Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OmniMic 8db high beginning in top octaves

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OmniMic 8db high beginning in top octaves

    My OmniMic (v1 mic using V2 software) is about 8db high at 20khz, and starts the rise around 10k. I know this because we measured the same speaker in the same setup with mine vs. A new one.

    Is there a way to calibrate the microphone myself? Does anyone here know how to calibrate it? I am willing to ship it out to have it done if it cant be done myself.

    The person I purchased it from tried to manually change the calibration file, but the new file just resulted in an error and didnt work.

  • #2
    Re: OmniMic 8db high beginning in top octaves

    Originally posted by dustinbagby View Post
    My OmniMic (v1 mic using V2 software) is about 8db high at 20khz, and starts the rise around 10k. I know this because we measured the same speaker in the same setup with mine vs. A new one.

    Is there a way to calibrate the microphone myself? Does anyone here know how to calibrate it? I am willing to ship it out to have it done if it cant be done myself.

    The person I purchased it from tried to manually change the calibration file, but the new file just resulted in an error and didnt work.
    I take it by this your v1 mic was sent to PE to have a calibration file generated, instead of using the characterization "code" on the side of the mic? I think all v1 mics had the code on the side but I could be wrong. Have you tried with the characterization code as well as the cal file to compare?

    You could always send it back to PE to generate a new cal file for it. However if you have a "known good" setup you could take a measurement with each setup, and subtract the difference of the two measurements to generate a new calibration of your own. This probably requires a bit of excel magic, but it's doable.

    That said, if using the mic with the characterization code also yields a poor result, possibly the mic has been damaged. If the characterization code is good and you're happy with the result it provides, you can generate a cal file by essentially reverse engineering the characterization. Take a measurement with and without the code entered into the Omnimic software, and subtract one from the other to make a cal file.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: OmniMic 8db high beginning in top octaves

      Originally posted by dcibel View Post

      You could always send it back to PE to generate a new cal file for it. However if you have a "known good" setup you could take a measurement with each setup, and subtract the difference of the two measurements to generate a new calibration of your own. This probably requires a bit of excel magic, but it's doable.
      This is what was done, but he couldnt get the file to load properly.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: OmniMic 8db high beginning in top octaves

        Originally posted by dustinbagby View Post
        This is what was done, but he couldnt get the file to load properly.
        If you send me your original cal file along with your new file and I'll see if I can fix it for you. I sent you a PM with my private email address.

        How does loading the characterization code compare?
        I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: OmniMic 8db high beginning in top octaves

          Dustin,
          Just wondering how you made out with your mic?
          I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

          Comment

          Working...
          X