Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mattp
    replied
    PI, I wish I had as much talent as your pinky finger. Absolutely stunningly gorgeous as usual.

Leave a comment:

• PassingInterest
    replied
    Thank you for the kind words, Kevin and Ambassador Wolf!

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Kevin- find the subwoofer project he did...

Yeah- PI build threads are a resource!
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Kevin K.
    replied

Holy Cow you're talented Dan! Beautiful work. Cant wait to see how these speakers turn out. I'll butt out now and let you get back to work!

Leave a comment:

• PassingInterest
    replied
    Don, I really appreciate your assistance with this project. Thanks for the wiring diagram and wiring tips.

Leave a comment:

• PassingInterest
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
    Ok, I've just got to ask. Were you a furniture or cabinet maker in another lifetime? I'm looking at all the equipment you have and the stacks of lumber in the background and thinking this couldn't just be for speakers.
    Haha! Thanks, Kevin! I've had no formal woodworking training. I'm self-taught and am enjoying a woodworking hobby in my retirement years. You are right, it's not just speakers. I recently designed and built a coffee table for a friend. I've never made a coffee table before, so this was an interesting challenge for me.

Here is the coffee table, before I added the table top.

Click image for larger version

Name:	045.JPG
Views:	401
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1335148

And here it is complete.

Name:	046.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1335149

Leave a comment:

• Kevin K.
    replied
    Ok, I've just got to ask. Were you a furniture or cabinet maker in another lifetime? I'm looking at all the equipment you have and the stacks of lumber in the background and thinking this couldn't just be for speakers.

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    Spent a few hours last weekend pulling them apart and working on a new tweeter crossover for the 10 degree angle.
    Not real happy w the results, so I'll repeat the effort.

BTW, I numbered all the drivers from top to bottom, then soldered the wires that all reached down to the crossover board
    near the bottom. In retrospect, that added some unnecessary complications .
    So make a sketch for the wiring, top to bottom.

Of course, this is just an assembly aid. The proper connections are made to the crossover later.

I suggest that you wire the intermediate connections ( 1 pos to 3 neg) , (4 pos to 5 neg), (6 pos to 7 neg) directly between the
    drivers (taking great care with polarity of course). Only wire to the bottom the connections for neg in and pos in.
    Makes things simpler later.

And it's easy to make a polarity mistake (at least for me). Get a battery and check each woofer before you close it up.

Leave a comment:

• PassingInterest
    replied
    Thanks, Don! I hope they are as excited about the project as I am!

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied
    Looking pretty awesome! There's going to be some happy peeps soon.

Leave a comment:

• PassingInterest
    replied
    With Mrs. Interest.

Name:	044.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1335082

Leave a comment:

• PassingInterest
    replied
    Here is my clamping scheme. I began by installing the bottom, using Titebond 2. And the port piece got installed on the back, using Rapidfuse superglue for wood and the accelerator mentioned earlier in this thread and just held it in place with my hand for a few seconds.

Name:	040.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1334960

I did a dry-fit check, to make sure the port was angled properly before gluing the back in place.

Name:	041.JPG
Views:	471
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1334961

Glued and clamped the back in place.

Name:	042.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1334962

The first cabinet is a little ahead of the others.

Name:	043.JPG
Views:	468
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1334963

Leave a comment:

• PassingInterest
    replied
    Boring a hole in the back for the connector cup.

Name:	037.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1334938

Marking the screw holes.

Name:	038.JPG
Views:	457
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1334939

One back installed, three braces, one bottom and one slot port. That's as far as I got before I ran out of time for today.

Name:	039.JPG
Views:	484
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1334940

Leave a comment:

• PassingInterest
    replied
    I deliberately oversized the baffle width and length. The width will be trimmed with a router after it is glued onto the cabinet. To trim the length and put a 10 degree bevel on the bottom edge, I first need a straight reference edge along one side.

Name:	033.JPG
Views:	488
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1334934

Name:	034.JPG
Views:	475
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1334935

I tilted the miter saw 10 degrees to cut the lower edge of the baffles. I'll set the saw back to 0 degrees when I cut the other end to length.

Name:	036.JPG
Views:	486
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1334936

Leave a comment:

• PassingInterest
    replied
    KEtheredge87 - Thanks! Documenting with photos is worth the extra time if I am helping others with their projects.

Originally posted by donradick View Post
    @Passing -

do you ever have problems with your double-thick baffle glueups coming out warped?
    The last one I did was a little warped, but I was able to glue to the box just fine.
    Wonder how you might check, once the boards are covered with clamps.
    I have seen some very slight warping, but it pulls flat when clamped to the cabinet. If I were concerned about it - perhaps because I had some warped stock to begin with I would flatten the baffle when gluing a double or triple layer by either clamping it to my workbench or by using clamping cauls. As for checking for flatness after all the clamps are on - If you can't get a straight edge on the surface or along the edge, because there is just no gap available, it may be worthwhile to remove some clamps long enough for a quick check.

Originally posted by donradick View Post
    re: braces - sheesh I've built a bunch of boxes, and read about a whole lot of builds, and
    no one ever thought to make a window pane brace from scraps. Makes so much sense.
    I consider the effort to cut and glue scraps about even with cutting a bunch of holes in a solid work piece to form a brace. But as I said earlier, using up a bunch of scraps instead of cutting new stock for braces appeals to my Inner Cheapskate.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X