Vocal PA array with Peerless 5.25 HDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vocal PA array with Peerless 5.25 HDS

Hi there, my first post here on the Pro audio forum ...so easy on me...

My band is in despearte need of a vocal PA, and I had bought a few speakers on buyout some time ago. On hand I have:

(4) HDS Nomex 5.25" 830911 - truncated frame, ented cone, 8 ohms
    (4) HDS Nomex 5.25" 832873 - truncated frame, 8 ohms
    (2) Vifa BC 18s49-08 6"

My thought was to slap four of these (into each speaker) for a small vertical array...lightweight for easy transport. I don't want to sink money in elaborated x-over, it would be all full range wired two series (16-ohm string) then each string parallel for a 8 ohms total impedance. These extend to about 6k hz in the freq. response chart so would be OK for voice. Maybe later add a 1st/2nd simple crossover to a tweeter/horn to take care of 6khz and above. Our Yamaha MG mixer has bass/mid/high EQ so that would help. They'll be driven by a Peavey 120 w/ch amp. used for samll practice/venue. The Peerles require about 7.3 liter each on a vented box or go smaller into a sealed cabinet.

Also, any problem substituting in one of the 16-ohm series string with the 6" Vifa used in series with one of the HDS Peerles (16 ohm total)

Before I go any further thought I would post here first

I'm I wasting my time? or is there some potential

thanks

Re: Vocal PA array with Peerless 5.25 HDS

These aren't PA drivers so if your band makes absolutely no noise whatsoever(everybody on ears, electronis drums, and no instrument amps at all) then you'll be able to hear the vocals, but if even one guy brings so much as a 15w practice amp the vocals will be completely drowned out.
    Paul O

Comment

OK Paul that was a good one (LOL)...I guess that kills the idea...

Back to using our backups (Line6 guitar amps) w/12" driven by our yamaha mixer for the next upcoming gig. It worked good last time.

-cheers

Comment

It is not DIY but the RCF Art 312a can be found on sale for around $450 right now. It hangs in there with the $1200 boxes and is regarded as a good value for a vocal pa.

Comment

If you want to build something that is REALLY GOOD.

Please take the time to check out this web site. I have heard some of his designs and they ROCK. He knows what he is doing and there is nothing better than a horn loaded enlosure for pro sound!!!

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

tron
          Real amplifiers GLOW in the DARK!
          Nothing kicks A$$ like Glowing Glass!

Comment

Originally posted by revelator View Post
            ...My band is in despearte need of a vocal PA,...My thought was to slap four of these (into each speaker) for a small vertical array...lightweight for easy transport. ..I'm I wasting my time? or is there some potential
            You didn't mention the typical venue you play...
            I guessing that the dimensions are not appropriate for a line array;
            and IF it was as Paul said "These aren't PA drivers"
            "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
            “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
            "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Typical venue is small (varies),last time it was a restarurant/bar. Except for the drummer (which we have to beat periodically to keep it quiet) , our four-piece band does not play loud and the PA would be strictly vocals. At the moment we only have a single Peavey SP112 ... and on vocals it sounds muddy crappy anyways...on top of that the horn is blown.

I was thinking that four fullrange mid/woof Peerles would take me into the 90db+ range for vocals only since their freq respose is relatively flat...But I know there is more to it than just slapping four of these together in a vertical array due to freq. cancellation? I don't know??

any more comments thanks...

Comment

So the distance from band to audience is short & close?

At the moment we only have a single Peavey SP112 ... and on vocals it sounds muddy crappy anyways...on top of that the horn is blown
                LOL I'm not surprised...
                A SP112 was designed to meet a price/performance point.
                ( FWIW: I heard much better boxes in that config. )
                "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Also note:

Four 5.25" drivers is not a line array. It will not behave like a line source at any frequency in its passband.

(Somebody needs to tell that to Galaxy Audio, which makes a product like this).
                  Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by Taterworks View Post
                    Also note:

Four 5.25" drivers is not a line array. It will not behave like a line source at any frequency in its passband.
                    All sources are both line sources (operating in the nearfield) and point sources (operating in the farfield) at some portion of their bandwidth. In any event the main reason for using line sources in PA is not realizing the nearfield condition, it's vertical pattern control with horizontal pattern uniformity. Four 5.25" might not seem all that effective, but experience proves otherwise. For example:
                    http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/vi...p?f=30&t=14042

But you still need to either use pro drivers or at least twice their number with hi-fi drivers.
                    www.billfitzmaurice.com
                    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

All sources are both line sources (operating in the nearfield) and point sources (operating in the farfield) at some portion of their bandwidth.
                      I feel it's more important to find the appropriate design that produces the desired/needed dispersion pattern.
                      That's why McCarthys pragmatic focus on what the source does ( dispersion pattern over distance etc ), rather that what it is called: is an objective practical approach.
                      But you still need to either use pro drivers or at least twice their number with hi-fi drivers.
                      The combined Sd of 4 5.25" is about the same as a 10" driver: That may be enough displacement for some; it is insufficient for the needs of others.

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                        The combined Sd of 4 5.25" is about the same as a 10" driver: That may be enough displacement for some; it is insufficient for the needs of others.
                        It is not a question of displacement, but of efficiency! I am sure that is what BFM's statement alluded to.
                        “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

It is not a question of displacement, but of efficiency! I am sure that is what BFM's statement alluded to.
                          It is not a "free lunch" without considerations;
                          As the line of drivers is extended - the coupling bandwidth is reduced.
                          ( Ref: Loudspeaker handbook and Electroacoustical reference data By John Eargle )
                          For (4) 5.25" drivers ctc: 1291Hz

Comment

Originally posted by revelator View Post
                            At the moment we only have a single Peavey SP112 ... and on vocals it sounds muddy crappy anyways...on top of that the horn is blown.
                            So why not simply repair the horn driver? The RX22 diaphragm is widely available.. http://www.parts-express.com//pe/psh...94-322&ctab=14
                            Paul O

Comment

Working...
                            X