Choti Boombox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choti Boombox

I'm just getting started on another boombox build. Its for a buddies son to use in his bedroom. I'm using Navy Guy's Choti build for the base design. I will be increasing the cabinet volume and tuning a little lower than the original specs. I'm also going to increase the baffle width a half inch, I don't think it should effect things too badly. The woofer/tweeter layout will not be changed. I'll post updates here as I go. I got the crossovers put together and tested today and should be cutting wood tomorrow.

What are you planning for the amp?
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
      What are you planning for the amp?
      I'll be using the Wondom 2x30 Bluetooth amp. This one here http://www.parts-express.com/wondom-...bles--320-3519

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post

I'll be using the Wondom 2x30 Bluetooth amp. This one here http://www.parts-express.com/wondom-...bles--320-3519
        That little board seems to be getting some love here lately. Hope you already have the one you need, they show it on back order until late November. Good luck on the build.
        My "No-Name" CC Speaker
        Kerry's "Silverbacks"
        Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
        The Archers
        Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
        The Gandalf's

Comment

That little board seems to be getting some love here lately. Hope you already have the one you need, they show it on back order until late November. Good luck on the build.
          tscan is having an issue with limited power output on the Sure JAB 2x30w board (albeit in mono mode) ... currently trying to sort it out.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...ouder-than-60w

Comment

You should be ok on the baffle change. Your crossovers look nice and tidy. Hope you enjoy!
            -Kerry

Comment

Got all the panels cut to size yesterday and made a trip to Harbor Freight today. I had a hard time keeping the panels square on the last boombox I built. The half inch stock seems to lean more when clamping than 3/4 inch does. I picked up a couple corner clamps that seem pretty nice for $20 a pair. Should make things go more smoothly this time around.

Comment

I do have the board, but I also have another two on order for future projects. I see PE has them listed as back in stock already, much better than the end of November.

Comment

I couldn't tell by your statement, but are you only increasing cabinet volume to lower tuning, or are you increasing cabinet volume AND extending port?

I used the Wondom 2x50 and it does great with the Helium's as long as the material is recorded higher on amplitude. At first I thought the amp was too weak and not delivering, but then another track would play and it would be as I expected and with plenty of volume.

Great design to utilize and I may follow suit on my next build to compare. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.
                  Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                    I couldn't tell by your statement, but are you only increasing cabinet volume to lower tuning, or are you increasing cabinet volume AND extending port?

I used the Wondom 2x50 and it does great with the Helium's as long as the material is recorded higher on amplitude. At first I thought the amp was too weak and not delivering, but then another track would play and it would be as I expected and with plenty of volume.

Great design to utilize and I may follow suit on my next build to compare. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.
                    I'm going to increase volume and end up somewhere around .12 cu ft per side. I plan on trying out the 1"x4" port from PE. If it chuffs too much, I'll try to squeeze in a bigger diameter. I see Matt P has recommended this port with the woofer and same approximate volume several times...I'll give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                      I used the Wondom 2x50 and it does great with the Helium's as long as the material is recorded higher on amplitude.
                      The chip's gain on the 2x30 and 2x50 Sure JAB boards is set to 20dB. The AUX port will need a fairly strong signal to get full power out of the amp. Phones/mp3 players may have an issue driving it. Sure's headphone amp ( http://www.parts-express.com/sure-el...board--320-321) should solve that problem and can be run off the same DC supply as the amp. The headphone amp has two gain selections at 9dB and 15dB. I have no experience with the JAB's BT as a source. If you plan to use the intergrated battery option, you may have rig a power output to the headphone amp.

I have an amp running the same chip set to 26dB gain. My (older) smartphone couldn't drive the that to full volume. I added the headphone amp and it solved the issue for the phone at 26dB amp gain. Never had a problem driving the 26dB amp directly from a PC out port.

Many of these small chip based amps have a similar issue. The amps using the chip's higher gain settings of 32 and 36dB sometimes suffer from noise at low volumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff F.
                        I'm going to increase volume and end up somewhere around .12 cu ft per side. I plan on trying out the 1"x4" port from PE. If it chuffs too much, I'll try to squeeze in a bigger diameter. I see Matt P has recommended this port with the woofer and same approximate volume several times...I'll give it a try.
                        I can tell you from personal experience that you can definitely get port noise on the 1" port before the woofer bottoms out. Going a little bigger will definitely be beneficial. I run mine crossed to a sub as surrounds in my HT so I don't worry about it but full range at high volumes you'll probably have issues.
                        -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                          I can tell you from personal experience that you can definitely get port noise on the 1" port before the woofer bottoms out. Going a little bigger will definitely be beneficial. I run mine crossed to a sub as surrounds in my HT so I don't worry about it but full range at high volumes you'll probably have issues.
                          Do you think using this port http://www.parts-express.com/speaker...lared--260-472 would make a big enough difference? Looks like I would get the same tuning if I trimmed it down to 5 inches.

Comment

The 1-3/8" port would be best if you can fit it and should keep the port output clean all the way up until you start to run into driver issues. But the 1-1/8" flared will definitely be an improvement and should get you close to your driver limits (might get you all the way to the limits) before you will start hearing any issues with the port.
                            -Kerry

Comment

Made some progress today...

Comment

Working...
                              X