X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My take on the Bose L1/vertical array with sub

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
    From back at post #16

"A driver you might want to look at though, is the $12 AURA NS3 over at madisound .com

Based on power handling, you could get by with half the number of drivers. Based on Xmax, you could get by with 1/6th to 1/8th the number of drivers."

Alternately, this meant that the $12 NS3s could handle double the wattage, and/or 6X to 8X the excursion before stressing them out.
    Ah, gotcha! You weren't suggesting that I use less drivers. At this point I'm wondering if I should've gotten those, or maybe the original ones I was looking at. This thing is sounding pretty good but I haven't pushed it too far. I've been around 90dB (A-weighted) or so, measured from a few feet away. I don't know how much more it can give without distortion and I'm not sure if that is going to be enough for what I want to do with it.

Of course, I could always build another one and use 2.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
      That depends a lot on what exactly went wrong. Suffice to say, if your replacing it, it's irrelevant.

Yeah, I replaced it. Sounds much better now.

Comment

I finally made a video. I didn't plan on making it so long and rambling. You'll probably want to just skip through it. There's some info on crossover & EQ settings toward the end. I think the recording hypes the low end a little more than I was hearing it, maybe because of the way I was holding the audio recorder. It was about 2-3 feet below my ears and pointed slightly downward. I used a Kodak zi8 for video and a Zoom H2 for audio; synced them afterwards.

I probably don't need to say it on this forum but you should listen on decent speakers or headphones and make sure the quality setting on the video is at least 360p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEZf6FaK8HI

Comment

The upper registers fall off, but we knew that would happen, and I for one am not sure it's a bad thing for the application.

Nice to see it all come together.

Comment

I need some help figuring out my signal processing and amplification options. Right now I'm using a laptop and Pro Tools software to handle crossover and EQ duties and a borrowed amp to drive the system. That works great but I don't want to take a computer every time I use this thing and I'll need to return the amp eventually.

I don't need a whole lot in terms of amplification but the signal processing is very important. I need lots of EQ and flexible crossover options.

The Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP does it all and it seems to be exactly what I need. I even built my subwoofer box with it in mind, making the depth dimension right for it to be mounted on top of the box. I've been doing some research and it seems that the little iNuke may have some reliability issues. Hard to say because there's not that much information on it from actual users who've had it a while but I found a couple YouTube videos from people who had problems with it. I know Behringer makes some reliable, work-horse gear but I'm just worried about this one. Amplifiers are one thing but this unit does a lot in terms of DSP. Maybe too much? Peavey makes something similar but it looks like the DSP is a little more limited, though probably enough to get the job done, but since I can't find much information on it either I have the same concerns.

I'm thinking I might have to go a "safer" route. That would be 1 or 2 units to handle crossover and EQ and a separate amp, or some combination like that. I'm looking for suggestions on how to do what I need and keep it as small, light, cheap, and reliable as possible. The iNuke really can't be beat in terms of the first 3, I know. I might still go with the iNuke but I just need to look at other options.

Comment

The Peavey IPR DSP 1600 is looking like the way to go. While I've had good results with some Behringer products in the past I feel more comfortable with the Peavey brand. Peavey gear has never let me down and I've had excellent experiences with their customer service department. Plus, Peavey's warranty is 5 years compared to Behringer's 3 years. I'm sure if I ever have to make a warranty claim it would be easier to deal with Peavey too.

Comment

What about a minidsp? www.minidsp.com Has eq, crossovers ect. I'm thinking of a line array myself for the band. I'm buying a minidsp for my pod hd500 FRFR monitoring system - PV bandits with Fane 12-200LT's fullrange drivers.

Comment

Interesting... Never heard of it but I'm gonna check it out.

I'm still debating what to do. I'm starting to think I should avoid the digital realm completely. We'll see.

Comment

I would like to know if you completed this build, and how did it turn out?? I hope to do a similar one myself, although I'm planning to use a commercial sub. I have found promising-looking 2-1/2" Dayton Audio speakers for about $8 each, and I should be able to build two 12-driver towers for around $200.
                    Originally posted by samato View Post
                    As of now I think I pretty much have my plan for the 3" drivers and tower. Now I need to make a decision on which subwoofer to buy and what type of enclosure to put it in. What I'd like to do is have the box serve a few different purposes:
                    1) subwoofer enclosure
                    2) house the amplifier (single or dual rack space unit, probably need additional support bracing inside) and crossover, possibly small mixer too (the mixer could stay separate and go on top)
                    3) it must be the base/stand for the tower of 3" drivers, so it will have probably a 4" hole in the top where the PVC pipe goes in (hole is closed when in use obviously)

Keep in mind I really don't need crazy bass from this thing, just nice bottom end to fill things out and pick up what the little drivers can't handle. Bottom end to around 60Hz maybe; down to 40Hz would be nice but probably not likely or necessary.

My current plan is to mount the subwoofer in the front and a passive radiator on the bottom. My reason for the passive radiator design is I think the box will not matter so much and considering all the stuff I have going on inside the box and my need to keep it reasonably small, that would be a good thing. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the stuff Chris Roemer explained above so maybe I'm wrong about this. I was thinking that with a passive radiator, the box only needs to be big enough to mount the sub & PR and the rest of the stuff.

Also keep in mind there are compromises to be made here, mainly in price and size. Of course that affects the sound and I'm okay with that. This doesn't need to be the best, most accurate sounding thing out there. Remember, so many people say the Bose L1 sounds terrible but I like it!

I could use some help figuring out box dimensions and which subwoofer to use. I was looking for the Dayton Series 2 and Delta12LF ones mentioned above but not sure if I found the right ones yet.

Comment

Couldn't you do something similar with just four drivers - http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...river--295-010 - and end up with more power, x-max, excursion and sensitivity in a one cubic foot (vertically-oriented) box? Just asking because I am pondering this for a small, powerful PA unit with a sub under it.

Comment

Originally posted by turnitdown View Post
                        Couldn't you do something similar with just four drivers - http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...river--295-010 - and end up with more power, x-max, excursion and sensitivity in a one cubic foot (vertically-oriented) box?
                        Yes. I do just that with my SLA Pro, which has the option for either 5 or 6.5 inch midbasses plus tweeters. IMO the Bose isn't worthy of being copied, it's an intrinsically flawed design.
                        www.billfitzmaurice.com
                        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by turnitdown View Post
                          Couldn't you do something similar with just four drivers ....
                          Guess that depends on what you mean by similar.
                          B.T.W. Contrary to the pervasive negative internet comments ( :rolleyes: ) on the L1 series:
                          I know several very satisfied users.
                          "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                          “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Working...
                          X