DA175/ Vifa DX25 Clockwork Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DA175/ Vifa DX25 Clockwork Project

These started out as the intended top end of a gloss white 3 way using the DA270, but ended up a stand alone two way with an Orange amps inspired finish. They're a fairly normal cabinet built with .75" MDF and a double layer baffle. The driver cutouts are made to accept other drivers, the proper screw holes are drilled and tweeter terminal notches cut, eliminating the need to build another cabinet just to test other drivers. I like the sound of these, and use them as computer speakers. I submitted them here too: http://projectgallery.parts-express....cts/clockwork/

Click image for larger version

Name:	cw3.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1290689

Name:	cw9.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1290690 Click image for larger version

Name:	cw12.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1290691 Click image for larger version

Name:	cw6.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1290692

Name:	cw4.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1290693

Nice work Chris! I like the recess idea in the seams accented in a different color. A couple of entries at this years MWAF used the DA drivers and I was impressed by their performance.
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Comment

Great looking speaker. I too like the trim lines.
      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Thank you kind sirs

Comment

Nice work and color choices.
          My Build Thread's
          Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Not a fan of the color orange, but these came out very nice. I like the seams. Nice job Chris.
            “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Really nice looking! Can you elaborate on what/how you did the black seams? I really like the contrasting and clean lines.
              ​Andy.

Comment

I used this router bit, at the bottom of the page,
                #8805:
                http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops.../bt_flush.html It's a normal flush trim router bit, with a V shaped notch/cutter on it. I lined up the notch to cut the seam where the MDF but-ted together. It's used the same as a normal flush trim bit, although the flush trimming part of the bit didn't work as good as the others I normally use. I would actually flush trim with a different but first, then cut with the other bit for the V notch. Any filler or primer that got into the grooves can be cleaned with a hacksaw blade or a thin file. I colored the grooves black with a sharpie marker, but a thin paint brush and paint would work as well. Thanks for the kind words

Comment

I must have missed seeing these earlier. Nice job, I like them. I was wondering if it would be ok to add a little volume and port them?

Comment

Thanks It would be fine to build them larger and ported, they are capable of going quite low.

Comment

Looks great! Love the orange finish and trim lines. DIY, you're doing it right.
                      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by chrisn View Post
                        Thanks It would be fine to build them larger and ported, they are capable of going quite low.
                        Cool! One more thing, could I trouble you for the drivers spacing dimensions on the baffle?

Comment

I missed these too, probably because they got posted right as a bunch of MWAF projects got posted. Very sharp and great value driver choice. I bet the bass is sweet and full in a sealed box that size.

Those are the drivers I used for the top end of the Hurricanes and I was very impressed for money, although I think they are better suited to your application.

Well done!

Dan
                          The Hurricanes
                          The Baronettes
                          Conneccentric
                          UX3

Comment

Paul: Thanks!

Jeff: The center of the tweeter is 3" from the top of the cabinet, and the center of the woofer is about 8.5" from the top, with almost .25" between the driver flanges.

Dan: The bass is nice and sounds full. I think I still have the flyer with your Hurricanes in it. I think it's the only other design I've seen crossing these two drivers together.

Comment

Thanks again Chris. I'll be keeping these in mind for a possible future build ☺

Comment

Working...
                              X