Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best pro amp for home use=qsc gx5,rmx 2450 or yamaha p5000s ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best pro amp for home use=qsc gx5,rmx 2450 or yamaha p5000s ?

first time to post on the pro side ! all three amps put out 500 watts x 2 into 8 ohms , both qsc's show .05 thd while the yamaha shows .5 thd .another candidate is the behringer a500 which when bridged would also put out 500 watts , amp wiill be powering 15" 3 ways so amp used will require reserve/guts .fan noise is not an issue . any other suggestions ?
    donc

Re: best pro amp for home use=qsc gx5,rmx 2450 or yamaha p5000s ?

Crown, Peavey, Carvin, Tapco, Crest...

Comment

The Yamaha is quieter... zero fan noise unless it's being driven hard, and cleaner sounding despite what the specs would have you believe. The power specs are 525w at 1%, 500w at 0.1%, so it's down to 0.01% by maybe 475w. I have several of these and picked them over the PLX on SQ features and price, the RMX doesn't compare in any way except for raw power.
      Paul O

Comment

Originally posted by donc View Post
        first time to post on the pro side ! all three amps put out 500 watts x 2 into 8 ohms , both qsc's show .05 thd while the yamaha shows .5 thd .another candidate is the behringer a500 which when bridged would also put out 500 watts , amp wiill be powering 15" 3 ways so amp used will require reserve/guts .fan noise is not an issue . any other suggestions ?
        donc
        If this is for a sub I would be more interested in the dsp than thd.

Comment

I have used Yamaha pro amplifiers before and distortion has never been noticed. I would recommend them also due to no fan noise. Stay away from DSP as home systems are designed for RE-production vs sound production. The point behind this is that HT systems need to accurately produce the signal provided whereas the DSP in pro amps are designed to manipulate the signal to overcome shortcomings in the system or venue. I have never liked bridging amps as it seriously reduces the amplifier's damping factor.

Comment

which of the amps listed ,if any , have DSP ? Digital Signal Processing ? the yamaha seems to be the amp of choice !? the yamaha appears to have DSP but has a switch to turn it off !?
            donc

Comment

DSP is available on some of the newer amps from Crown, PV, QSC.. though to get a truely usefull range of features you have to step up beyond the entry level amps. I don't know if the processing included on the Yamaha P series is digital or not but it's completely non adjustable so it's not really of much use unless you have Yamaha Club series speakers.
              Paul O

Comment

So in off position , the yamaha would be amp of choice ?
                Donc

Comment

Originally posted by donc View Post
                  So in off position , the yamaha would be amp of choice ?
                  Donc
                  That would be my vote.
                  Paul O

Comment

I would second that vote.

Comment

If you saw what was in the QSCs you'd be scared away from using them as home amps. Especially if you're an op-amp-a-phobe. Crossover distortion is quite high on the RMX and GX, better on the PLX. Only the Yamahas, older Crest, some PV and some Crown have even close to a classical Lin amplifier topology. Most of the off-brands are either QSC clones or absolute junk.

Comment

Originally posted by wg_ski View Post
                        If you saw what was in the QSCs you'd be scared away from using them as home amps. Especially if you're an op-amp-a-phobe. .
                        Ohh I can help with that.:D

Here's what's inside the new Crown Drivecore..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Crown XLS2500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	1146280

The Peavey IPR...

Name:	PeaveyIPR.jpg
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	1146281

Behringer INuke..

Name:	Behringer Inuke.jpg
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1146282

QSC GX5..

Name:	QSC GX5.JPG
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1146283

Yamaha P7000... P5000 is similar..

Name:	P7000s.jpg
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1146284
                        Paul O

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O View Post
                          Ohh I can help with that.:D

Here's what's inside the new Crown Drivecore..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32881[/ATTACH]

Is that the 120V version or the version that autoselects the mains voltage?

I might purchase one of the DriveCores (big thing for me is that the amp be dual-voltage capable either via switch or auto-selection). The Crown was at the top of my list. My concern however is its relatively low sensitivity (compared to home audio amps). 1.4V required to reach full output.
                          Brian Steele
                          www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
                            Is that the 120V version or the version that autoselects the mains voltage?
                            I don't know about this particular one, but I'd be surprised if an entry level product like this had an auto sensing power supply.

Originally posted by Brian Steele View Post
                            My concern however is its relatively low sensitivity (compared to home audio amps). 1.4V required to reach full output.
                            Yep that a common problem, you need something to boost the signal like a processor or EQ or a DI box.
                            Paul O

Comment

I don't know about this particular one, but I'd be surprised if an entry level product like this had an auto sensing power supply.
                              The version available from "Musician's Friend" does - see http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ries-power-amp

Yep that a common problem, you need something to boost the signal like a processor or EQ or a DI box.
                              ...which is the only reason at the moment why I haven't pushed the button on purchasing one. It's a pity it doesn't have some sort of internal switch or jumper that boosts the sensitivity. I'm not really inclined to have to purchase a separate processor just so I can get the best out of this amp when it's connected to my HT system or even just my laptop for testing purposes.
                              Brian Steele
                              www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

Working...
                              X