complain, just trying to see if there are any videos that visually depict how to use this thing in action. Man, I can find a half dozen videos online of Big Foot, I would have thought someone would have done a video of this very cool and useful device by now is all I'm saying! ;)

TomZ

Comment

• dcibel
                              Seasoned Veteran
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by tomzarbo
                              Thanks Mark,
                              I'll check that out when I get a minute.

Here's my point boiled down to the basics.... I believe if a video were to be made with brief descriptions of which buttons to click to get basic measurements for say, a small two-way speaker already in a box, that video would take maybe, 7-10 minutes? I'm not talking about a concise description of every button/function, just enough to take measurements on a small two-way and a little bit on why. That would be enough to get many of us started. Our understanding/learning would grow from there.

dcibel, I understand that this either came easy for you, or because of the way your brain works, or possibly just a lot of leg work...you were just was able to figure this process out, but it's not that easy for everyone...

If it's so easy to understand the help files, wouldn't it be equally easy to watch a video and see someone doing this in real time and learn it that way? Some people have a hard time reading disjointed help files and making sense of it. I'll give it another go this weekend. Thanks for the link to the online help files. I'd love it if it were a PDF and could print the whole thing in one go, though; I think it may be more useful that way, like a good old fashioned users manual. I have Bass Box Pro, and X-Over Pro and they both have great user manuals that fully describe how their products work. I'd love to see that for PE's Omnimic.

Again, not meaning to complain, just trying to see if there are any videos that visually depict how to use this thing in action. Man, I can find a half dozen videos online of Big Foot, I would have thought someone would have done a video of this very cool and useful device by now is all I'm saying! ;)

TomZ
                              Okay Tom, I understand where you're coming from I think. I'm not going to make an instructional video myself, but if you have any specific questions I'm happy to help where I can.

I'm not going to say that this came easy to me, I've been researching acoustics for years to gain the understanding I have today. From my point of view the Omnimic software is easy, IMO it is as plug and play as the device can be, but I guess not everyone will agree with my position on that. Professionally I work in electronics, and my electronics background surely helped a lot to understand wave and signal interaction, so when I started learning acoustics the understanding of harmonics, intermodulation, phase etc came easily since it was the same principals applied to electronic theory. For example when I first started designing speaker, I saw many people looking at the "reverse null" and I kept wondering why you would do that when you already have the phase information, later to find the people were doing this because they didn't fully understand the phase information to begin with.

Anyway, shoot me a PM if you like, I'll try and help you out where I can. I can even email you a book or two if you like, I've collected a few over the years in digital form.

Comment

Working...